PDA

View Full Version : Picture archive

Andrew Field
02-17-2003, 4:34 PM
I don't know how much storage space we have here on the creek, but is there room to create a picture archive where we can have subfolders for things like lumber racks, router tables, jigs, and other shop stuff. That way when people want to build say a lumber rack they can go view other peoples.

If we don't have the storage space, then maybe we could have a forum where each post would be a topic (like lumber racks) and you would just reply with a link to your picture. This wouldn't be a general discussion forum, but a place to post and view pictures.

Andrew Field
02-17-2003, 4:41 PM
Just to clarify.....

The idea of a new forum would be so that the threads don't get lost by lots of new threads. If you want to see pics of router tables, and there isn't already a thread for it, or you just want to show off your router table design, then start a thread for router tables and people can add there pics to the thread.

This might work in the design forum, as long as the threads hang around for a while.

Joe Suelter
02-17-2003, 6:04 PM
Andrew, that's a great idea. Maybe they could sort them by jigs, router tables, outfeed tables, tool storage, shop fixtures, dust collection, etc... This would make it much easier to browse through when looking for ideas when building something. Also, it might cut back on the amount of times a person has to post a particular picture. For instance, if John Doe makes the best router table, he could store that pic in the Picture Archives for everyone here to see. Then, a year or so down the road when Bill Public asks about router tables, John Doe could direct him to Picture #whatever, and not have to post the picture again...thus saving space in Keith's server. Not sure if this makes any sense at all, the cold medicine is just kicking in! Good idea regardless.

Aaron Koehl
02-17-2003, 6:37 PM
I suggest an actual sub-forum under the Design/Projects forum, maybe called Design Picture Gallery.
This forum could then contain threads with the appropriate title that Creekers could use to post their pictures,
e.g. 'Router Tables','Jigs','Outfeeds', etc..

Anyone?

- Aaron

Andrew Field
02-17-2003, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Aaron Koehl
I suggest an actual sub-forum under the Design/Projects forum, maybe called Design Picture Gallery.
This forum could then contain threads with the appropriate title that Creekers could use to post their pictures,
e.g. 'Router Tables','Jigs','Outfeeds', etc..

Anyone?

- Aaron

Sounds good to me. That's basicly option 3 in the poll. I actually like the idea better then a folder with pics because you can have either links to a pic or uploaded pics. You can also include comments/minor instructions and such with your pic post.

John Miliunas
02-17-2003, 7:56 PM
Hey Aaron/Andrew. It's option 3 for me! Maybe we could have an easier way to attach multiple pics per post, as well, by then. Yes/no? Either way, it sounds like a winner to me! Thanks for the suggestion(s) and the commitment to making this the PREMIER WW site on the Net!

Keith Outten
02-17-2003, 10:15 PM
We will have new areas for Shop Tours, Bios and Articles. Aaron and I have a meeting scheduled for Thursday morning to discuss this and he will show me examples of his proposals. We have already decided that these areas must be capable of allowing the poster to update the text and pictures. Workshops do change and people purchase new equipment. Allowing you to update your Shop Tours for instance will require us to use the Forum areas with some customization. But...all of the shop tours and such will also be searchable. All of the information here is valuable and needs to be accessible at all times.

If you just want to see router table pictures you would use the "Search" feature and search on Router Tables or Router Table Pics. If people are descriptive when they create the titles of their posts and in the message body their information will be easy to find. Messages will always be available from the "Search" feature no matter how old the post is.

The database behind this board is very powerful.

Lincoln Myers
02-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Great idea Andrew! I think that'd be a nice addition to an already great board. And as usual, it seems that our Administrators are one step ahead of us on this. This place keeps getting better and better and it seems like The Creek just went live the other day... oh wait, it did.

Thanks again Keith et al.

Thought I'd try a pic post here... Didn't want to take up a whole new thread to try my first pic post.

Here (hopefully) is a pic of a chair that I made for my son Samuel for Christmas. His Mom painted his name and added the stencils for him...

Lincoln Myers
02-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Yay it worked! First try... (After reading a bunch of hints from others.) Thanks Ken! :p

Jim Young
02-18-2003, 8:43 AM
I'm not sure what the diferences are (not much of a web guy). Seems to me that a folder, if like on my computer, would only have the pics, no written description. On the other hand, a forum to me would be more difficult to search through since the items aren't sorted. Seems like the best would be both, folders with specific subjects with the users able to posts threads of their projects.

Rik Rickerson
02-18-2003, 12:47 PM
I like the third options as it allows for additional information and background about the picture.

Rik