PDA

View Full Version : Lots of lumber

Mike Dodge
12-04-2013, 2:43 PM
I have access to 160 acres of wooded property in NW Wi. loaded with downed trees. As I was sitting in my deer stands and tromping through the woods last week I counted over 50 good size oaks and several huge pines that were blown down in a storm that took place 2 summers ago. The pines have died from being sheered of at their tops. I estimate that some are 60+ feet tall, very straight and a bottom circumference of 16ft. The oaks are of all sizes.

My basement is unfinished and would like to use these trees for a rustic look. Looking for suggestions to have some trees processed into workable lumber. Any ideas in Northwest Wi. for barter would be welcomed......Thanks Mike

Matt Day
12-04-2013, 3:01 PM
You should search for someone with a Woodmizer in your area. I think they have a locating service through the company. Bartering with a local sawyer would be the best bet.

Jim Andrew
12-04-2013, 8:04 PM
Mike, you need to go to forestryforum.com, as there are lots of guys near you in Wisconsin who have mills.

Scott T Smith
12-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I have access to 160 acres of wooded property in NW Wi. loaded with downed trees. As I was sitting in my deer stands and tromping through the woods last week I counted over 50 good size oaks and several huge pines that were blown down in a storm that took place 2 summers ago. The pines have died from being sheered of at their tops. I estimate that some are 60+ feet tall, very straight and a bottom circumference of 16ft. The oaks are of all sizes.

My basement is unfinished and would like to use these trees for a rustic look. Looking for suggestions to have some trees processed into workable lumber. Any ideas in Northwest Wi. for barter would be welcomed......Thanks Mike

Mike, the trees that have sheared off (whether it is the tops or at the base) are poor candidates for milling as the logs are usually full of shake.

Any trees that were uprooted would make a better candidate for milling.

White oak lasts for several years after being downed; that would be my first suggestion for milling. Red oaks that have been down for a couple of summers will have a nice rustic look to the lumber.

Joe Hillmann
12-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Where specifically are you in Wisconsin? There are hundreds of people in the area who own portable sawmills. Depending on your area I may be able to give you names and numbers.

Mike Dodge
12-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Joe H.
The land is located N. of Black River Falls. I live in the Chicago burbs.....Thanks for the feedback....Mike

Joe Hillmann
12-05-2013, 1:24 PM
That is farther south than I was expecting. About an hour north of you I of quite a few but down that far I can't really recommend anyone.

You had mentioned wanting to maybe barter, you could try contacting Hanson's Hardwood & Holsteins out of Cameron, WI. They often buy small-ish loads of logs from land owners and they pay decent prices for them. Maybe they would be willing to trade, instead of paying you for the logs, giving you an equivalent amount of lumber.

Also just west a few miles north west of Black River Falls there is a large number of Amish, I am sure there are several of them that own mills.