PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Find

Jim Koepke
12-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Had to go into town today and it was just a coincidence we were on the right street to see an estate sale sign.

We stopped and found a quite a few things for the wife and a couple for me. There were a few planes there from $10 - $30. Nothing that I wanted to spend the time fettling.

Did find a hewing axe/hatchet and a chisel.

There is a mark on the hatchet. It looks to be True Temper Kelly Works. Haven't really bothered to look it up yet. It looks like it may have been cleaned up. The edge looks like it may have never been sharpened. it has some flat areas, not sure if it is original. I do not really care.

The 1/2" chisel is marked Stanley No. 750.

There is something I didn't notice about the hatchet until it got home with me.

Anyone else notice?

jtk

Jim Neeley
12-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Jim,

Yes, the carving hatchet is "grinded right side", meaning the right side is flat or slightly concave and the bevel is on the left when held by the handle. It is the style normally used by left-handers.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/log-building-and-carpentry-tools/gransfors-large-carving-axe/

Should this not work for you, PM me with a price as I'd be interested in it.

Nice find!! ..oh, and a major "you suck"! <g>

Jim in Alaska
(also, a Lefty)

Jim Koepke
12-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Good eye Jim!

I am somewhat ambidextrous so I am going to give it a try.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
12-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Jim,

Yes, the carving hatchet is "grinded right side", meaning the right side is flat or slightly concave and the bevel is on the left when held by the handle. It is the style normally used by left-handers.

(also, a Lefty)

Jim(s):

The first thing I noticed it was a lefty !!

Nice find - -

Dave B - ( another lefty )

Bill McDermott
12-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Rather than being permanently left or right handed, the symmetry of the lip/lug on the top and bottom makes me curious if it is ambidextrous.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Rather than being permanently left or right handed, the symmetry of the lip/lug on the top and bottom makes me curious if it is ambidextrous.

Wow! That's the ticket. I will put a double handle on it and then it can also be used like a shave knife. If I don't bop myself in the head.

But that is a good point Bill. Maybe the handle can be inserted from either side. The handle is held with metal wedges so it will be awhile before I try that.

jtk

Chris Vandiver
12-06-2013, 2:19 AM
Flip the head over on the handle and it's a right handed hatchet. It's nice to have both a right and left handed broad axe/hatchet for changing grain direction.

David Weaver
12-06-2013, 7:48 AM
Kelly true temper probably made more axes than any other maker in history. All of their older stuff that I've used is good quality.

They don't have the hardness of gransfors, but they're hard enough and their axes have a design element that gransfors ought to add.

Jim Koepke
12-06-2013, 4:32 PM

Flip the head over on the handle and it's a right handed hatchet. It's nice to have both a right and left handed broad axe/hatchet for changing grain direction.

Okay Bill and Chris,

Took it out to the shop to sharpen it did seem a little awkward using lefty.

So I decided to drive the handle out and flip it.

Looks like the handle may have been installed incorrectly as the eye is now bigger at the top than it was set up for lefty use.

I may need to figure out where I stashed those extra wedges.

So far it works real good for splitting off kindling and it isn't even really sharp yet.

jtk

Ryan Baker
12-07-2013, 8:18 PM
That was the first thing I noticed in the picture -- the lefty setup. It most likely was righty originally, as most would have been. The previous owner probably was lefty and flipped it, even though not all of those heads are designed to flip. Nice find though. Same for the chisel.

harry strasil
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Most of the time the handle eyes in older hammers, hatchets, axes etc are indeed tapered, the small end of the eye is where the handle is inserted leaving the larger end for a wood wedge and then one or more metal wedges to swell the end of the handle to help anchor the handle in place.