PDA

View Full Version : New here and just saying HI

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 6:46 PM
I just signed up yesterday.

Please forgive any spelling errors. I was in a bombing in the Middle East and have a lot of brain damage.

I LOVE turning and watch DVDs on tuning so I can learn to turn other things. I turn from a wheelchair and have a Delta 46-460 lathe.

If anyone knows of someone selling a lathe that I can turn from the end of the bed or it turns 180* please let me know. It is extremely hard for me to turn sideways to the lathe.

I also teach other Vets / Active Duty and their families how to turn. Mostly pens I donate to them to turn and now I started teaching bowls and vase.

Thank You
Arlin

Dennis Ford
12-04-2013, 7:11 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek and thank you for your service.

Hayes Rutherford
12-04-2013, 7:21 PM
Hi Arlin, welcome and thank you for serving our country. Check out Oneway's sit down lathe and I think Robust has one as well but maybe not what you are thinking of. Please share some pictures of your work.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2013, 7:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Arlin! Thank you for your service to our country!

Dwight Rutherford
12-04-2013, 7:49 PM
Welcome fellow Vet. There are a number of lathes available that have sliding head stocks . This allows one to turn off the end of the lathe. My Jet 1642 is just one. There are others on the forum that can suggest head stocks that swivel.

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 7:57 PM
Dwight

Thank you very much. It is had learning how to go in this system.
I did notice that an individual is selling a Nova 3000 and it looks like something I can use. I can not contact him for some reason.
I also notice this has spell check and that a person can not type very fast here or it skips letter or puts them all together.

I have been turning for about 4 years, but a total of only 40 hours or so.

Arlin

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 8:05 PM
Hayes

I have tried both of those lathes from afew other guys that had them. Both of them do not slide down the end of the bed or swivel. They just tilt the whole frame down to a lower height. I really need the lathe of what I mentioned.

I retired from Mountain Home AFB ID. That was my first retirement. I was recalled after 9/11 and served another 5 years.

Thanks for the tips thou.

Arlin

charlie knighton
12-04-2013, 8:14 PM
welcome, thanks for your service

Sid Matheny
12-04-2013, 9:01 PM
Thank you for your service Arlin and you may want to look at the Nova DVR-XP. The head can be turned 90% and with a stand that is the right height for you it would work out just right I think.

Sid

Dale Gillaspy
12-04-2013, 9:09 PM
As the others have said, thank you for your service. It can't be said enough. There are several very active turners in the AAW who are wheelchair bound. One of them demonstrated in the vendor area at the last symposium. I'm sure you we could put you in touch if you are interested. He might have some insights.

Harry Robinette
12-04-2013, 9:28 PM
Arlin
Glad you found us everyone here is very helpful. Thanks for your service, 20yr 2mts 14days USAF Retired 01/12/93. Check with Robust they have a sliding head lathe. If your in a club you might think about seeing if someone could help you build or modify a lathe to fit you.

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks Harry

I do belong to a club and the AAW. That is how I found he Oneway and the Robust sitdown lathes do not work. Other then that the new lathes are way out of my budget for sure. I had 20 years 1 month 4 days and then recalled and put in another 4 years 8 months and 6 days in before my last accident

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Dale

Arlin Eastman
12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks Guys

There is a lot of people responding and it is hard for me to keep up.
Arlin

robert baccus
12-04-2013, 11:01 PM
All of our respect and thanks. Best of luck.

Reed Gray
12-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Hey Arlin, Welcome to the Creek. I was wondering when I would see you over here.

robo hippy

Ted Reischl
12-05-2013, 7:53 AM
Hello Arlin, I am pretty new here too, just a few weeks and this is a great group of people!

Right now, I am rebuilding two Delta 1460's (12 inch swing, 36 between centers) that are designed to do outboard turning. The spindle has threads on both sides of the headstock so you can just put a faceplate or chuck on the outboard side. The one I will be selling is on welded steel legs so they are not really worth much, if anything. But the idea is that you could have the lathe mounted at whatever height is convenient to you.

Here is a link to the post on the rebuilds:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210667-Rebuilding-a-Circa-1946-Delta-12-Inch-Lathe

I am in MA so shipping it is really not practical due to costs. But, these lathes come up regularly on EBay, sometimes they need a bit of restoration or locate a few missing parts.

If anyone reading this post has a way of getting it to Iowa, lets talk!

