PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Push Stick w/Picture (long)

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 5:53 PM
I have been reading "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin. I built his Universal Rip Fence Fixture, you can see that in the photo. It is the plywood part that makes the standard Unifence taller and has a "T" track in it. The Push Stick rides the Fence Fixture, like a saddle.

I wanted a push stick that would stay on the fence and that I wouldn't have to be fiddling around with when in the middle of a rip cut. That necessitated some kind of pawl action for the pusher. I had built everything but the pushing mechanism when Ken posted his push stick on here yesterday. Seeing his gave me some ideas and I finished mine just a little while ago.

It has a swinging pawl that raises up as a board passes under it and drops back down when the tip of the pawl clears the end of the board. This allows it to stay in place while starting and completing most of the rip while there is little danger of you hands getting near the blade. You just pull it back to the near end of the fence and let it sit there. When the tip drops behind the board being ripped you just put your right hand on the handle and push the board on through the blade.

I made the pawl tip a replaceable item. I have made six extras so that I can change them out in a few minutes if the pawl gets cut up beyond usefulness.

Happy to answer any questions or clarify construction details. I don't know how to post more than one photo at a time so I will resort to that. What I really would like to know is how Ken made those thumbnails that you click to enlarge, I like that!

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 5:58 PM
I can't see a picture on my message. The other day Ken posted a picture that I couldn't see on my home computer but could on my office machine. Don't know if the photo is there or not so I am going to try again. Someone let me know if the photo is there>

Jason Roehl
05-17-2003, 6:36 PM
Mac, I see the same photo in both posts.
Great looking push stick.

Wow it is hard to type after a few hours on the ol' chainsaws.

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 6:39 PM
The photo does not show up on my computer when I open the thread. Anyone out there know why?

I am attaching another view of the Push Stick with this.

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 6:57 PM
Another view of the Push Stick that shows the pawl removed.

Again, none of these pictures are showing up on my machine when I open the thread. If anyone knows what I can do, there must be some setting somewhere that I need to turn on or turn off, please let me know.

Ken Salisbury
05-17-2003, 7:02 PM
Is the pawl spring loaded in some way that I can't see in the pictures or are you relying on gravity for the pawl to drop?

If we make enough different versions of these we might get one right before too long. :)

Joe Tonich
05-17-2003, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by Mac McAtee
I have been reading "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin. I built his Universal Rip Fence Fixture, you can see that in the photo. It is the plywood part that makes the standard Unifence taller and has a "T" track in it. The Push Stick rides the Fence Fixture, like a saddle.

Mac,

I see pic's in all your posts. I like what you made! I'm gonna have to get that book for the fence. Was there anything diff. from the book you did so it would fit the unifence? Hopefully my saw will have one of those soon.

Thanks,

Joe

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 7:11 PM
Ken,
It drops by gravity. I picked up two pieces of nylon bushing stock at Home Depot today. 5/16" ID - 1/2" OD. The hole in the plywood pawl "holder" is 1/2". The bolt that holds it on to the saddle is 5/16". The bushing is about 1/32" longer than the thickness of the plywood. the washer holds it all together. The pawl just drops when it comes off the end of the board.

Computer help if you can. The dang pictures don't show up when I open the thread. The waving flag on a previous post does. The pictures you posted yesterday about your push stick show. You posted a picture of a humidor the other day and I can't see it here at home but I can on my computer at work. What do I need to turn on here to let me see the pictures, any suggestions?

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 7:14 PM
Joe,
The fence fixture design in the book mentioned is made for a Bessy fence. I have a picture, end view, of how the fence fixture is fitted to the Unifence but it isn't very clear. I'll make another one that is and then attach it to a message in this thread. Only problem being that I can't see the dang thing.
Mac

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 7:35 PM
Joe,
Here is one view of how the Universal Rip Fence Fixture fits to the Unifence on my saw.

Mac McAtee
05-17-2003, 7:38 PM
Joe,
And another view.

Joe Tonich
05-17-2003, 9:11 PM
Thanks Mac,

I'm gonna try to make one this week. I'll let you know how it turned out if I do.

Thanks for the pic's,

Joe

Ken Salisbury
05-18-2003, 9:21 AM
Originally posted by Mac McAtee
Ken,
Computer help if you can. The dang pictures don't show up when I open the thread. The waving flag on a previous post does. The pictures you posted yesterday about your push stick show. You posted a picture of a humidor the other day and I can't see it here at home but I can on my computer at work. What do I need to turn on here to let me see the pictures, any suggestions?

Mac --- beats me -- maybe you should ask this question on the OT Forum

Mac McAtee
05-19-2003, 8:34 AM
One little construction detail to point out. In the pictures you see a little brown piece of wood under the hinged pawl holder. That is a stop block. You don't want the pawl to drop below the level of your table and catch on the front edge of the saw. You adjust the tip of the pawl so it just clears the table when the arm is resting on that stop. If you were to pull the pusher back so the pawl cleared the tabel it won't get hung up there when you are in the middle of a cut.