PDA

View Full Version : Before and After

Robert McGowen
12-07-2013, 11:45 PM
The beginning and the end. It always amazes me what a little bit of sandpaper and finish can do to the wood. And yes, the first photo and the second photo are the same pieces of wood!

Michael Kellough
12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I've never seen that dowel trick before, but I've never studied segmented turning. It's a great idea.

James Combs
12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I've never seen that dowel trick before, but I've never studied segmented turning. It's a great idea.
I am not a segment-or by any stretch... but I believe I could figure out how to do it, however, I am drawing a blank on the purpose of the dowels. What's so great about their use?

A great looking bangle BTW.

Robert McGowen
12-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I am drawing a blank on the purpose of the dowels. What's so great about their use?

James, If you glue it up into 2 halves with a round spacer between them, the spacer takes out any errors in the cuts. It kind of acts like a pivot point so that all of the segments slide into exact alignment. You then sand the ends of the halves flush, which is where any errors accumulate, and glue them together. If you look at the finished product, it is hard to see that it is really 12 individual pieces of wood. :cool:

James Combs
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM
James, If you glue it up into 2 halves with a round spacer between them, the spacer takes out any errors in the cuts. It kind of acts like a pivot point so that all of the segments slide into exact alignment. You then sand the ends of the halves flush, which is where any errors accumulate, and glue them together. If you look at the finished product, it is hard to see that it is really 12 individual pieces of wood. :cool:
Gotcha, thanks, makes a lot of sense "now". :-)

Pat Scott
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Very nice. What's the finished size?

Paul Engle
12-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Robert , Curious to note how you chucked it up to turn ??? Neat looking item really . what wood is that ? looks like quarter sawn Lacey Oak .

Robert McGowen
12-08-2013, 6:55 PM
Robert , Curious to note how you chucked it up to turn ??? Neat looking item really . what wood is that ? looks like quarter sawn Lacey Oak .

Paul, The wood is Lacewood, also known as Leopardwood. To turn it, I simply used a chuck with small jaws to hold the inside and larger jaws to hold the outside.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-08-2013, 7:46 PM
Nice !!, good way to keep the lace showing all around :cool:

Paul Engle
12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Paul, The wood is Lacewood, also known as Leopardwood. To turn it, I simply used a chuck with small jaws to hold the inside and larger jaws to hold the outside.

Lacewood , that is what I was thinking about ... and hard to tell by the picture what the dia's are ... I used the dowel trick when I made a flour container for the LOML in Honduras mahogany ( took blue ribbon at the fair in 2009 ) It ( the dowels ) work very well !

Robert McGowen
12-09-2013, 2:22 PM
For those that asked, the inside diameter is 2.75". Yes, that is kind of large, but it was a custom fit for someone.

Tom Winship
12-12-2013, 6:07 PM
Robert, you mean you don't cut your segments precise enough that they will fit properly without cheating with dowels, LOL? Beautiful piece.
TW

Kyle Iwamoto
12-12-2013, 6:44 PM
That's a LOT of sanding......

Nice!

Robert McGowen
12-12-2013, 8:50 PM
Robert, you mean you don't cut your segments precise enough that they will fit properly without cheating with dowels, LOL? Beautiful piece.
TW

Tom, I cut them precise enough, it is simply that the glue and the wood have some sort of conspiracy going on that I have not figured out yet!

Rob Boesem
12-13-2013, 12:33 AM
For those that asked, the inside diameter is 2.75". Yes, that is kind of large, but it was a custom fit for someone.

I find 2 5/8" is quite a common size, and I make many at 2.75" as well.....

Nice work, Robert!

Tom Winship
12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Tom, I cut them precise enough, it is simply that the glue and the wood have some sort of conspiracy going on that I have not figured out yet!

I am convinced that segmenting is in four dimensions, although I can't define said fourth. That's my story for not fitting and I'm sticking to it.

Raymond Fries
12-16-2013, 8:50 AM
Beautiful piece and excellent craftsmanship. I love the lacewood.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Tom Winship
12-25-2013, 9:13 AM
Robert, have you considered glueing the blank to a glue block, turning, sanding and then parting off? I hate it when I stick the tool into the chuck.

Robert McGowen
12-26-2013, 1:56 PM
Robert, have you considered glueing the blank to a glue block, turning, sanding and then parting off? I hate it when I stick the tool into the chuck.

Tom, Unless I am missing something, I would still have the back side of the bracelet that I parted off to turn. Using the chuck, you basically shape half of the bracelet, spin it around to the other side in the chuck, and then shape to match the other side.

Greg Just
12-26-2013, 2:55 PM
The half-ring method is pretty standard for those who do segmenting. It is very hard to get that angle perfect and as stated by others, the dowel allows for the error to come out. After the half-rings dry, you just use a disk sander to true up the ends.
I am not a segment-or by any stretch... but I believe I could figure out how to do it, however, I am drawing a blank on the purpose of the dowels. What's so great about their use?

A great looking bangle BTW.

Gus Dundon
12-27-2013, 5:02 PM
Sanding is the best part. Well polished and finish is amazing! Good job.