BTW, I am a Vietnam Vet, also AF, was a flight engineer on C-123's and also flew as an observer on O2-B's. Did multiple tours.

Ted Reischl
12-05-2013, 8:09 AM
Hello Arlin,

I just took a quick look at craigslist and found this one over in Platteville, WI:

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/4228625270.html

Thom Sturgill
12-05-2013, 9:06 AM
Probably the *best* bet is the Robust Independence which has both a height adjustable bed and a tilting bed along with a sliding headstock. This was designed and built in America specifically for wheel-chair bound turners. One of the turners in my club had input into the design and helped demo the lathe in Tampa. His personal lathes are Jets with a rotating headstock, though I know he wants the Robust. David Ellsworth helped the Tampa turner get his by helping to fund the development for the first one.

As a Nam Vet with heart problems and gout, I can foresee the probability of needing such myself.

Arlin Eastman
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Reed

I never heard of This forum before. However, I was told about it by Mike Simpson.

Arlin

Arlin Eastman
12-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ted, But I can not drive yet per Dr. orders. I am still taking a lot of meds.
Arlin

Arlin Eastman
12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Ted
That sure is a nice rebuild and nice old lathe too. Good job

Arlin

PS - It looks like that lathe can have inserts under the headstock and tail stock to raise it up for a higher swing.

Arlin Eastman
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Sid

That is sure one nice lathe and would love to have one, but $2300 is a lot for me to pay right now.
Arlin

Steve Mawson
12-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey Arlin,
Glad to have you here. Don't have any tips for a lathe but I get through Council Bluffs from time to time. Usually have lots of wood that would work for pens and small stuff so if I can help out there let me know.

You know by now that there are lot of very good folks here and always ready to help.

Richard Madden
12-07-2013, 1:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Arlin. Lots of good people here and plenty of help and info.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2013, 2:04 PM
Arlin, thank you for your service and Welcome to the Creek! Let me know if you have any questions or problems getting around on the site. It's not too difficult but until you've done things a few times, it may help having someone explain things.

Arlin Eastman
12-07-2013, 4:50 PM
Thank you Steve.

The more I am on here the more I learn. One thing, it seems the site will not keep up with me typing and have to go back and retype letters all the time.
Arlin

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2013, 5:46 PM
Arlin... I know the feeling! I use the biblical method of typing myself... seek and ye shall find!

Scott T Smith
12-07-2013, 9:02 PM
Hi Arlin - welcome to SMC! I think that you will enjoy it here; there is a wealth of credible information freely shared by the members.

What type of turning projects do you have planned?

Scott

Dan Henry
12-07-2013, 9:16 PM
Arlin
On the Hunt county Woodturners web site we have plans to make a sit down lathe stand that will accommodate Mini Jet lath. A little beefing up and it would handle a Delta. The lathe bed pivots so it can be used either setting down or standing. I designed the stand and build 3 or 4 so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for your service, I am retired from the Air Force.

Web site is www.huntcountywoodturners.org look under club projects.

Dan

James Combs
12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Hi Arlin, can't add to sit-down lathe info but can say many thanks for your service to our great country. Vietnam vet myself with 24yrs, 9mths in USN.

Dune Crane
12-08-2013, 7:51 AM
Welcome Arlin, and thank you for your service.

Doug Herzberg
12-08-2013, 9:53 PM
Welcome and thanks for your service. I can't add anything much to the sliding/swiveling headstock discussion. My Grizzly 698 (now 733) slides down to the end and has an optional outboard toolrest. If I recall, the swivel head on the DVR also has an optional toolrest for outboard turning.

Council Bluffs is very near home for me. I have a sister in Glenwood.

Please don't feel like you have to respond to every post. This is a great place for questions or just to hang out and read what everyone else is up to.

John Fabre
12-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Welcome aboard the Creek!

Arlin Eastman
12-09-2013, 2:06 AM
Doug
I grew up in Evergreen Co and went into the Air Force in Jan 1978. I live between Glenwood an Council Bluffs Just off of I-29 exit42 The Bellevue/Offutt AFB exit

I sure would love to hear from you when you are here. That is where the Loess Hills Turning Club is also.

Matter of Fact I would love for anyone to stop by and say Hi and share a cup of Coffee or Tea with me and see my shop.

Arlin

PS - I would love to have the NOVA DVR or the new 2024 lathe also that has the speed adjuster on your wrist.