PDA

View Full Version : Jet JBS-18 Bandsaw

Dave Quignon
12-05-2013, 7:21 PM
Hi, first posting here for me, I just purchased a Jet JBS-18 Band Saw for almost nothing and I am having some trouble finding parts for it. It is in amazing shape except for one small issue. The guy I bought it from dropped it while moving it into his shop. It tip forward and landed on the table breaking both of the trunnions and the trunnion clamp shoes. Jet has been a some help as they found an old manual (not much on it, but it is something) but have no other parts. In looking at other machines they make, the trunnions look exactly the same, but I cannot seem to get any part supplier to measure what they have in stock to seem if I can find a match. So...does anyone out there have this machine, know where to get parts or can someone measure their trunnions to see if I can find a match from a newer machine. Whoever owned this machine had done some upgrades like roller bearing guides, a 3 horse motor, double belt drive. The only thing wrong is the trunnions and I am missing the fence, it does have the rails for the fence however and if I can find a fence I will be in business. Anyway any help out there would be much appreciated.

Dave Quignon

Curt Harms
12-06-2013, 8:44 AM
I can't help with the trunnions. If no one else has a good fix, is there any way to fasten the table to the frame in a fixed position? Or remove the other part of the trunnion assembly & make a temporary MDF table? At least you could use your machine while you come up with a repair/replacement plan.

Dave Quignon
12-06-2013, 5:59 PM
That is an option I am considering, I would like to repair it so I can do angles as it is designed to tilt 45 degrees both ways, but if there is no parts I will build my own table.

david brum
12-06-2013, 7:38 PM
Take a close look at the old Grizzly G1012. In the early days of Taiwanese imports, there were sometimes few actual differences between different company's models besides paint. Grizzly is really good about parts and many people have found that they fit other brands as well. Take a look at the parts list HERE (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1012/parts).

Dave Quignon
12-06-2013, 8:21 PM
David, It looks the same, do you have this machine, I will need some dimensions to be sure. I will contact Grizzly on Mon to check. My Table is 18 1/8" x 18 1/8". Their fence looks exactly like mine. If the table width is the same, I might be able to get a fence too. Thanks for tip!

Michael Wildt
12-06-2013, 9:40 PM
Looks like the trunnions are cast iron. If you can find a good machinist that know brazing then it might be repairable. Check out 'Keith Fenner brazing' on youtube as an example.

david brum
12-07-2013, 9:26 AM
David, It looks the same, do you have this machine, I will need some dimensions to be sure. I will contact Grizzly on Mon to check. My Table is 18 1/8" x 18 1/8". Their fence looks exactly like mine. If the table width is the same, I might be able to get a fence too. Thanks for tip!

Dave, I don't have that machine. I would guess that Grizzly are the only guys that you could still get that part from. If they can't tell you the size ( they may not have those dimensions for something that old) you might just have to order the parts and see if they fit. You can always return them if they don't fit. I think that Grizzly charges a 20% restocking fee for returned parts but you're still not talking about a lot of money even if it doesn't work. I'll bet it works fine.

Dave Quignon
12-07-2013, 8:39 PM
I am going to contact them Monday and see what they say. I did get a tip about a guy who can make them, for a few hundred dollars! That will be my last resort, but it is an option. Here's hoping that Grizzly can help!

Earl McLain
12-07-2013, 9:23 PM
Take a close look at the old Grizzly G1012. In the early days of Taiwanese imports, there were sometimes few actual differences between different company's models besides paint. Grizzly is really good about parts and many people have found that they fit other brands as well. Take a look at the parts list HERE (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1012/parts).

Following this thread out of curiosity, and to learn more--I took a look at the Grizzly trunions that David mentioned. I'm wondering if it might be possible to adapt the G1012 trunion support to the saw? The support and trunions could be ordered all at once, support returned if not needed?? Feasible?

earl

Dave Quignon
12-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah that is also a possibility. I checked online for the Grizzly trunnions, for $40.00 I can see if they fit, but I am going to talk to them first.