PDA

View Full Version : Just a few scraps of wood

steven c newman
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
from clearing the bench of all the leftovers. Had two chunks of Black Walnut, and two of Black Cherry. Both have been used and abused by almost every handplane that has arrived at the Dungeon Shop. Decided to actually USE these pieces to make SOMETHING. Decided to glue them into a slab of sorts. None of these four boards were exactly the same size, in width, or thickness. One was even a bit tapered! Got the slab out of the clamps, after leaving it there for a day or two276283then took an old franken plane to the edges, after sawing the sides square276284 and the sabresaw left a few dippity dos on the edges. Marked the corneres so I could saw them round. and then a roundover bit in a router to round over all the edges. Coat of Mineral Oil on both faces, and allow to dry276285276286276287276284Just four scrap board???The Pumpkin is there because the shop is in the basement, where a lot of other things get stored. All though, I WAS using a JACK plane at the time. The Cherry scraps were the last pieces left from a floor joist I got from a barn that fell down, a 2x10 one at that. A few smooth plane to level the faces of the board, and a final swipe along the edge grain areas. Beltsander to smooth out the curved corners, as I don't have the right plane for that.

Yonak Hawkins
12-04-2013, 1:33 PM
Scraps no more ! Now they're as useful as they are handsome. Looks good.