PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Baldor Motor

Alan Lightstone
12-04-2013, 8:33 PM
Need a quick assist from the electrically minded. I have a Baldor motor I need to hook up (115V / 220V), reversible. Just need to hook it up to AC, 115V, Single Phase.

I'm somewhat confused by the wiring diagram (which saddens me, as that means I've just officially thrown out my MIT education).

Which leads go to the line voltage? And which leads get reversed if I need to reverse the motor?

Here is the wiring diagram that the motor came with.

And the face plate from the motor (if that matters).

I have leads 1, 3, and 8 tied together, and leads 2,5,and J tied together. Lead 4 is separate.

It looks to me like line voltage goes to leads 1(tied to 3 and 8) and 4.

And if I need to reverse things, I'll tie leads (1,3, and 5 together), and leads (2,8, and J together).

Is that correct? Do I need to send a contribution to the alumni association and apologize?

Garth Almgren
12-04-2013, 8:54 PM
It looks to me like line voltage goes to leads 1(tied to 3 and 8) and 4.

And if I need to reverse things, I'll tie leads (1,3, and 5 together), and leads (2,8, and J together).

Is that correct? Do I need to send a contribution to the alumni association and apologize?

Not an electrician by any means, but I can follow a diagram and I'd interpret it the same as you. Restated:

{1,3,8,line A}, {2,5,J}, {4,line B}
Reverse: {1,3,5,line A}, {2,8,J}, {4,line B}

jack forsberg
12-04-2013, 9:03 PM
3 /8/1 get conected to one of the the 120 volt leads. the other to 4. you just twist together the 2/5/j for the low voltage connection.

if your motor does not spine the right direction inter change 5 and 8

that means 120 volt get hocked to 3/5/1 and 4 and 2/8/j get connected together.

Alan Lightstone
12-04-2013, 9:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Wired it up. Worked first time. Going in wrong direction (Murphy's Law strikes again).

One related question. How tight should a twist lock link belt be between two pulley's? Is there a rule of thumb for that to avoid slippage, either now, or in the future?

Jim Matthews
12-05-2013, 7:15 AM
The belt will expand a little, under heavy load.

If you can press the belt inward with finger pressure, around 1/4" it should be about right.
If it squeals, it's slipping and needs to be a little tighter.

I would err on the side of too loose, so that you can take up slack.

Patrick Grady
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
In case you wanted to have the choice of either forward or reverse, here is a wiring diagram using a simple inexpensive double pole double throw switch which would be downstream of the on/off power switch (and of same amperage capacity) and upstream of the motor and this is a pictorial looking at the underside-terminal view of the switch. The logic and variations in this wiring is employed universally in many electrical applications as well as many 'either-or' digital applications.