PDA

View Full Version : What to ask Santa for...

Jon Wilson
12-06-2013, 6:47 PM
Along the lines of the other Santa thread only I'm asking for suggestions.

Other than an upgraded TS, Clamps and lumber, what would you suggest for my letter to Santa??

I don't make anything really big, small entry bench is as big as I've gotten so far.

I have:

Table Saw
Drill Press
14" Band Saw
Jointer/Planer
Miter Saw
Oscillating Spindle Sander
Belt / Disc Sander
Router
Laminate Router
Assorted Drills
Assorted Hand Sanders, including a belt sander
A few Clamps
Kreg Jig R3 PH setup
A couple Hand Planes
and a few odds & ends (marking tools, squares, rulers, etc...)

I think that's about it... Not looking to get insane (cabinet / hybrid saw type stuff). One fairly big piece of equipment or maybe a few small items.
I thought about a drum sander but those things hurt the wallet at a pretty good rate.

So....
Dear Santa, I would like ?????? for Christmas. I've been good, if you are grading on a sliding scale. ;)

Dave Zellers
12-06-2013, 7:23 PM
Edge sander. Won't be long before you won't know how you got along without it.

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2013, 7:24 PM
Domino maybe?

Frederick Skelly
12-06-2013, 7:30 PM
Lee Valley dovetail saw for $70?

Narex Paring Chisels at Lee Valley - $109 until 12/15?

Iwasaki files or Auriou rasps?

A high quality straight edge for machine setup, etc - $40 to $100 buys a nice one?

Some card scrapers and a holder? Their cheap and work better than sandpaper.

Some gimlets, to start screw holes - set of several for $15 at Lee Valley. Nice stocking stuffer.

More router bits?

Forrest saw blade, starting at around $100?

Do you have a good bench vise?

Do you have a table for your router?

Do you have a good fence on your tablesaw? Biesemeyer or clone will make a difference for you.

Do you have a good miter gauge for your table saw? Again, youll notice the difference.

Enjoy!
Fred

Ralph Okonieski
12-06-2013, 8:11 PM
You mentioned hand planes. I'd suggest a good block plane as the first one.

Nice set of chisels.

worksharp or sharpening stones

a good set of brad point drill bits

a nice condition miller falls hand drill (work better than electric drills for countersink)

Steve Kohn
12-06-2013, 9:40 PM
Dust collector and associated blast gates and pipe.

Lee Reep
12-06-2013, 9:54 PM
Frederick mentioned Forrest saw blades. I was going to upgrade my contractor-style 1.75HP saw with a SawStop 3HP cabinet saw. Went down the Festool rat hole lately (dangerous addiction!) and more coming soon. But I did add a Forrest Woodworker II to my TS. Cuts thru 8/4 oak like I am cutting 3/4" pine. Wow, waht a difference! Highly recommend Forrest. Not cheap, but they are worth every penny, IMHO.

Jon Wilson
12-07-2013, 9:25 PM
At this point I believe I am going to go with, A router table and a thickness planer.

All the while keeping my eyes on CL for an upgrade to my TS in the meantime... I'd swap both of those for a good table saw.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I may be set for the next few, Christmas, Birthday and Anniversary presents.