PDA

View Full Version : Value (not monetary) of old Magazines

Tony Wilkins
12-08-2013, 1:11 PM
Got an email with an offer of a DVD of all the issues of Fine Woodworking for $99. Going back and forth whether it's something that will be of value to me. So what do you guys think? 100 bucks for FW issues back to 1975?

Frederick Skelly
12-08-2013, 1:31 PM
I snagged a nearly complete set of WOOD several years ago. Ive spent many nights going through them for desirable tools, shop tips and projects. Having them has been worthwhile.

But they take about 2 full shelves in my shop that Id really rather use for something else. So the idea of DVDs is tempting, especially with the advent of hi-res tablet machines. But reading magazines on a computer can be different than reading the hardcopy. I know people who love iPads but hate ebooks. Also, sometimes its "harder" to work with an old magazine thats been scanned than one specifically formatted for ebook use.

I suggest buying 1-2 electronic copies of FWW and reading them on your device. That wont be a one to one comparison (its not a print copy scanned) but it will give you a sense of whether you can work with it.

Im probably going to buy that FWW set after the Holidays if Santa doesnt bring it.

Thought of this later: Id check to see if you can copy the files on the DVD to your devices storage or if they have to stay on the DVD. Faster to access from hard drive and tablets dont have DVD readers?
Fred

Jim Koepke
12-08-2013, 1:34 PM
Got an email with an offer of a DVD of all the issues of Fine Woodworking for $99. Going back and forth whether it's something that will be of value to me. So what do you guys think? 100 bucks for FW issues back to 1975?

I do not recall what the deal was that was offered a couple of years ago. It may have been $49 for a previous year's DVD.

On Taunton's website they offer the DVD with a special bonus book for $99.95.

Of course, this is only of issues before the date of the DVD.

Mine is loaded on my computer and I find it is a great reference at times. It is searchable and is easier than rounding up all the old issues to look for something like how to make "egg & dart" molding.

jtk

Jim Koepke
12-08-2013, 1:39 PM
But reading magazines on a computer can be different than reading the hardcopy.

Especially with my set up since my computer doesn't get out to the shop.

My solution is printing any pages wanted and then taking those out to the shop for use.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-08-2013, 1:46 PM
So Jim, youre saying you have been able to copy it off the DVD? It wasnt protected somehow? Thats good news! Can you tell us how much storage space that took (Mbytes, Gbytes)? Id be interested to know that.

Thank you,
Fred

Jim Koepke
12-08-2013, 1:59 PM
So Jim, youre saving you have been able to copy it off the DVD? It wasnt protected somehow? Thats good news! Can you tell us howm much storage space that took (Mbytes, Gbytes)? Id be interested to know that.

Thank you,
Fred

It doesn't seem to be protected for the edition I purchased.

It looks like I loaded it in October of 2008.

The information on it looks like it is taking about 3.6 GB.

Here is a screen shot of the opening page:

All the covers are displayed on the page plus there is the search ability.

Right now I am missing 5 years of the publication, though I have bought a few off the news stands when they catch my eye.

In a few years I may consider buying an update.

Yes, I think it is worth it.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-08-2013, 2:02 PM
Thanks Jim!

Winton Applegate
12-08-2013, 2:36 PM
Nah dude, nah.
From what I hear it is very slow to use because it won't all fit in memory and the index and contents are not linked to the text.
Second and most important THERE IS A LOT THAT IS MISSING. due to copy right and royalties issues.
I have been an online subscriber and there are articles that I am looking at in my paper magazines that are simply not there in the digital version and this is the explanation I received from FWW staff.

You can't hardly do better than the majority of FWW magazines though. How ever you come by them.

Simon MacGowen
12-08-2013, 4:08 PM
A digital version can't replace the print version but it has the search function that the print version can't offer. I got mine (up to 2011?) from eBay for under $30, authentic and original copy from a previous owner.

