PDA

View Full Version : Another, which bandsaw thread

Wells Griffith
12-04-2013, 3:23 PM
Hey guys,
I have been lurking here a while and finally decided to post!

I need help deciding on 14" bandsaws. I want to spend around 4-500 dollars. I probably do 10 hours a week of wood working. My previous one that I used was a old 12" craftsman. I use the bandsaw for ripping and occasionally resawing, general cutting (I have no tablesaw).

So my questions!

1. Is there a difference between the craftsman 14" and the Rikon 10-321? I emailed both companies and asked them and have not received a reply back from either.

2. What is the deal with amps to hp. For instance, the Porter cable bandsaw claims 1.5 hp but is 10 amps which is less than the G0555 1hp which is 11 amps. So is that PC really .5 hp better than the Grizzly?

So any general recommendations in the 400 dollar range? I read through most of the old threads and it seems prices have gone up a whole lot since then as there are essentially no grizzlies in that price range currently. I like the idea of buying the PC (400 dollar right now at Lowes with 10 percent off) because it claims the most hp in the price range...

I have also looked at craigslist and cannot find anything that is not junk or overpriced by a large margin (except a powermatic that was 3 phase which i dont have)

Andrew Fleck
12-04-2013, 4:02 PM
Have you considered a VFD for that Powermatic? Depending on the HP a new VFD can easily be found for under $200. I'm not sure how much they wanted for the Powermatic.

I have a G0555 and it's a good little bandsaw. If your patient one will probably pop up on craigslist in your price range if not lower.

Another route you can take is to find an older bandsaw and put some elbow grease into cleaning it up. I see old Delta's all the time for $150-200.

Rich Riddle
12-04-2013, 4:04 PM
Given the options you offered, I wouldn't even think twice. Go for the Powermatic 141 and change it to a single-phase motor. It's inexpensive and easy to find a motor that fits that unit and it can handle two or three horsepower if you find one of those. I used a Powermatic that was formerly 3-phase until a Powermatic 143 showed up (metal/wood). The bearings are easy to find and super inexpensive. They change out in half an hour. Here is a picture of the 141 with the easily identified new single-phase motor.

I went by the woodworking shop where it was sold last month and it's running strong. These things were regarded as one of the best bandsaws made. It too less than two hours to change the motor, rewire the switch and install the bearings. Easy machine to work on.

Wells Griffith
12-04-2013, 4:16 PM
Well here is the powermatic i am talking about, http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/4222853496.html.

It is about a 3 hour round trip on top of being 400 dollars. So it starts to add up. I offered him 200 and he said he would consider it so...

Where is the best place to find a 3 hp single phase on the cheap? Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/3-horsepower-compressor-duty-motor-68302.html? Or would I be taking two steps forward and one backwards with the HF motor.

Andrew Fleck
12-04-2013, 4:22 PM
Well here is the powermatic i am talking about, http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/4222853496.html.

It is about a 3 hour round trip on top of being 400 dollars. So it starts to add up. I offered him 200 and he said he would consider it so...

Where is the best place to find a 3 hp single phase on the cheap? Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/3-horsepower-compressor-duty-motor-68302.html? Or would I be taking two steps forward and one backwards
with the HF motor.

I personally wouldn't consider putting a HF motor in that bandsaw, but to each their own. Decent 3hp single phase motors aren't exactly cheap. I would put a VFD on that saw. As a bonus it will allow you to control the speed right from the VFD.

Matt Day
12-04-2013, 4:53 PM
Get a teco fm50 from Factorymation, I've been very happy with mine.

Rich Riddle
12-04-2013, 5:13 PM

Where is the best place to find a 3 hp single phase on the cheap? Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/3-horsepower-compressor-duty-motor-68302.html? Or would I be taking two steps forward and one backwards with the HF motor.

That is a Powermatic 143 metal/wood bandsaw with the transmission, not 141. He doesn't know what he has. The blades are worth half of what he's asking. I have had people offer me $1200 for mine and laughed at them. That was a $3000 or $4000 saw new. You are comparing apples to oranges when you are asking about the current stuff against that. Here is my Powermatic 143 in the shop.

Rich Riddle
12-04-2013, 5:17 PM
That is one of the last models made as well, it's the green with the white racing stripes. They didn't make that model when they went to mustard.

Wells Griffith
12-04-2013, 6:53 PM
Well he has just contacted me back and it is sold. I am considering shattering my budget and going with G0513P. Anyone have any recommendations for that price range or is that the best option?

Mike Hollingsworth
12-04-2013, 6:56 PM
Powermatic 143 with single phase is worth $1000 any day of the week.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-04-2013, 6:57 PM
Buyer Probably reads SMC

Myk Rian
12-04-2013, 6:59 PM
1. Is there a difference between the craftsman 14" and the Rikon 10-321? I emailed both companies and asked them and have not received a reply back from either.

2. What is the deal with amps to hp. For instance, the Porter cable bandsaw claims 1.5 hp but is 10 amps which is less than the G0555 1hp which is 11 amps. So is that PC really .5 hp better than the Grizzly?
What did you ask them both? Which one is better? I doubt you'll get a response from either.

Horsepower ratings these days are a crap shoot. They don't tell you if it's actual, or what they're marketing department dreamed up.
You can only rely on hp ratings from before the 60s.

As mentioned, swap out the motor in that PM and be happy.

Andrew Fleck
12-04-2013, 7:03 PM
Well he is just contacted me back and it is sold. I am considering shattering my budget and going with G0513P. Anyone have any recommendations for that price range or is that the best option?

Don't let it get you down. Where are you located at? I'm assuming there is a fairly large city within a couple of hours from you. If so, a good bandsaw should pop up before long.

Wells Griffith
12-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Well, it looks like the G0457 is going to be the winner here as I am trying to get my shop set up prior to Christmas. I have completely shattered my budget! Thanks for all the help. Anyone happen to have a Grizzly coupon laying around or know if they are still in various magazines?

Guy Belleman
12-06-2013, 6:32 AM
I have the older Grizzly 15" model that led to the G0457 model, and it has been a super machine. Mine only has a 3/4hp motor, so the 2hp on the G0457 should provide plenty of power. I did add a better tension handle, but with a good blade, that saw has done everything I needed. I had an older 14" saw that I fiddled with for years, and it was a shear delight to upgrade to the G1148. Now, I would only recommend to anyone to get the bigger box frame type saw with new features.

All of that said, I also have the 17" G0513X2 and love it. If you have the money to look at the G0457, then I would highly recommend looking at the G0513P which is a better saw and less money, or if you can swing just another fifty dollars, the G0513X2 would be a saw that would last a lifetime. I really like the quick tension release and the windows to set blade tracking and tension.

Good luck on the decision.