PDA

View Full Version : Shop tips accepted...

Rick Potter
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Wheee, the money is gonna start rolling in. I got two shop tips accepted by WoodSmith/Shopnotes magazines. I think one is going in each. Not allowed to tell about them till after they are published. Had to send in a drop of virtual blood to seal the deal. No idea how much they will pay, doesn't matter, it's just cool to get accepted.

I had a brainstorm a few years back, and they did a six page article on a drill press cabinet I dreamed up. Coincidently, another mag printed one similar the same month. I know I didn't talk. It must have been one of those 'separate people working on the same thing, at the same time' things. For that one, they gave me a copy of every WoodSmith magazine, back to number one. I didn't even submit the idea, I was in Iowa and stopped to tour WOOD, and August Home/WoodSmith. During the tour, I mentioned an idea I had, and my guide said the mag might be interested. A couple weeks later, they contacted me, and I never even drew it on a napkin.

Rick Potter

Matt Day
12-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Congrats! What issues will they be in, next month?

Pete Duffy
12-04-2013, 8:47 PM
That's cool. I got $100 from Fine Homebuilding for submitting a tip to use a compact fluorescent bulb in a trouble light. It can get banged around, no filament to break, and it doesn't heat up. Now I can tell everyone that I'm "published."

Congrats!

Mike Heidrick
12-04-2013, 9:46 PM
My published shopnotes idea (with pictures - not a quick tip) paid $200 and because it was the top shop tip of the month I got a Bosch 12V drill and impact set. That was last year.

Rick Potter
12-05-2013, 1:40 AM
They haven't told me when, just have to wait. Maybe I'll win a domino? Yeah, right.

Rick Potter

Paul Wunder
12-05-2013, 9:06 AM
Rick,

Congratulations on being a member of an elite fraternity!

I sent one in a few months ago. Alas, it sits in the circular file,

Mike Heidrick
12-05-2013, 9:39 AM
Check last month, they usually saw what the tool you win is.

Myk Rian
12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Congrats.
Wood published a picture of a rocking horse I made. Never got nuttin. Not even my name mentioned. (sniff).

Bill Huber
12-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Congratulations, it is always nice to be recognized for you skills and ideas.

I have received right at $1000 and 2 drill drivers from the different magazines, like I always tell people, everyone has an idea, they just need to send them in.

Jim Underwood
12-05-2013, 12:06 PM
That's cool. I got $100 from Fine Homebuilding for submitting a tip to use a compact fluorescent bulb in a trouble light. It can get banged around, no filament to break, and it doesn't heat up. Now I can tell everyone that I'm "published."

Congrats!

Darn it! Where were you with that idea when I was working as a mechanic?! Man, I broke more bulbs and burnt myself more times..
Oh, that's right, they didn't even make those florescent bulbs back then!:rolleyes: