PDA

View Full Version : Perfect tupperware-style container for waterstones

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-05-2013, 7:08 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who has this problem, but I've been looking for a cheap solution to store my waterstones in, both for soaking, and for storage, whether or not they're soaking at the time, so they don't get everything else wet.

I had been storing them in some cheap "Gladware" containers, like tupperware but flimsier - and had been keeping an eye out every time I walked by some food containers at the store. Everything I saw was either too small in one direction, or much larger than needed. The Gladware containers I had been using where much larger than the stones. Not the end of the world, but combined with their flimsy nature, it was a little awkward pulling them out of the inconvenient shelf I had them stored on, and I'm always trying to save every square inch of space in the "work room".

I'd tried looking online, but the problem is that most of these containers are listed by the volume they store, not the dimensions.

Anyway, I came across these Rubbermaid brand food containers at the hardware store today, I hadn't come across them before. I picked up the last one, and they're the perfect size! The picture with the stone is the Naniwa Snow White I purchased from David in the classifieds. (Thanks Dave - I'm really enjoying that stone.) My Sigma fits quite well, also. If you've got a stone without a convenient case like the Shaptons, this might just be the ticket.

It's Rubbermaid product #7M71 (http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=FoodStorage&SubcatId=BulkStorage&Prod_ID=RP091887&Redirect=1) - not available for order off the website, but might be worth picking up next time you buy something from Amazon or taking a look at the grocery store or something. It's a fairly sturdy container.

I know this is kind of silly, but it made my day.

Chris Griggs
12-05-2013, 7:29 PM
I think I spent equally as much time finding acceptable ones. That ones better than the ones I found. Mine are little more oversized. That's a nice looking Naniwa Snow White you got there :-)...remember not to leave it in water permanently.

Anyway, I think this is a very useful post with very useful info....seriously, I do.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-05-2013, 7:49 PM
It's also actually tall enough to store two stones in (at least my two base-less stones) with thinnish spacers between and below.

Yeah, the Snow White doesn't seem to absorb too much water, so I don't even store it in plastic right now - just let it dry for a few hours on a paper towel and then put it back in the cardboard container with the lid off. The sigma on the other hand just drinks up the water (it's hard to keep it wet while working!) and keeps releasing it for a day or two afterwards. (I don't keep it wet just because sometimes I might not get to use it for a long while)

maximillian arango
12-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I have no experience with this but have you guys thought about a hermit crab container so you can put a lid on your wet stones yet still let them have flowing air. Not sure if you guys need air but I am assuming so since you are leaving the lid off the container.

~max

Don Kingston
12-06-2013, 7:24 AM
I keep an eye out for those things to.

I see yours is protected by a t-rex. Those stones are expensive.

Jacob Reverb
12-06-2013, 8:29 AM
...for storage, whether or not they're soaking at the time...

Just don't let them freeze while they're wet. I'm told that will break them up.

Tom Vanzant
12-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the tip Joshua. Looks like an ideal way to store my Sigmas.

Joe Tilson
12-06-2013, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the info Joshua, I am using freezer bags for now and will be on the look out for these containers. Just for a little tidbit on my part, Lock-n-Lock bread containers make a really good citric acid bath. the lid keeps it from evaporating.
Joe