PDA

View Full Version : are flame ups normal?

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 8:39 AM
Am I doing something wrong. When I cut plastic or MDF I get about a 2" flame coming off the laser. I have air assist on. I get a little nervous when this happens thinking I am gonna melt my lens or something.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Tami

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2013, 9:17 AM
The only time I see that is occasionally if it's cutting really close to the edge of the laser bed, or two cuts are very close together. If possible, use more air assist pressure. Another thing you can do is apply transfer tape and mist with water before cutting. If it's a long job, you may have to pause and mist again as it can dry before the job is done. That 2" flame is enough to cause lens damage, at a minimum cause a lot of smoke residue on it.

Jerome Stanek
12-07-2013, 9:22 AM
what type of bed do you have? I only get that when I use a jig that is solid under it.

Mike Lassiter
12-07-2013, 9:23 AM
How thick MDF are you cutting? Also as I understand from post here some MDF doesn't cut well. I have found while researching online that there is an exterior (?) MDF that maybe like exterior plywood that cuts poorly.

Dan Hintz
12-07-2013, 9:49 AM
Is your air properly aimed at/into the cut?

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 9:57 AM
I am cutting on a honeycomb bed

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 9:59 AM
some stuff I got at Lowes. I also see this when I cut laser max thinking I need to look at the sir assist

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I do not think my air assist is working. any trotec owners out there? I turn the laser on and hit the air asist button. The air assist should come on should it not? When I engave it "sounds" like the compressor is working but I cant tell if it is putting any air out. I know there should be a way test it?????

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Dan I am not sure. I have to figure out on the trotec how to turn the air assist on when it is not engraving. Was hoping some trotec users would tell me how this is done. I know it can be done just not sure how. The air compressor is coming on just not sure I Is blowing or where.

Mark Sipes
12-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I know on my system if I am running a job and I open the cover the job stops running but the compressor keeps running. Not sue if this is the case with the newer machines. There is an airflow meter (knob) at the compressor for adjusting flow. Check the air lines that run through the right panel to the X axis drive bar, it may have come uncoupled or split.

Mike Null
12-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I am not aware of any way to set air assist without cutting or engraving but you can open the right panel and place a couple of magnets on the interlocks and tell if the compressor is running. I have a tech memo on how to adjust it and if you'll send me a pm with your email I'll send it to you.

Mike Lassiter
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I am cutting 1/4" thick MDF from HD with 2 laser cartridges combined for 135 watts. 100% power 3.8% speed 300 ppi and use 3" lens and air assist. Not cone as cone too high to properly direct air to cut. Using a lot of air. I see minor sparks blow while cutting. Tried cutting 1/2" but not able in single pass thus far.

Joe Hillmann
12-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I have flames following the laser beam on my lasers when cutting wood but only when I don't have the air assist turned on. When I have the air assist turned on, no matte how little air flow, the flames go away.

TAMI WILSON
12-07-2013, 12:05 PM
mike

Sent you a pm, thanks for your help. I did what Mark sipes suggested and the compressor is running although when I put my hand under the cone I can barely feel it. I am thinking it must be an adjustment issue.

Tami

Mark Sipes
12-07-2013, 2:08 PM
Should be a small flow meter at the exit of the air compressor where the small hose starts. Mine is located at a convinent location at the back right of the machines exterior. I can get to it while the machine is running to make adjustment. I always have the setting to high whin I engrave flexi and 1-2 pieces get blown into the exhaust when vector cutting the job. LOL

Josh Stephens
12-07-2013, 2:47 PM
Hi Tami,

The easiest way to check your air assist pressure is to press and hold the shift button (arrow up key on your machines keypad) and then press the fan button. This will manually turn on the air pump. Now you can have the lid open to check the pressure. If it needs adjustment you can open the right side panel on the machine with the pump running and adjust the white knob on the pump.

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Dan Hintz
12-07-2013, 3:18 PM
If you have any questions send me a PM.

'Bout time you joined us, Josh ;)

Mike Null
12-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Josh

Welcome to SMC. Glad to have you on board.

Ivan Pavletic
12-09-2013, 1:45 AM
I have the same issue when using 2,5 inch lens. When I cut with 1,5 inch lens there is no flame. The people from Trotec said that is has to be like that :confused:
Compressor is on maximum but with 2,5 inch lens and his wider nostril air flow is weak. If I put nostril from 1,5 inch lens, which has smaller hole, it has no flames when cutting but somehow it looses power.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2013, 3:55 PM
If I put nostril from 1,5 inch lens, which has smaller hole, it has no flames when cutting but somehow it looses power.

It loses power because the nozzle is blocking some of your beam... and at high power levels, it can heat up and destroy your focusing lens. I wouldn't do that anymore...