PDA

View Full Version : Some turnings I did in the past

Arlin Eastman
12-07-2013, 4:14 AM
All of this is several months old. I have not been able to turn due to Injury in the middle east and I have to wait until I get another lathe

I do not know how this are attached in order so when they come up I will tell you about them.

Thank you for looking
Arlin

Bill Hensley
12-07-2013, 5:43 AM
All are nice pieces. Seems you are pass due on getting back at it.

Good luck on getting you and your lathe situation squared away.

Allan Ferguson
12-07-2013, 9:18 AM
Neat turnings. May you get back to turning soon.

Brian Kent
12-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Beautiful stuff, Arlin. I am especially interested in the kind of wood in #1 & #2, another angle on the space-ship in #4, and the kind of finish you use when you choose to go glossy.

Arlin Eastman
12-07-2013, 5:01 PM
Brian

1 & 2 are my first salad bowl for my daughter and it is made of Cherry and the finish is wipe on poly 15 coats and in between every 5 coats I buffed it out.
The space ship one is curly maple and my second Art piece. I used food coloring of blue, green and some yellow and then some Gold metal flake paint in the hollowed bowl center. Just trying something new.
The tall one on legs is a hanging Vase and it I Cherry burl legs of sugar Maple, finial is Cocobolo and the base is Cherry and the finish is lacquer.

The half moon one is Red Elm with a Wenge bottom and I made if as a Dried Bud Vase with 5 holes on a Fan shape.

Arlin

robert baccus
12-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Very nice work and finishes. Sorry about the wounds. Hope you can get back to full functioning again.

Pat Scott
12-08-2013, 11:10 AM
The salad bowl is nice, but wipe on poly is not the finish to use - especially 15 coats. While it looks nice, as soon as you get a cut or scrape in it, bacteria and moisture can get under the surface and cause problems. This is why you shouldn't use a film forming finish on a utility piece that will be used for food. Some kind of an oil finish (non-film forming) is preferred.

Lee Reep
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Arlin,
Really nice work. I've not turned for very long, and got started making pens. Then other spindles like tool handles, and up next is pepper mills for gifts. I am looking forward to trying bowls this next year. Guess I need to buy a bowl gouge. :)

Hope you get back to turning soon!

David C. Roseman
12-08-2013, 4:40 PM
The salad bowl is nice, but wipe on poly is not the finish to use - especially 15 coats. While it looks nice, as soon as you get a cut or scrape in it, bacteria and moisture can get under the surface and cause problems. This is why you shouldn't use a film forming finish on a utility piece that will be used for food. Some kind of an oil finish (non-film forming) is preferred.

Agree as a general matter, but with 15 coats of WOP, and the careful use of wooden salad utensils, I'm thinking the finish on that salad bowl will last a long time. :) And it sure is pretty. Nice work, Arlin.

David

Arlin Eastman
12-08-2013, 4:55 PM
What David said

I may have put 15 coats on but if you remember buffing takes afew off so there is about 10 or so.

There never should be any knives in a wooden bowl anyway. I made spoons for her for that.

And on the other thing about wood and Bacteria. This is what the Universitay OF WN and others said about that

"Cutting Boards of Wood
are
Better Than Plastic.

It is probably no news to you that wood is safer than plastic in the kitchen but here
anyway are the facts.
For decades, cooks in homes and restaurants have been urged to use plastic, rather than wood
cutting boards in the name of food safety. The fear is that disease-causing bacteria (e.g.
Salmonella from raw chicken) will soak into a cutting board and later contaminate other foods cut
on the same surface then served uncooked.
It had become an article of faith among "experts" that plastic cutting boards are safer than wood
for food preparation because plastic does not have pores. It seems reasonable, but is not factual,
according to University of Wisconsin's Food Research Institute.
Food microbiologists, Dean Cliver and Nese Ak, at the Institute had an objective to learn about
bacterial contamination of wood cutting boards and to find a way to decontaminate the wood so
that it would be almost as safe as plastic. But that's not what happened -- instead, they found that,
in some as yet unknown way, wooden cutting boards kill bacteria that normally survive on plastic
boards. (My italics)
The scientists purposely contaminated seven species of wood cutting boards and four types of
plastic boards with Salmonella, Listeria, and E. coli (all known to produce food poisoning). The
contaminated boards were incubated overnight at refrigerator and room temperatures and at high
and typical humidity levels. They found that 99.9% of the bacteria on the wood boards had died
after three minutes, yet none of the bacteria had died on the plastic. Overnight, the bacteria on the
plastic flourished, but no bacterial samples could be recovered from the wooden boards treated in
exactly the same way. Bacteria inoculated onto wood with chicken fat to make it hydrophobic
were much more likely to be recovered.
A literature search by the scientists could not find any studies which concluded that wood cutting
boards were unsafe, and have no idea as to how the rumor started, nor have they been successful

in recovering a compound in the wood that inhibits the bacteria.
Taken from a report by Rob Ashton, in New Scientist
It is my opinion that it is only a matter of time before the same “Discovery” is made
about children’s toys. Plastic has an electrostatic surface that attracts dust and
therefore germs. Given that germs are known to breed on plastic it seems daft to

give children plastic toys.
Recently there was a European emergency ban on baby’s teethers and other

suckables because they all contained dangerous [plastics. The “emergency”
followed a pressure group making the government uncomfortably aware of a long
known fact. How long till other [plastic toys are “suddenly discovered” to be
dangerous?"

Just so everyone knows the facts on the research.

Arlin

Pat Scott
12-09-2013, 4:37 PM
Arlin I've read the complete article before, but I think you're misinterpreting the results. The difference is the wood cutting board that was tested had no finish on it, whereas yours does. Another reason that bacteria couldn't survive on the cutting board is because the wood (bacteria) was exposed to air, whereas yours isn't.

What I'm saying is that polyurethane is a film forming finish, and that if you get any kind of cut or scratch or crack in the film due to temperature, wood movement, or whatever, that moisture and air can get under the film and cause problems. That's great that you made wood spoons. But in the course of using a salad bowl it can get banged against the cupboard taking it out or putting it back, accidentally dropped, banged against the side of the sink while washing or have other items bang against it, etc. All of these can cause a ding or crack. It might take repeated drops or bangs, but it can happen. And if it ever does, poly can not be repaired as easily as an oil finish. If you start to see a white cloudy area, this is a sign that moisture is under the film.

If I were going to use WOP for a Salad Bowl, I would thin it 50/50 and only put on 2-3 coats max. The thinned poly would soak into the wood to fill the pores, and provide more protection than oil alone.

Marc Himes
12-10-2013, 7:36 AM
Those are quite a few very nice turnings Arlin. Hope you can get back at it soon. I have used Poly on some smaller bowls that we use for individual salads and the finish gets real beat up, but it is tunring in to a patina of sorts. I would use an oil based food compatible finish in the future for these. We have a large salad bowl with Poly and it seems to be holding up well after 5-6 years but we only serve from it and do not dress the salad in that bowl. Again, nice work.

Gus Dundon
12-11-2013, 2:48 PM
All those turning projects look awesome! Impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Arlin Eastman
12-11-2013, 5:13 PM
Marc

I told that to my daughter also to only serve salad in it no dressing. I am in the making of 8 serving bowls for her as soon as I get another lathe.
Arlin