PDA

View Full Version : Finished Router-table

Bart Leetch
06-08-2005, 12:51 AM
With my wood working buddy & I working together we finished the fence for my router-table. It is the fence from last November's Wood magazine. As you can see in the pictures the throat of the fence is adjustable & there is provision for dust collection through the fence.

I put a Hitachi M12V that was given to me in the table. I had to use a remote speed control because the speed control in the router was burned out. But I can't complain it was free. I also used the switch from Sears which has 2 plug ins on the back side.

I plan to purchase the router raiser for the M12V.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-08-2005, 2:07 AM
Hi Bart, Cool looking fence. That baby looks solid! Nice job.

Bob Noles
06-08-2005, 6:19 AM
Bart,

Nice set up. Looks like you are ready for some heavy duty routing.

Jim VanBramer
06-08-2005, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder on the fence article Bart. I just finished my new router table and was trying to remember where it was I saw that nice looking design. I'll have to go home and hunt that issue up!
P.S. - things a bit moist up there on Whidbey the last couple of days??? :eek:

Jim V

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 3:03 PM
Nice work, Bart, looks roc solid.

Steve Cox
06-08-2005, 3:05 PM
I thought things were ALWAYS a bit moist up on Whidbey. Not that it's been all that dry down on this end of the sound.:)

Bart Leetch
06-08-2005, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Guys my wood working buddy was a great help in the construction of this fence.

The weather here has been a bit moist the last couple of days. Usually it is a little dryer here than it is in Seattle or Tacoma. We always get a chuckle out of what people in other areas of the US think about Whidbey Island being wet & rainy all the time. Tain't true :p . We get a little wetter from time to time but the reason the Navy base is here is because the weather here is better here than it is further south :eek: . Thats my story & I'm sticking to it :D .

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 4:04 PM
Turned out great, Bart!

Vaughn McMillan
06-08-2005, 5:33 PM
Nice table and fence, Bart. What's the table made of? I'm guessing 1 or 2 layers of MDF edge-banded with some type of hardwood. I'm looking a building an insert for my TS, and trying to get ideas.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
06-08-2005, 8:31 PM
Lookin' good, Bart! REAL good!:) Very well executed and appears to be very capable for just about any routing chores. Hmmmm....I need to build something a bit more substantial for mine. Maybe a copy of that would be just the ticket!:) :rolleyes:

Tom Pritchard
06-08-2005, 8:44 PM
Bart, the table looks great! Very sturdy, and it has a lot of flexibility built in. It also looks like you will have awesome dust control!!

One thing to watch out for. I see that you put two adhesive rulers on the tabletop to set your fence. I did the same thing on mine and ran into a problem. I was routing the edge to a tabletop that I was working on (cherry), and as I was pushing it through, the wood got stuck on the edge of the adhesive ruler instead of sliding over it! I applied a little more pressure to the piece to get it through, and it hopped away from the bit, gouged the edge of the tabletop, and burned the cherry while it was sitting there not moving. I have since removed it, and I'm working on a different (hopefully improved) method. In the meantime I just measure from the miter slot each time.

Again, great job!

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 9:12 PM
Looks great Bart, very beefy! Should work well!
Corey

John Gregory
06-09-2005, 2:47 PM
I have the 12MV in a table right now, but I plan on moving it to my TS wing soon. I have the router lift from Woodpecker's http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html I really like it. You might check it out. How are you doing dust/chip collection? I have this (http://www.woodpeck.com/downdraft.html#147) ordered and should be here today

Harry Goodwin
06-09-2005, 3:21 PM
Bart: not fishing or bad weather with the new boat. I olove your table and that switch is what I have advocated for all tools that can be shut off with that switch. Harry