PDA

View Full Version : Typing is odd...

Mike Cruz
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Recently, mostly in PMs, I'm having some difficulties. First of all, after just about every letter, each word is being underlined (as if misspelled). Also, characters aren't being "accepted". By that, I mean that "Hi, I just wanted to say hi." will come out more like "I, I ust wantdto say hi ...with spaces and characters missing because they weren't recognized as I typed them.

FYI, it doesn't happen anywhere else but on SMC. And it didn't happen in this post until I started this paragraph. Oh, let me retype the last sentence and you can see exactly what happens! And it didn't appen I theis post until I tstartethis paragrap.

What's up?

Bruce Page
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
It wouldn’t have anything to do with your signature line, would it? :D:)

Seriously, I'm not having any problems like that on this end.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-05-2013, 12:54 AM
When using the iPad, I have an issue where I type one letter and the keyboard drops away unless I go to the advanced posting tool, where it works just fine.

Dan Hintz
12-05-2013, 5:49 AM
Dying batteries in the wireless keyboard...

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 7:29 AM
Seriously, Dan? I said it only happens on SMC, and mostly in PMs. Nowhere else. Not on other forums, not in Emails, and not in Word. Read before you respond, dude.

Steve Wurster
12-05-2013, 7:51 AM
What OS and browser are you using? Might be an interaction problem with the browser and vBulletin; just a guess here.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 9:39 AM
I've got the latest version of Windows and IE. That said, it doesn't happen all the time. For example, it isn't happening now. Sometimes, it starts after I hit a hard return.

Often, as I am typing (yup, just started after the last hard return), even after two letters that follow properly (like p and l in "pl" for the start of the word "plural" for example) the letters are underlined in red...as if misspelled. I have a feeling this is a spell check issue...or related.

This next paragraph will be a retype of the firs one:

I've goth the latest versin of Window and I.That said, I oent happen all the time.Frexampl, it isn't happening now. Sometimes, starts fter I hit a ar return.

As you can see, to make this even close to readable, it takes a LOT of backspacing, and retyping letters and spaces...very frustrating.

Steve Wurster
12-05-2013, 9:42 AM
Start by trying a different browser, like Firefox or Chrome, and see what happens. I think this site has had problems with latest versions of IE and typing-related behaviors.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Steve, I might try using another browser, but I like/am comfortable with/used to IE. If IE isn't really supported here, it might just keep me away... I'm a fairly patient man, and I'm sticking with it for now. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue (I've seen some other comments about the same thing). Others may not be so patient... Typing right now is going quite smoothly. It seems as soon as I hit the ENTER/RETURN button, that is when things get screwy.

Steve Wurster
12-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Well I would first try another browser and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then you know it's something else and not SMC or IE.

But I would bet this is an issue with IE, which is known to have wacky behaviors compared to other browsers. There may or may not be an update to vBulletin out there that works around this problem, if it is indeed an issue with IE.

Curt Harms
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
You don't have any 'helpers' for I.E. installed, do you? I had a somewhat similar occurence with a Firefox add-on for adding macro-like functions of unused keyboard keys. The glitch seemed to occur only in SMC and only when using 'non-standard' keyboard keys but yeah.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Nope, I don't add odd add ons. Actually, I don't add any add ons (not intentionally, at least). My thought is that IE is a pretty common (if not the most common) browser out there. Yeah, there are many that like others, but I know more people that use it than don't. If vBulletin or SMC doesn't work correctly with it, I see that as a "shooting oneself in the foot" thing... The odd thing is that it only starts happening after I hit the ENTER key (as in starting a new paragraph) and only on SMC. I tried signing in on Firefox and my password was not being accepted for some reason.

Steve Wurster
12-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Does the latest IE have a compatibility mode option like previous versions did? It used to be at the end of the address bar. Try turning that on and see what happens.

Kevin Nathanson
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
In the meantime, a workaround that might help with your posting would be to type in a text editor (wordpad, etc.) and then paste your responses in. As a software guy, my opinion is that this will not be an easy bug to fix. It's a nasty interaction scenario with a lot of moving parts. The only good thing is that it appears that it is repeatable and can be invoked by typing a return character.

K

Dan Hintz
12-05-2013, 3:25 PM
Dying batteries in the wireless keyboard...

Sorry for trying to help, Mike... won't make that mistake again.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 3:36 PM
Have any of you experienced this? ENTER (hehe) that is my little way of saying "new paragraph" Steve, I know that I have had issues with the compatibility mode thing before, and turnin it on or off solved my issue of ENTER working or not. Right now, I'm not showing that "symbol".

