PDA

View Full Version : The new Grizzly 12" 5HP G0696 table saw eats some 4x6's

Charles Coolidge
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Well I had a Powermatic 15HH planer and Grizzly cyclone dust collector I purchased earlier in the year and I finally purchased the rest of the new machines recently and assembled them (table saw, band saw, jointer, mortiser). Finally I got started on my first project yesterday, a 30x60 torsion box mobile bench.

First test cut on the table saw, oh yes I did throw a 4x6 at it! VERY happy with the saw so far, while all the other machines had minor quality issues which I fixed on my own this table saw was near perfect from the factory. Fit and finish were fantastic, cleanly tapped holes properly located, good quality fasteners, brute of a 30x48 inch 2 inch thick cast iron table, black epoxy coated rails....look I have a Powermatic PM2000 sitting a few feet away the Grizzly has it beat on all fronts. Blade to miter slot set at the factory, it was within .001 no adjustment required. Same for the fence to miter slot. It powered through these 4x6's though I need to get some wax on the table, it was hard to judge how easily it cut them as the table needs to be waxed (its jut got a coat of Boeshield on it) and the beams are big, heavy, and slightly damp.

Anyway here's some pics.

Here's the other new machines

Grizzly G0514X2B 19" bandsaw

Shop Fox W1743 Mortiser

Grizzly G0490 8" jointer with Byrd Shelix cutter head

Ralph Butts
12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Nice tools Charles, congratulations. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and critiques of the W1743 mortiser. I have been waffling on making a purchase now that the unit is on clearance.

Charles Coolidge
12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Nice tools Charles, congratulations. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and critiques of the W1743 mortiser. I have been waffling on making a purchase now that the unit is on clearance.

Ralph unfortunately I think you may have missed out on the $995 W1743 Grizzly has yanked it from their site and its noted as 'discontinued' now. Amazon still has a couple but are asking $1,399. You may kick yourself after I tell you the following...the Shop Fox pictured on Grizzly's site is not the machine they shipped me. Still says Shop Fox, still says model W1743 but the machine I received is identical to the $500 more expensive Grizzly G0448 heavy duty mortiser. In fact it has one key improvement over the Grizzly, their are now 2 bolts front and rear (4 total) to secure the tilting column vs the Grizzly single bolt which I felt was a design flaw. The Shop Fox pictured on the website was the older design, shorter base, column bolted to the base differently. Here are some pics to reference. I don't know what's going on with this Shop Fox machine, why go to all the trouble of updating the Shop Fox to the beefier Grizzly mortiser design then discontinue it. I'm wondering if they are not in the process of closing out all the older Shop Fox machines and replacing it with the newer design I received. I'm half wondering if they shipped me one of the new ones for the close out price of the old ones.

Here's the Shop Fox they advertised on the website, note the shorter base and different method of mounting the column. That design has been around for a long time for tilting columns, a center hub with a couple bolts to lock it left and right.

Here's the $500 more expensive Grizzly, note the longer base and the column rides on those L shaped supports, note the single bolt to lock the column labeled P in the picture.

Here's the Shop Fox machine they actually shipped me, its identical to the Grizzly but note it has 2 bolts front and rear now to lock the column. Plus the typical Shop Fox cosmetic upgrades, chrome vs black oxide mostly.

Ralph Butts
12-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Charles I noticed the same thing on the website a few weeks ago. I found the special in the Christmas catalog I received in the mail. I guess I will have to wait until Monday to call. Unfortunately I cannot tell which version is in the catalog due to the frontal pic.

Charles Coolidge
12-08-2013, 1:56 AM
Ralph that's the older style short base pictured in the Christmas catalog, same exact photo on the website and same photo in the user manual. To my knowledge a picture of the newer style I received does not exist. Even the user manual I received with the mortiser was for the older style machine and therefore not correct. I just grabbed the Grizzly manual and was good to go. Good luck, hopefully they can locate one for you Monday.

Ralph Butts
12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks Charles!! If I am not successful maybe you will let me come over and admire yours. BTW I also have the 514x2 with the brake pedal. I am the second owner and I have been very, very happy with it. Thanks for the info and enjoy the new toys.