PDA

View Full Version : Modify Incra 5000 Miter to a Single Piece Sled?

Mike Shields
12-06-2013, 7:30 PM
Has anyone modified their Miter 5000 to be a single sled, instead of cutting one side off?

Mine is sitting on the floor of the family room in front of me, while I await my new saw. I (apparently) have too much time to think about the sled installation. My thoughts are not cutting the sled into 2 pieces, but attach wood supports front and back, like a normal crosscut sled. This (should) allow greater sled accuracy/control by using both miter slots.

The only implication I see is that the back support has to be short enough not to interfere with the miter and fence. May also have to replace the light weight aluminum bar (for the right side table) with a standard steel miter bar.

Please answer quickly before I turn this thing into a flux capacitor!

Cary Falk
12-06-2013, 8:43 PM
My opinion..... If you want a sled then build one and return the 5000. Buy messing with it I think you are going to limit it. It is plenty accurate and stable it's own. I threw my sled away and went with a 1000SE and Miter Express. I would never go back.

Mike Shields
12-06-2013, 8:55 PM
My opinion..... If you want a sled then build one and return the 5000. Buy messing with it I think you are going to limit it. It is plenty accurate and stable it's own. I threw my sled away and went with a 1000SE and Miter Express. I would never go back.

Already built one, the super sled, but it had too many limitations for what I do. The 5000 will do exactly what I want. Should have bought the 5000 from the beginning...