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 3:40 PM
Dan, I'm just saying to read posts before responding. I said it was an issue with this site, and not anywhere else. This isn't the first time you've responded with an answer that showed that you clearly didn't actually read what I wrote. Sorry for jumping down your throat. Just a pet peeve.

By the way, I just added SMC to "compatibility mode" settings, and for now, it seems to have solved the issue. We'll see...

Doug Wolf
12-05-2013, 6:05 PM
T
a
n
k
s

M
I
k
e
I

t
h
o
u
g
ht

T
h
a
t

a
s

t
h
e

o
n
l

o
n
e
h
v
I
n
g

p
r
o
b
l
e
s

w
I
t
h

S
M
C

Doug Wolf
12-05-2013, 6:12 PM
Mike, Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one having problems with SMC. I have the latest Win 8.1 Pro and IE 11 and had to spend more time correcting the typing than posting. As you can see from me previous post, everything was printing vertical instead of across the page. I just set SMC to compatibility view and no errors on this post.

Mike Cruz
12-05-2013, 7:10 PM
I knew I wasn't the only one having issues. And like you said, it keeps you from posting, or worse, even being here. So, glad I could help...but more importantly, I'm glad I can type without constant corrections! So, thanks for whoever that was that suggested the compatibility mode thing...

Arlin Eastman
12-07-2013, 4:30 PM
I am having the same problem. Like it is not keeping up with me typing so I have to retype some letters again and again.
Arlin

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 6:42 AM
Changing to compatibility view in IE 11 solved this problem for me.

Sean Hughto
12-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm having the same issue!

Lee Reep
12-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Steve, I might try using another browser, but I like/am comfortable with/used to IE. If IE isn't really supported here, it might just keep me away... I'm a fairly patient man, and I'm sticking with it for now. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue (I've seen some other comments about the same thing). Others may not be so patient... Typing right now is going quite smoothly. It seems as soon as I hit the ENTER/RETURN button, that is when things get screwy.
Ahh, come on. really? Sticking with IE? :p Seriously, I ditched IE years ago. I'm a huge Firefox fan. Mozilla makes great products. Our desktop PC years ago gagged on Microsoft Outlook Express for email, so I switched to Mozilla's Thunderbird. Worked flawlessly. Never looked back.

Mike Cruz
12-10-2013, 7:36 AM
Yup, really. And I drive a Chevy pickup. But you probably used to drive a Chevy and now swear by Ford. Wait until you have issues with your Ford, then you'll get a Dodge, then a Toyota, then a Nissan.

I like IE. I've tried Firefox and didn't really like it. Different strokes...

Mike Cruz
12-10-2013, 7:37 AM
Compatibility mode, Sean.

Ryan Baker
12-10-2013, 9:37 PM
I have the typing problem as well with IE11, and it is driving me crazy. At least carriage return works (didn't with IE10).

Yes, I realize compatibility mode may fix this, but that isn't really a suitable answer. The site needs to be fixed.

Actually, it seems to only work right when typing ridiculously slowly, as if it can't keep up. It acts as if this new spell check thing is what is killing it. Is there a way to turn this spell checker off? I don't really want it in the first place.

Mike Cruz
12-10-2013, 9:45 PM
Ryan, that is exactly my point. Yes, you can do the compatibility mode thing, but in my eyes, it is a site issue, not an IE issue. SMC is under no obligation to do anything about it, but if they don't, they will drive some people away. You are obviously a Contributor, and you not being here anymore means revenue lost. But that is up to Keith whether he wants to do anything about it...

Matt Meiser
12-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes, I realize compatibility mode may fix this, but that isn't really a suitable answer. The site needs to be fixed.

I got an email at work that some Sharepoint functionality requires compatibility mode in IE11 to work properly. And Sharepoint is a Microsoft product!

And THIS site won't get fixed util the software vendor that sells the software it runs on fixes it. I wouldn't hold my breath...the iPad keyboard issue has been going on a lot longer.

glenn bradley
12-21-2013, 10:02 AM
This is a test of typing and adding a link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211487-Problems). Things seem to work with SMC added to IE's compatibility mode list. This problem began following a MS update which I assume tweaked something that Vbulletin is not playing well with. Hold on and I'll try it with other browsers . . .

OK, I an typing this from a Chromium derivative and have no problems.