Simon

Andrew Kertesz
12-08-2013, 6:07 PM
The digital subscription access is different than buying the DVD. If you need to upgrade memory it is cheap. I upgraded my laptop to 2GB of memory for about $60.00. That is not the way computers work, they don" store the whole DVD in memory. My laptop is several years old and I don't have any problems looking at or searching a specific issue or article.

Jack Curtis
12-08-2013, 6:35 PM
A digital version can't replace the print version but it has the search function that the print version can't offer. I got mine (up to 2011?) from eBay for under $30, authentic and original copy from a previous owner.

+1 I really hate reading magazine articles on screen, especially two-column formats, too much back and forth required; but it's very handy to search online and read on paper. Not FWW, seldom even look at them in the racks these days; but a few old black and white versions are invaluable; but Wood and PWW.

Derek Cohen
12-08-2013, 6:47 PM

Hi Tony

I have the FWW mags on CD and, even better, I have the entire Woodwork series, which is/was the best woodworking magazine. The FWW cd is easy to search through and makes a valuable resource, while the Woodwork cd is poorly formatted for a small laptop (13" MacBook Pro) and the search facility is terrible. However ...

I extracted all the PDF files for both magazines, and copied them via iTunes onto my iPad. They are accessed through the App "Books", where each magazine's cover is displayed on the bookshelf. I love re-reading these magazines, especially Woodwork and the old editions of FWW. The iPad makes it really easy to read, and especially easy to take with me on both long overseas plane flights and holidays.

All magazines are complete, adverts and all. There is no suggestion of a page being manually scanned. I am about to manually scan the set I have of Home Furniture, which was a great magazine on design. There were only 14 editions of that and then Taunton ended the mag. Another great magazine that I'd love to see again.

Regards from Perth

Derek

maximillian arango
12-09-2013, 12:19 AM
For 100 dollars I would pass on anything digital when I use to buy magazines I would just buy a "lot" of magazines on ebay and when I would get through those I would then look for another "lot" to purchase and eventually I had a pretty complete collection of a certain publication for automotive magazines for around 150 which is more than the amount you would pay for the digital copies but would be cheaper then buying the digital copies and printing it out. I would run into having multiple copies of a magazine but the way I fixed the problem was by going to flea markets with those repeats and trading those for editions I didn't have. Examples of trades would be me trading a magazine and a dollar for an edition I didn't have or trading two edition for one and eventually I rid myself of all doubles. Yes I know this is time consuming but I'm young and dumb and I still think I will live forever so the amount of time I put into things doesn't bother me.

I would buy a digital copy if it was sup 30 dollars if that helps.

Harold Burrell
12-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I own it and I like it. A lot. WAY easy to search and it is indeed printable. 200+ issues for $100? That's kind of hard to beat. I will probably end up doing the same with other mags as well.

I saved it to my HD for easy access (3GB). And I was even able to make a back-up DVD.

Tom Vanzant
12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
FWIW: "Woodsmith" and "Shopnotes" have similar DVDs of all editions prior to the DVD release, but also give you digital access to editions after that release at no additional charge.

Harold Burrell
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
but also give you digital access to editions after that release at no additional charge.

WHAT??? SERIOUSLY??? New ones free!???

OK...I know what I want for Christmas!

Jack Curtis
12-09-2013, 6:25 PM
FWIW: "Woodsmith" and "Shopnotes" have similar DVDs of all editions prior to the DVD release, but also give you digital access to editions after that release at no additional charge.

That's cool, wonder if any of the others do that, too.

Tony Wilkins
12-11-2013, 6:34 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered the cd.

John McClanahan
12-11-2013, 9:51 PM
I own it and I like it. A lot. WAY easy to search and it is indeed printable. 200+ issues for $100? That's kind of hard to beat.

Not hard to beat. Peachtree Woodworking Supply had the DVD an sale for $59.99. Mine is on order.

John

Tony Wilkins
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Why didn't you post that before I ordered - D 'OH