PDA

View Full Version : Complete JT Vacuum System?

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 8:21 AM
Even with all the great DIY info on vacuum chucking systems here and elsewhere, right now I'm just not into doing it myself.
Making multiple trips during the holiday shopping season back to get hardware I either didn't know I needed, or had forgotten? Ugh. I'd rather be turning.
Thinking about buying the "whole enchilada" from JT Turning Tools.
Pump, system hardware kit, adapter and hub.
I'm only aware of a couple "turn key" systems offered by other folks, and this one is easily the best I've seen.
Anything I'm missing here? Or other thoughts?
Thanks much.

Bruce Markwardt
12-08-2013, 8:28 AM
I pretty much did what you're proposing when I got my new lathe. I have been very happy with the setup. Maybe not the most cost effective way to go but I saved a lot of potential frustration.

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 8:31 AM
That's exactly what I'm looking for - avoiding frustration. Thanks.

Bob Bergstrom
12-08-2013, 8:33 AM
I have everything but his pump. At the time he was having trouble with the supply people in China. If the pump is as good as the rest, go for it. I ended up with a Gast from Craft Supply. I like the hub so much I bought a second so I don't have to change the PVC pipe. Gauges , valves and adapter make it "plug and play. I would buy it all again.

Steve Mawson
12-08-2013, 8:38 AM
Don't think you can go wrong with this system. Tom is a good guy and very easy to work with. I have most of JT's system and have been very pleased.

Eric Holmquist
12-08-2013, 9:43 AM
I already had a Gast pump so went with his rotary adapter and chuck, fantastic design.

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Ordered it, and looking forward to saying "What took me so long to go vacuum?", as I've read is common.

Jeffrey J Smith
12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Like Eric, I already had a good pump and gauge/manifold setup, but bought the adapter and the hub from JT when I setup my new lathe. When you order the vacuum adaptor from Robust, they supply the the JT adaptor. I bought the hub because it looked like a good option to making them from scratch. While I've made chucks from faceplates and wood or threading wood directly, these are so much easier and foolproof I've had better luck using the hub.
After setting up my first system on a Jet 1642 and chasing leaks from a cheap adaptor and tweaking chucks until blue in the face, it was a joy to setup the vac system on the new lathe and have it just work right the first time. Didn't know the pump would pull the theoretical limit, but it does...could be the gauge is just on the optimistic side, but I never had to use the bleeder valve on the Jet.

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Looks like it will also be very quick and easy to take off and on as well. I didn't really want to have to have a dedicated vacuum lathe.

Mike Tilley
12-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Dune I bought the complete system from him after seeing it at Swat this year. So far has worked great and set up was easy. Have used it more than I thought i would have. So far it has been a good investment( compared to some of my other must have purchases ) I use it a lot when starting segmented pieces.

Grant Wilkinson
12-08-2013, 7:11 PM
I bought a custom made hand wheel for my Vega and his hub. Both are excellent. FWIW, I use rubber chucky seals for the pvc pipe set into Tom's hubs. I was using all kinds of different weatherstripping material. Rubber Chucky is just another time saver that works a treat.