This is Firefox

This is Chrome.

Ts s IE 11 without compatibity mod. Hee is a lin. ..

Had to re-add SMC to the compatibility list to type this. I could not select text or successfully add a link to that text . . . or type consistently without SMC in the compatibility list. I do not see this as an SMC problem. No software maker can keep up with every tweak and patch that every browser author decides is "better" for our use (or theirs). There is a fix so, it is not a problem. If it required a workaround, it would be a problem IMHO.

Mike Cruz
12-21-2013, 10:56 AM
So, it sounds like it is a problem with IE and Vbulletin. If so, my apologies to SMC.

This had caused another issue but not as serious... When viewing pics, I can see the preview thumbnails just fine. When I click on them to see them "bigger", the don't "load". I have to hit NEXT through all the pics, then they appear. Or, when I first click on them, and it is trying to load, but won't, I can click on that pic and I will see the full size image of it...but then have to hit the back button to get back to the thread, and then have to go through all of that to see the next pic.

Doug Wolf
12-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the post about the pictures not loading. Once again I thought it was just me having the exact same problem.

Mike Cruz
12-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah...but what's the solution/fix to THAT one?

Jason Beam
12-25-2013, 1:31 PM
The solution is to realize that IE is not the most popular browser anymore and the only way to motivate Microsoft to fix anything is to quit using it. That's how they took over the web -- and subsequently lost their dominance when other browsers did it better than they did.

First and foremost - if you update to the latest and greatest when it first comes out, you're a beta tester -- that's just the reality today.

Curt Harms
12-26-2013, 8:03 AM
The solution is to realize that IE is not the most popular browser anymore and the only way to motivate Microsoft to fix anything is to quit using it. That's how they took over the web -- and subsequently lost their dominance when other browsers did it better than they did.

First and foremost - if you update to the latest and greatest when it first comes out, you're a beta tester -- that's just the reality today.

Also, there's nothing that says you can only have one browser. I find some sites work smoother with one browser than with another. SMC is pretty much perfect with Firefox IME.

Larry Whitlow
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Today, I'm encountering this exact same problem (I use IE). Hate to ask, but how do you load "compatibility mode"?

Larry Whitlow
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Today, I'm encountering this exact same problem (I use IE). Hate to ask, but how do you load "compatibility mode"?

Aw, got it from the other thread called "Lag" about this problem. Thanks.

Lud martinson
01-30-2014, 2:11 PM
I'm having same probs...pc dummy...need to be hand held from step #1...windows 8.1, IE, Comcast speed everywhere 'cept here. Thks in advance.

Patrick McCarthy
01-30-2014, 8:23 PM
I am also frequently having the typing issue . . . although strangely this message seems just fine, so far . . . or not

Bill Orbine
02-08-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm another tally to the typing problem on ONLY SawMill Creek! Keyboard works every where else. ONLY SMC! It'll be working fine and start slowing down and start missing characters. It's taking me 20 minutes to type this reply for whatisnormally a coupl minuts.

Jerry Toschlog
02-08-2014, 10:23 PM
same here!!!!! so I even tried typing in word then paste it here.. but the words get split and ran together in odd way like Bill its only happening here.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Are you using IE-11?

If so you need to enable Compatibility View settings by clicking on the Tools (looks like a gear) in the upper right corner of your window....then select Compatibility View settings and "add" sawmillcreek.org to the box.

In most cases, IE-10 upgraded automatically to IE-11. IE-11 will work fine here after you add it to the Compatibility View settings.

I use IE-11.

Bill Orbine
02-09-2014, 1:17 PM
Are you using IE-11?

If so you need to enable Compatibility View settings by clicking on the Tools (looks like a gear) in the upper right corner of your window....then select Compatibility View settings and "add" sawmillcreek.org to the box.

In most cases, IE-10 upgraded automatically to IE-11. IE-11 will work fine here after you add it to the Compatibility View settings.

I use IE-11.

Ken, Thanks for the information. Your input seems to have helped the typing issue. Earlier, I was merely confused between the "compatibility view" and the "compatibility mode" discussed on this thread. You hit the nail on the head! I use a nail gun, mostly!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2014, 1:24 PM
Bill,

I got burned by it too, Bill.

IIRC, someone posted that Microsoft to improve security in IE-11, they added this requirement. I was perfectly happy with IE-10, had heard rumors of guys not liking IE-11 and then one day it updated automatically. I might have been online without enough coffee in me that day. Then I found the same thing you experienced.