PDA

View Full Version : Sassoo wood

Jim Colombo
12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Has anyone tried turning Sassoo wood? I got a few chunks from some tree trimmers yesterday and was wondering what it's like to turn.

Thanks,
Jim

Roger Chandler
12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Has anyone tried turning Sassoo wood? I got a few chunks from some tree trimmers yesterday and was wondering what it's like to turn.

Thanks,
Jim

I have turned 2 pieces I got from Kathy Marshall in Arizona. One was a hollow form....

It turned well, and had pretty grain structure...........finished well also.........it is in the rosewood family of woods. It is Dalberga Sissoo from what I have read, and you will find it a nice wood to turn..........seemed to be fairly stable as well.........sort of like Mesquite.

Jim Colombo
12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks Roger. I'm in Arizona also and it seems this is a pretty common tree in this area along with Mesquite. How about that Kathy!! Not only is she talented but she's very giving as well. I hope to meet her one of these days.

Dale Gillaspy
12-06-2013, 1:03 PM
Jim, she's a regular at our woodturner's association meetings. We meet on the 3rd Saturday of the month from 12-about 3pm at the Pyle Center in Tempe, at about Southern and Rural.

charlie knighton
12-06-2013, 1:05 PM
she has a photo of one of her pieces in newest American Woodturner