PDA

View Full Version : Avg

Bob Rufener
12-04-2013, 1:55 PM
Somehow, AVG got installed on my laptop. I have tried to remove it by going to Control panel, highlighting AVG and trying uninstall. Every time I do it, I get the same message. The requested action was not completed. Please try again later. I have tried going through AVG to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated.
'

Lee Schierer
12-04-2013, 2:56 PM
It would be helpful to know what operating system you are using. Go into AVG and disable everything you can from their control panel. Then try starting your computer in safe mode. Go to the control panel and remove the program.

David Weaver
12-04-2013, 3:31 PM
AVG offers a removal tool from their own website if you can't get it out via control panel.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-5172 (at the end of the list)

Perry Holbrook
12-04-2013, 7:06 PM
What's wrong with having AVG? I thought it was a good anti-virus program.
Pry

Myk Rian
12-04-2013, 8:39 PM
What's wrong with having AVG? I thought it was a good anti-virus program.
Pry
It is. I've used it for years.
Just don't like all the tool bars it wants to install.

curtis rosche
12-05-2013, 12:21 AM
I like adaware much much better than avg

paul cottingham
12-05-2013, 1:12 AM
We used to call people who relied on AVG "customers." I don't believe adaware scans for virii.

glenn bradley
12-05-2013, 6:51 AM
We used to call people who relied on AVG "customers." I don't believe adaware scans for virii.

Get the right tool for the job. Thinking you have protection is much more dangerous than not having protection. If you think you're covered, you become casual. If you know you're not covered, you remain cautious (but still exposed).

Myk Rian
12-05-2013, 9:48 AM
I like adaware much much better than avg
It's good for blocking ads, but does nothing to protect you from virii.

Perry Holbrook
12-05-2013, 9:58 AM

Sorry, but I don't understand this and the other comments. My IT guy says AVG is the best, much better than Norton. Is he feeding me a bunch of bull or not?

Perry

David Weaver
12-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I guess "best" depends on whether or not you get something the "best" doesn't block. I've been using AVG for 6 or 7 years or something, and it was great at first when it wasn't bloated. All they were trying to do was sell you the pro version by letting you use a free one.

Eventually, that changed to what looks like harvesting data and pointing you to redirected search results, which you can disable and remove (and I do), but it does make it a nuisance and deters updating the software when it wants to update all the time. You know when it tries to update, that it's going to try to layer on all of their data harvesting bloated junk.

paul cottingham
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand this and the other comments. My IT guy says AVG is the best, much better than Norton. Is he feeding me a bunch of bull or not?

Perry
We found more computers lousy with virii running AVG more than any other product other than maybe McAfee. Hence the snarky comment....these folks needed us to clean their computers as a result. So now they were customers. This may have changed, but I seriously doubt it.
seriously, if I had a nickel for every person (who had a virus) who told me they use those products, so they don't have a virus, I would own a gold plated Sawstop by now.

David Weaver
12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I wonder if you find more people with a virus using AVG because it's easy to get cheaply and it's on more computers.

(I pine for the days of the easy viruses. From 1995 to 2001, I manually removed every virus I ever got, but gradually came to realize they were becoming more complicated and going without AV was a bad idea).

paul cottingham
12-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I wonder if you find more people with a virus using AVG because it's easy to get cheaply and it's on more computers.

(I pine for the days of the easy viruses. From 1995 to 2001, I manually removed every virus I ever got, but gradually came to realize they were becoming more complicated and going without AV was a bad idea).
Honestly, I think we found that because people were using the cheapest antivirus solution they could find, based on anecdotal evidence. Not only did we find a lot of computers running these products that were infected, but often the AV executable itself was infected.
Computers are a funny thing. They are very complex, yet we found most of our customers (most of whom would never consider wiring a telephone line, as an example of a very simple, safe techy thing to do) were computer experts. Which begged the question of why we were there, of course.....

curtis rosche
12-06-2013, 12:52 AM
pro version claims it does.

curtis rosche
12-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Plus registry tuner and other fun options