PDA

View Full Version : Router help?

Lewis Ehrhardt
12-05-2013, 2:29 PM
I need some help on what wireless router or what I need to do to get a longer ranger signal. There are two of us using wi-fi at a time. My wife wants to take her computer to her shop which is about 100 feet from where the router presently is. I could move it, but really don't want to. I have a Linksys AC900. I switched from a D-Link DIR-615. This one seems much faster, but signal strength is about the same. Any help greatly appreciated. Also, don't know that much about this stuff. Thanks Lewis

Charles Wiggins
12-05-2013, 2:50 PM
I need some help on what wireless router or what I need to do to get a longer ranger signal. There are two of us using wi-fi at a time. My wife wants to take her computer to her shop which is about 100 feet from where the router presently is. I could move it, but really don't want to. I have a Linksys AC900. I switched from a D-Link DIR-615. This one seems much faster, but signal strength is about the same. Any help greatly appreciated. Also, don't know that much about this stuff. Thanks Lewis

Bought one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Securifi-Almond-Touchscreen-Wireless-Extender/dp/B0087NZ31S/) a few months back and set it up as a range extender. Easy setup. Nothing to load on your computer. I use a whitelist on my main router, so i did have to whitelist it when I was setting it up. Our house is 85 feet long and the router is on one end in the basement. With the Almond, we get a strong signal upstairs at the other end of the building.

Lewis Ehrhardt
12-05-2013, 3:14 PM
Thanks Charles, what's a "whitelist"?

dennis thompson
12-06-2013, 6:41 AM
Based on Charles' recommendation in an earlier thread I bought the Almond range extender and it had worked very well for me.
Thanks Charles

Greg Portland
12-09-2013, 5:06 PM
A "range extender" will cut your bandwidth in half (1/2 is for router <--> extender and the other 1/2 is for extender <--> devices). This may or may not be an issue depending on your usage case.

A better option is to get a wireless endpoint and give it the same SSID as your primary router. They will then share the load and your device will hop between them depending on your location inside the house. The item Charles mentioned *may* be doing this depending on how it's configured.