PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 Email default program

Curt Harms
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi All

I am SO annoyed with my buds in Redmond. I've been using W2K with I.E. 5.5 sp2 happily for months. I bought a program that says it requires I.E. 6.1 so I dutifully installed I.E. 6.1 sp1. I had Mozilla suite's email app selected as the default email application. Since I.E. 6.1, I cannot select a default web browser or email app. After uninstalling I.E.6 I can change them in the "set program access and defaults" but the changes don't survive closing and reopening a window. The settings always return to "use default program" which seems to be Outlook Express. I WILL NOT use outlook express with its known and yet-to-be discovered security issues. Does anyone know of a registry setting to change so I can manually set default programs? I've "uninstalled" Outlook Express without effect.

HELP !!

Thanks for any insights.

Curt

Chuck Wintle
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Is it Thunderbird that you were using? When you launch Thunderbird does it ask if you want to make it the default mail application?

Curt Harms
06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Is it Thunderbird that you were using? When you launch Thunderbird does it ask if you want to make it the default mail application?

Hi Charles

Thanks for replying. I'm using the Email client in the Mozilla suite. The Mozilla app says it is the default email app., but if I click on a "reply" or "email" button, Outlook Express opens. I could download Thunderbird and try it. I'm just annoyed because everything was working like I wanted it, I ungraded to the 'latest & greatest', and now it's not working like I want it, even after uninstalling the 'latest & greatest.'

Yes, I know it's Windows, but still......

Curt

Chuck Wintle
06-08-2005, 2:26 PM
I am not sure but If you click on the start button and go up near the top you can open up a box that lets you select the default programs. I will need to look tonight on my home machine exactly how to do that.

Aaron Koehl
06-08-2005, 2:29 PM
Hi Charles

Thanks for replying. I'm using the Email client in the Mozilla suite. The Mozilla app says it is the default email app., but if I click on a "reply" or "email" button, Outlook Express opens. I could download Thunderbird and try it. I'm just annoyed because everything was working like I wanted it, I ungraded to the 'latest & greatest', and now it's not working like I want it, even after uninstalling the 'latest & greatest.'

Yes, I know it's Windows, but still......

Curt
Open IE (or Internet Settings in Control Panel).

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab.
See if the settings hold there. (may require reboot to take effect, but shouldn't)

Curt Harms
06-08-2005, 3:11 PM
Open IE (or Internet Settings in Control Panel).

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab.
See if the settings hold there. (may require reboot to take effect, but shouldn't)

Hi Aaron

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the programs tab-it has Mozilla Mail as the default email program. It appears that when a link has mailto:xxxx.xxx the email address goes into Outlook Express. The same thing happens if I open tools>New Message in FireFox. If I first read mail, the Mozilla mail app opens from FireFox. I can then copy the email address into Mozilla mail's compose screen and proceed normally. This is certainly not the end of the world, just another annoyance.

Curt

Chuck Wintle
06-08-2005, 3:35 PM
Try reinstalling the entire Mozilla suite.

Curt Harms
06-08-2005, 6:02 PM
I uninstalled the Mozilla Suite and downloaded Thunderbird. Installed Thunderbird and life is back to normal :D . The neat thing about the Mozilla stuff is one can uninstall & reinstall apps without losing data or settings.

Thank You to Aaron & Charles for their expertise. What a neat community. :cool:

Curt