PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Finished with Fabric Details

Mark Singer
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
The speaker cloth came in yesterday and LOML and I wrapped the panels using contact cement to strech the cloth. As with many designs the details are important...There is a wenge base and a wenge surround that frames the panels. I chamfered the edges to "pillow" each surface. The sides flanking the TV are curved....tablesaw and spokeshave came in handy.

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
The speaker cloth came in yesterday and LOML and I wrapped the panels using contact cement to strech the cloth. As with many designs the details are important...There is a wenge base and a wenge surround that frames the panels. I chamfered the edges to "pillow" each surface. The sides flanking the TV are curved....tablesaw and spokeshave came in handy.Very nice. Two questions:
1. Any particular reason you used contact cement? I've always used staples for this job, both to make later recovering easier and if the fabric has any pattern (even a distinctive texture), the staples are much easier to get straight "edges" with.
2. What's that big gourdlike thing over to the left of the TV?

Bill Lewis
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
2. What's that big gourdlike thing over to the left of the TV?In California they call that "Art":D
Or, it's Mark's secret stasch of schlamaca wood.

Geez, I hope I spelled schlamaca correctly!?

Mark Singer
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
It is a palm base from Bali.....We brought over a few from our trip

Contact cement on the back is much better!It is the way the speaker companies do it...see this site:

http://www.humanspeakers.com/howto/grill-cloth.htm

Roy Wall
06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey Mark...

Looks good - I like the "pillow":) Looking forward to seeing it in person...sent you a PM!!

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Contact cement on the back is much better! It is the way the speaker companies do it...see this site: http://www.humanspeakers.com/howto/grill-cloth.htm Oh. It looks like "contact cement" in this context is different from what I think of when I hear that term. I was thinking in terms of the "can't move it once it touches" stuff used for laminates.

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 3:32 PM
Excellent adaptation for the new display, Mark. Looks great!!

John Miliunas
06-08-2005, 9:02 PM
Typical "Singer Style"! Class act, all the way. Very clean looking, Mark. Sheeeesh...You just don't do anything half-baked, do you? Well done!:) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 9:08 PM
Very nice Mark! Now that is how to watch TV!

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
06-09-2005, 9:57 AM
Very nice Mark! Looks like a factory made it!

M. A. Espinoza
06-09-2005, 8:25 PM
Beautiful work.

Say, what is the BF price for Wenge out there? I have an upcoming project that calls for it and am trying to brace myself. I'm remembering about 16/bf last time I looked.

Love that big screen.

Mark Singer
06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
It seems to be at about $15 ....8/4 is more....This was from stock...
Beautiful work.

Say, what is the BF price for Wenge out there? I have an upcoming project that calls for it and am trying to brace myself. I'm remembering about 16/bf last time I looked.

Love that big screen.

David Fried
06-09-2005, 10:42 PM
It is a palm base from Bali.....

oh good, I thought it might be a souvenir from your Haight Ashbury days :D

The covering looks great! Really ties the whole unit together and lets it slip into the background.

Tim Morton
06-10-2005, 7:33 AM
Looks really great....I'm assuming you don't have any cats?:D

John Renzetti
06-10-2005, 9:01 AM
hi Mark, Very nice. Very clean design.
Question. Are there any video components built into this unit.
take care,
John

Mark Singer
06-10-2005, 9:11 AM
John,

They are in a seperate cabinet about 30 feet away....

hi Mark, Very nice. Very clean design.
Question. Are there any video components built into this unit.
take care,
John