PDA

View Full Version : Installing sandpaper on a jet 16-32

Jim Colombo
12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I just bought a Jet 16-32 and went through the assembly and adjusting steps with only one hiccup (good for me and a job well done by Jet), but I'm having a devil of a time re-installing the sanding belt. I can't seem to get the darn thing flat after the very first revolution of the drum.

I've tried keeping the left edge of the sandpaper the same distance from the edge of the roller for the first rotation and then sliding on the taper as it comes around but that leaves a big bubble that I can't get out. Then I tried tapering the sandpaper as it comes off the clip but I get that bubble again after the first revolution.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

Tom Ewell
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
on my Performax 22-44 the tapered cut aligns with the left edge of the drum, this sets angle for the straight side of the roll to lay flat on the drum.
both spring clips need to grab for proper tension also make sure the direction of the wrap is correct and the roll is cut to length for the size drum. (cut length probably came with the machine already so if you get into buying uncut rolls save the original for pattern)

Bradley Gray
12-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Klingspore sells bulk rolls that are color coded for different size sanders with the angle marked. You cut at the green line for a 22/44 and the black line for a 25" and so forth. Cut at the line and cut a 1/2 inch off the tip then start at the left like Tom said then reset both end clips to create spring tension. When you hear flapping stop immediately and reset the clips.

Stephen Cherry
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
that leaves a big bubble that I can't get out. Then I tried tapering the sandpaper as it comes off the clip but I get that bubble again after the first revolution.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

I sold my drum sander a while back, but it seems like the idea is to clip it in, wrap it a time or two around the drum. Unless you clipped it exactly right, you would expect a bubble, SO you open the clip and let the paper realign to get rid of the bubble. Then you wrap to the other side and clip into the tension clip.

Stephen Cherry
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
this guy is having no problem doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny-vH6VhvLQ

Rich Riddle
12-06-2013, 1:02 PM
Since left and right are relative terms to the way one faces the tool, I will use another explanation. I clip the side that is open first and then rotate the drum until the paper reaches the side near the controls. After attaching both sides, one needs to frequently readjust. The problem I see is gaps in the paper or overlap, not what you describe. Good luck.

Tom Giacomo
12-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Do not try to keep the paper even around the drum on the first turn, it will lead away from the drums edge. You are starting from the wrong end of the paper. There will be an open area on the begining of the drum this is normal.

Ken Krawford
12-07-2013, 8:29 AM
It takes me 22 minutes to put new paper on my Performax. One minute to load the drum and twenty-one minutes to properly engage the clip on the right side.

Alan Lightstone
12-07-2013, 8:38 AM
It takes me 22 minutes to put new paper on my Performax. One minute to load the drum and twenty-one minutes to properly engage the clip on the right side.

I finally figured this out. First of all, I never use their tool. Just doesn't help things. Secondly, also I cut 1/2" off the ends of the paper. If the ends are too thin, it just doesn't catch correctly. Over time, I find I may also have to cut small pieces off the ends to get it to catch correctly.

I just start at the open end, engage the clip, and spin the drum slowly until the control end. That's always the tricky end to engage.

Other tricks are to get a gum sandpaper cleaner to keep your sandpaper lasting MUCH longer than without using one. I also installed a Wixey DRO on mine (though I wish it had just come with one in the first place).

Use my 16/32 a ton. So glad I purchased one. But yes, the sandpaper clips are annoying.

Tom Ewell
12-07-2013, 9:00 AM
lol, yeah that one is a little buggar to get right.

Bill Huber
12-07-2013, 9:28 AM
I like Alan, shorten my paper by about 1/2" before I install them, I do use pre-cut that I get from Klingspor. I don't use the tool, to me it does not help me at all.

The best thing I have done to help me get the paper on my sander was to clean the drum and then wax it with Johnson's wax. I know that sounds nuts but it really helps to get the paper to tighten up all the way across the drum.

So I start from the open end and insert the paper about half way to the point it will not go any more. Then keeping the paper lined up with the edge of the drum I roll it on to the inside and then put the tab in the clip. Then I go back to the open end and tighten it up as tight as I can and make sure it is aligned with the edge of the drum and let it tighten up all the way across.

Jim Colombo
12-07-2013, 9:59 AM
on my Performax 22-44 the tapered cut aligns with the left edge of the drum, this sets angle for the straight side of the roll to lay flat on the drum.
both spring clips need to grab for proper tension also make sure the direction of the wrap is correct and the roll is cut to length for the size drum. (cut length probably came with the machine already so if you get into buying uncut rolls save the original for pattern)

I got it on the first try after reading your suggestion. The key words were "the tapered cut". I was putting the straight cut along the edge (DUMB, DUMB). As for the other end I agree with most of you about the tool. I ended up clipping it by hand.

Thanks to all for the help
Jim

Rob Holcomb
12-08-2013, 10:15 AM

I thought it was just me. I have the Supermax 19-38 but same design as the Performax (Supermax used to be Performax). That right side clip in a pain in the you know where! I put the paper in but its not in the right place for the clamp to work. I do this at least 137 times and then by chance it goes in where its supposed to and clamps. By then my finger is so sore that I have to take a 15 minute break until my finger can function right again and I get done cursing.