PDA

View Full Version : Atkins saws

Izzy Camire
12-06-2013, 3:44 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a line on 2 Atkins saws. The look to be in excellent condition.
The first is a number 58 special steel with 5 1/2 points.
The second is a number 500 stainless steel with 10 point.

Anyone know anything about these. Are they an older saw or are they currently being produced? The owner is asking for an offer but I have no idea what to offer. Any ideas?
Thanks
Izzy

David Weaver
12-06-2013, 4:06 PM
Well, you have to be careful with "what's it worth" offers on here.

We don't know what those saws look like, but to me, without a doubt, there are two steering questions regarding the value when you're buying any saws (atkins or disston especially) - three, I suppose, the first being what model - which you've already answered:
1) what's the vintage
2) what's the condition

Condition is an exponential thing with saw. New in wrapper for almost anything costs the moon, esp if it's early 1900s or earlier. Pitted with the same saw can mean 2 dollars.

It's odd that the owner doesn't have a number in mind - that may be because they're afraid they'll say something too low.

Izzy Camire
12-06-2013, 4:21 PM
Thanks David, I agree with everything you are saying especially why he doesn't have a number in mind.

Jim Matthews
12-07-2013, 8:10 AM
Stainless steel tends to age better than most of the rusty saws I use.

That said, I can't get stainless steel teeth to shape or sharpen well.
If you're collecting saws, that's one thing.

As users, I like the "london spring" or impulse hardened japanese saws.

Michael Ray Smith
12-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Go to the 'Bay and search for saws similar to yours that have recently been sold. To do that, look to the right of the "search" button at the top of the page for a link to "Advanced." Click on it. Enter the search terms you want to look for. Select the "Collectibles" category, and in the next section down, check the box for Sold Listings. Then click on Search. I found a No. 58 that recently sold for $15.15 and a 500 that sold for $27.49. Both looked to be in pretty good condition.

I'm a fan of Atkins saws. I may be a bit prejudiced about this, but I favor those that were made before the company was purchased by Borg-Warner in 1952. The No. 58 I found had the Borg-Warner etch. I think the No. 58 goes back further than 1952, so the one I found might not be a good comparison. I may be wrong, but I think all the 500's were made after 1952.

Here's an interesting article about Atkins that I just ran across. http://historicindianapolis.com/indianapolis-collected-saws-a-halloween-history-tale/