PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift

Gordon Eyre
12-04-2013, 1:33 PM
I have a large family (all married) so each year I make a small woodworking gift for each of them. This year I chose to make a tea candle set and made it out of walnut with a poplar base. There are 36 separate pieces of wood in each candle set and I also included a package of 50 tea candles for each of the gifts. Although the set is small when you have 11 kids it is still a large project. I thought that some of you might be interested to see this years gift:

The base of each set is marked with my name and a penny to show the year.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2013, 1:38 PM
A very nice personalized gift Dad! Nicely done! I sure they will be cherished!

Yonak Hawkins
12-04-2013, 1:43 PM
Looks good, Gordon. That's a lot of work there ! 400 pieces of walnut and 99 glue-ups. They'll love them.

Jim Rimmer
12-04-2013, 1:47 PM
Nice gift, Gordon.

Gordon Eyre
12-04-2013, 2:28 PM
A very nice personalized gift Dad! Nicely done! I sure they will be cherished!

Thanks Ken, I built one for my wife and I so that made 12 in all. Got a little boring toward the end. :)

Looks good, Gordon. That's a lot of work there ! 400 pieces of walnut and 99 glue-ups. They'll love them.

I started with roughcut lumber and it was sort of fun to see them all come together. Thanks for your comments.

Nice gift, Gordon.

Thanks Ken, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Bill Edwards(2)
12-04-2013, 3:54 PM
A nest of candles! How very cool! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.png

Raymond Fries
12-04-2013, 4:26 PM
Very nice Gifts. They look awesome!

The gifts from the shop are the best!!

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Andrew Hughes
12-04-2013, 8:56 PM
Very cleaver, Gordon. I made Christmas gifts for my brother and sister one Christmas twenty years ago.And carved a Santa Clause for mom.
Should have put the brakes on long time ago,last year I failed to make anyone something what a buzz kill I was.This year they get new cutting boards.I think next year your candle idea will help.Thanks for sharing.Andrew

Gordon Eyre
12-05-2013, 12:51 AM
A nest of candles! How very cool! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.png

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your comment.

Very nice Gifts. They look awesome!

The gifts from the shop are the best!!

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

My kids are very appreciative of the gifts I have made over the years. Thanks for commenting.

Very cleaver, Gordon. I made Christmas gifts for my brother and sister one Christmas twenty years ago.And carved a Santa Clause for mom.
Should have put the brakes on long time ago,last year I failed to make anyone something what a buzz kill I was.This year they get new cutting boards.I think next year your candle idea will help.Thanks for sharing.Andrew

My wife starts about July asking what "we" are going to make the kids for Christmas. It has been fun and your idea about cutting boards might be a good idea for next year.