PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice on making a structure "permanent"

Adam Berry
12-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Hello Everyone I'm new to the message boards. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm hoping someone can help me. I would like to set up a small farm for the family and have a permanent shelter in place. The land in Arkansas has zoning requirements that do not allow mobile homes - or at least only for 6 months - as long as I'm actually in the process of building a permanent structure.

Is there a way to make a structure like the one shown in the picture shown below accepted legally as permanent.. or is there's a possibility of adapting a larger mobile home that looks like a ranch style house and have it be considered permanent?

Here's the research I've done below. I'm looking to have the town accept a structure delivered to the land where the following alterations are made:

"From a home inspector's structural viewpoint:

A permanent foundation consists of a system of masonry block piers with concrete footings placed in several designated structural points below the (single-wide or double-wide) mobile home. In addition, metal anchor straps need to be installed between the metal framing at the bottom of the mobile home and soil/grade to ensure the structure is properly secured for wind and seismic restraint. The towing and wheel axle assemblies also need to be removed below the home for it to be considered a permanent installation per HUD and lender policies. You may also see a masonry block foundation wall below the perimeter of a mobile home. A masonry block foundation wall can provide additional structural support below a mobile home. However, the foundation system of masonry block piers and anchor straps typically provide the necessary structural support required by HUD and lenders.

The foundation for a framed house with a crawlspace or basement typically consists of a system of (masonry block, steel, or pressure-treated wood) piers/columns with concrete footings and masonry block or poured concrete foundation walls. A framed home is typically secured to the foundation via anchor bolts installed along top of the perimeter foundation walls.

In essence, foundations for a mobile home and framed home are very similar. Mobile homes may be considered by some to be less likely to withstand extreme wind conditions. However, any type of structure (mobile or fixed) does not fair very well when impacted by a tornado."

Bill ThompsonNM
12-08-2013, 12:48 AM
A lot of jurisdictions consider a mobile home dropped onto a permanent foundation as a permanent structure.
Check into your local jurisdiction. If that doesn't work, look into modular housing or a kit house (e.g. A log home kit).
Pricing is usually pretty good.

Good luck!

Jamie Buxton
12-08-2013, 11:01 AM
They also may require a well and a septic system.