PDA

View Full Version : Leather writing surface experiance?

Larry Edgerton
12-04-2013, 5:54 AM
The gentleman that used to do the leather desk tops for me has passed away, and as there is no one else in the area that does this, I need to learn to do it myself. I have a couple coming up in the spring so I have time.

If anyone has any experiance with this point me in the right direction please......

Thanks, Larry

Rich Engelhardt
12-04-2013, 6:50 AM
Did you see this already?

www(dot) antiquerestorers.com/LEATHERinstall.htm

Metod Alif
12-04-2013, 8:48 AM
Larry,
A few years ago I made (not at once...) four roll top desks with leather writing surfaces (no decoration s). I used yellow glue to attach the leather to the plywood substrate. Some 20 years later, the two desks that live in our house still 'work'.
Post some sketches of what you wish to do, and let's chew on it.
Best wishes,
Metod

Andrew Duncan
12-07-2013, 1:34 PM
I made three leather panels for a desk using the material and method from the website that Rich posted. All went easily and looked great. The desk is about 4 years old now and the leather panels still look perfect. I also called the guy at the website (forget his name) who was glad to offer advice. The price was also the best I could find at the time.

Rick Lizek
12-07-2013, 2:03 PM
http://www.lonseal.com/show_product/LONTOP
You might consider a modern alternative...

Mark Bolton
12-07-2013, 2:15 PM
http://www.lonseal.com/show_product/LONTOP
You might consider a modern alternative...

Would be hard to believe a customer who is asking for, and willing to pay for, a leather surface would be interested in that option..

But who knows.

Larry Edgerton
12-08-2013, 4:58 PM
Thank you for your replies gentlemen.

Rich, I had not looked at that site, very informative, thank you for posting.

Rick, that would indeed not be what the customer is after, but....... I did find a product on their site that I can use in my own house, so all is well.

I am going to build my wife a small built in desk in our new house [so she stays off of mine] and I will use that as a practice run.

Thanks again, Larry