PDA

View Full Version : Richard Raffan Video

Mike Ramsey
06-08-2005, 9:30 AM
I watched a Richard Raffan video last night called "Turning Wood" and MAN!!
is that guy ever aggressive!! I went to the shop right after watching it and that was a mistake because i was all fired up and my HF lathe didn't quite operate like his :mad: :rolleyes: :) :D . To get back to reality I had to step back and take a few deep breaths :) .

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 9:35 AM
Richard is an incredible turner, although his techniques are not always easy for some of us. His current work, which he has posted on WoW, is very interesting...natrually distorted "tubes" made from green madrone. When you watch these videos, take what you can out of it, and don't limit yourself to one turner. Everyone is a little different and you can gain so much more by observing the variety and finding your own best path.

Ed Lang
06-08-2005, 9:52 AM
That guy can make a skew do just about anything... and FAST too.

Be sure to look at Bill Grumbines video if you have not. With Bill's video, you can watch it and then go to the shop and practice exactly what you saw.

Scott Loven
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Taunton also has a new turning book as part of their "Completely Illistrated guide" series that is written by Richard Raffan. LOTS of pictures, might be nice to have with you at the lathe while you are working.
Scott
Jim, what is WoW?

Mike Ramsey
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Scott,
I do have the 3 book set from Amazon, Turning Wood, Turning Boxes & Turning Bowls and
it was a good price I think. Besides keeping them by the lathe they make great bathroom
reading material...