PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, the Midwest...

Justin Ludwig
12-05-2013, 7:30 PM
It was 70 degrees yesterday and B-E-A-utiful. Today, on the way home from work, I already had one tree down in the field from ice. I'm working tomorrow, but it looks like my weekend will be spent behind a chainsaw clearing the local roads, driveways, and such.

The local Wal-Mart was picked clean of water, milk, and bread (so I was told). You'd think the zombie apocalypse was among us. Southern folk don't know how to handle cold weather.

Sal Kurban
12-05-2013, 8:43 PM
You see, that is why I grow my own food including my grains. I am sitting by my wood stove which heats the entire house. Am not worried about zombies because I invented the most effective zombie slayer sling :)

Justin Ludwig
12-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I kill and catch a lot of my food. You can't grow food in ice! But you can still shoot/catch it.

Power went out at the shop at 10am so we decided to start clearing the backs roads. Living in the country, every road is a back road.

Justin Ludwig
12-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Who thinks it's a bad idea to throw a 2x6 at an icy power line to help knock a little ice off? Not this guy.

Who thinks they can stick said 2x6 to the power line? Not this guy.

Who managed to do so? This guy.

I've received quite a bit of heckling today from friends and family because of this little exploit. But, alas, we still have power and 90% of those around us don't (probably from pure luck, not my ice breaking ability).

The question I kept getting asked: "How did you get it to stick?"

The short answer is roofing nails. That board had 4 nails in it, all protruding about 1/4". The rest is mastery of the throw. Be amazed, be very amazed.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Who thinks it's a bad idea to throw a 2x6 at an icy power line to help knock a little ice off? Not this guy.

Who thinks they can stick said 2x6 to the power line? Not this guy.

Who managed to do so? This guy.

I've received quite a bit of heckling today from friends and family because of this little exploit. But, alas, we still have power and 90% of those around us don't (probably from pure luck, not my ice breaking ability).

The question I kept getting asked: "How did you get it to stick?"

The short answer is roofing nails. That board had 4 nails in it, all protruding about 1/4". The rest is mastery of the throw. Be amazed, be very amazed.

That's way classier than a pair of shoes over a power line! I bet the power company was impressed too!