PDA

View Full Version : Used Router Buying Tips?

Marty Tippin
12-07-2013, 9:49 AM
I'm going to look at a used PC 7518 router today that was used in a cabinet shop. Price is attractive but I wonder if there's anything special I should look for in terms of wear and tear before I buy it? Do the motor bearings or brushes tend to wear out? How would I know if they need to be replaced?

pat warner
12-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Whilst I have several 7518's, was in on the R&D of that machine and the 7539, and like its compromise preformance, I would not touch a "refurbised" or used Speedmatic, independent of price.

Jerome Stanek
12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Bearings and brushes are easy to replace and very cheap.

Mike Cutler
12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
If possible you can test the machine out and see how it performs. Turn the router on with a good sized, like maybe a T&G or Lock miter bit, and while it is turned on rotate it through a circular axis like a clock. Listen for changes in noise when the machine is in any position other than router bit pointed straight down.
Brushes and bearings are easy to replace, how cheap, I don't know.

However,,,, If Pat Warner is telling you to pass, independent of price, I'd strongly suggest you take his advice over mine. ;)

Marty Tippin
12-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Whilst I have several 7518's, was in on the R&D of that machine and the 7539, and like its compromise preformance, I would not touch a "refurbised" or used Speedmatic, independent of price.

Why not, Pat? What problems would I expect to run into?

I'm looking at this router primarily for use in my router table. Light duty, hobbyist type use. I can probably live with minor imperfection. But I don't want to buy a basket case that I'll never be able to re-sell....

Jerome Stanek
12-07-2013, 4:26 PM
the 7518 is a real workhorse I had one on my CNC and only had to replace the brushes and bearings. I did replace the collet after hundreds of hours and tool changes but for a hobby user you most likely won't have to do that. Some of the files I ran were in the 6 to 8 hour long runs.

Jeff Duncan
12-07-2013, 5:40 PM
I'm a huge fan of used machinery, small power tools however much less so. These are almost disposable tools these days as there are few places left around here that will repair them, and the ones that do will cost almost as much as a new tool! For me the price should be half or less than new and the tool should obviously be in working condition. If that's the case then I'd go for it and get whatever you can out of the tool. Brushes can wear out but it takes a LONG time, bearings will usually go before brushes in my experience. Of course long before you have to replace either of those you'll probably need a new switch and cord;)

good luck,
JeffD

Richard Coers
12-07-2013, 5:46 PM
If it comes from a commercial shop, just plan on new bearings, brushes, and collets. The 7518 is a workhorse, but the speed controller is really old technology. They are slow to respond to load. I had one in a table and used raised panel bits in it. When you routed the end grain, it dropped speed and then took time to recover. Then when it came out of the wood, it went to overspeed, then slowed back down. I much prefer the Dewalt 625 with a RouterRazer on it.

Marty Tippin
12-07-2013, 8:24 PM
I went ahead and bought the PC 7518 router, appears to be in good shape other than the cord has been cut and repaired a couple of times. Doesn't make any strange noises, speed adjusts smoothly. Ran it for 60 seconds or so and checked the lower bearing, wasn't more than a few degrees above room temperature. Came with a square base plus a round one, wrenches and a 1/2" spiral upcut bit. The cord damage doesn't bother me, as I'm going to replace it with a hard-wired cord to the switch box on the router table anyway.

All for $140 so don't think I did too bad. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Loren Woirhaye
12-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Used handheld power tools can be a crapshoot. Cords can get degraded even with modest use, and even new routers can start making bearing noises (in my experience) after minor use. Thus I think a good indicator is the outside case of the tool, dents, scratches and scuffed paint. That tells a lot about how it's been used. Modern power tools hold up very well if they aren't abused but for a tool that's been in a commercial shop, abuse is not uncommon.

pat warner
12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
"Why not, Pat? What problems would I expect to run into?"
Nothing profound here.
Wiresets are the first to go. Machine has twist depth of cut.
As such, the wire wears prematurely as it wraps willy nilly.
Brushes last forever, tho brush wipe is common, bearings squeal & runout to .005" is ordinary. Without due care, the inside of the motor barrel galls, especially when used upside down. Collets are simple, durable but need replacing.
Biggest problem: Speed brain. Microprocessor is not reliable.
As with any router, all the components fail with use, abuse & accidents; they're expendable. The difference between what you paid and a new tool might be 2 router bits. I'd rather have a new tool.
And new 7518's are pretty good tools.

Lee Reep
12-08-2013, 11:54 AM
In general, I think I'd avoid anything that was used in a cabinet shop, just because it has probably dozens to hundreds of times more usage than you'd ever expect in a lifetime of a hobbyist's use of a router.

I guess the first question I'd ask would be "why are they selling it?". I'm not sure I'd worry about brushes, they seem to last forever, but running it might give you at least a first pass opinion on whether bearings seem OK.

My philosophy is definitely different than when I was younger. I'd look for used deals on older stuff all the time. Now I buy the best I can and figure it will last me for the rest of my life, or until my family tells me I'm a danger to myself and too old to work in my shop .... :)

Stephen Cherry
12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I went ahead and bought the PC 7518 router, appears to be in good shape other than the cord has been cut and repaired a couple of times. Doesn't make any strange noises, speed adjusts smoothly. Ran it for 60 seconds or so and checked the lower bearing, wasn't more than a few degrees above room temperature. Came with a square base plus a round one, wrenches and a 1/2" spiral upcut bit. The cord damage doesn't bother me, as I'm going to replace it with a hard-wired cord to the switch box on the router table anyway.

All for $140 so don't think I did too bad. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Looks pretty clean to me. This is a tool that could have been used all day every day, or lightly used on occasion. It looks like you got a nice one.

Marty Tippin
12-08-2013, 4:43 PM
When it rains, it pours, I guess...

I sat down this morning to browse Craigslist and the first ad I saw was for a PC 7518 less than 2 months old for $200, plus a nearly-new large Freud raised panel / backcutter bit, PC raised panel, PC rail & stile bits and a new in the box Freud T&G bit set, all for $320.

Seller seems to be in a cash crunch; he bought the router for a small cabinet job and then the buyer backed out. This one has a 2013 date on the serial number plate so I think I made out pretty well compared to $350 for brand new.