PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing bit shape

Brad Adams
12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
What shape do you guys grind your tool bits to for hollowing vessels?
This is the shape I grind most of my tool bits to in my home made hollowing rig. Any suggestions on a better angle to grind them?

Brad Adams
12-07-2013, 11:10 PM
It's seems the picture I loaded is upside down, sorry about that.

Scott Hackler
12-07-2013, 11:38 PM
That's pretty much standard. Sometimes I will either increase the angle of the grind or grind off the heel to keep the heel from dragging when I am doing a palm sized HF. Once shaped, I don't take it back to the grinder very often and instead freshen up the burr with a 600 grit diamond hone.

Thom Sturgill
12-08-2013, 7:10 AM
I would angle the left side just a bit. Maybe the area that appears shaded, or about half that. Kinda like with a bowl scraper I tend to cut not just with the nose, but also with that side of the nose.

Since it is a scraper, honing the top prior to grinding to remove the old burr and when touching it up with a stone (before rubbing the bevel with the hone to raise a fresh burr) is probably a good practice.

Wally Dickerman
12-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Looks like the way I grind my tool bits except mine have a longer side grind and it's on the right side. (I'm a lefty)

Reed Gray
12-08-2013, 1:12 PM
Well, I looked and couldn't find it on You Tube, but John Lucas had a clip up about sharpening the boring bar tips. He had it in a jig, and would round the nose a tiny bit, then keeping the bit square to the wheel, would push it forward around the edge of the wheel. It looked to do an excellent job, and a bit easier than rotating the jig. I think that is what the radius edged wheels from D Way are supposed to excel at, when compared to the square edges.

robo hippy

Reed Gray
12-08-2013, 2:32 PM
Here is the link to sharpening hollowing tips that John did. The part concerning hollowing tips is near the end. He does some really nice videos. Haven't had a chance to meet him yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G16ylEZHQ

robo hippy

Dennis Ford
12-08-2013, 3:12 PM
Yours looks a lot like mine at the tip, like Wally; I use a longer side grind.

Harry Robinette
12-08-2013, 5:31 PM
I round and bevel mine about 1/4" down the sides. That way I can cut easier pushing and pulling but I don't use a burr I hone the top flat then make a pass around the bevel with my hone. With just the sharp edge without the burr I don't get the grabbyness or the burr. i found this from using a bore bar if you take the burr off you can smooth the inside much easier so I do it to the small one's and can keep better control.Just my way.