PDA

View Full Version : Cutting "Di-Bond" and .04in Aluminum Laminated to 12mm PVC

Ross Moshinsky
12-06-2013, 3:15 PM
I have a couple of "rush" projects and I've done my research but I just want to confirm the settings I'm going to use. Also just wanted to see if there was anything else I should know before I go ahead and run this job.

Machine: CNC RouterParts 4x8 with Porter Cable 3.25hp Router

1. Sign blank out of 12mm Black PVC with a piece of .04" aluminum laminated to it.

Bit - .25" O Flute Bit
Speed - 75-90ipm
RPM - 13,000 rpm
Hold Down Method - Screws to hold the overall piece. Carpet Tape (provided material is a bit bowed). Tabs (I leave the tabs and then cut them off on a final pass on the router)

2. 3mm ALUPANEL Gloss (Mirror face, PVC Core, and White AL back)

Bit - .25" O Flute Bit
Speed - 75-90ipm
RPM - 10,000 rpm
Hold Down Method - Screws to hold the overall piece. Carpet Tape.

Jerome Stanek
12-06-2013, 4:30 PM
Dibond is easy to machine. those speeds and feeds sound ok to start with.

Ross Moshinsky
12-07-2013, 3:08 PM
Dibond is easy to machine. those speeds and feeds sound ok to start with.

Thanks. Pretty much went ahead with things and it all worked out fairly well. "ALUPANEL" settings could use a bit of tweaking. I think I was traveling a bit too slowly. Overall went well.

Getting the carpet tape off the back was the worst part. Normally I just use screws to hold everything down, but I wanted a little extra security so I went with carpet tape. Man did that add work to the project. I have some letters to cut out of PVC on Monday and I'm going back to tabs.

Gene Uselman
12-22-2013, 1:00 PM
Hi Ross- the answer to the carpet tape problem is to apply premask to the part (and the bed) and then the carpet tape. Also works with spray contact cement.
It comes in most sizes from a sign supply store. Example here: http://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-application-tape-for-103012/