PDA

View Full Version : Advice please: What SHOULD I want for Christmas?

Frederick Skelly
12-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I build boxes and small furniture in softer woods like Mahogany. About 18 months ago, I saw a list in FWW saying what planes a newbie "must have". Ive bought almost all of those and a couple more, either new or used. Specifically, I have these: low angle and regular block planes, #3, #4, #5 and a small ( 1/2" ) shoulder plane. (Its just been a good year money-wise. Purely good fortune and out of the norm.)

But as a result, Im out of ideas for what I want for Christmas. Im inclined to get 1 or 2 more planes- not because I need them, but just because learning to use them has been such a fascinating journey. (Recall Im both a newbie and a hybrid user - I still plan to use my power planer.) So theres a point where buying more gets rather silly. Problem is, nothing else interests me at this moment.

So I need ideas and advice. Im thinking about buying 1-2 of these planes as candidates:
1. a #7 jointer. Its the last one on the FWW list left to buy, but I just dont know that its worth the $ when Im not going to abandon power tools. Its roughly $300 for LVs. Do I really need a #7 in my tool chest for the work I do? Is it just a smart thing to have, regardless?

2. A #4 1/2 smoother. My #4 does nice work. But the 4 1/2 is supposed to be the cream of the crop for smoothers. Wood River has a nice one for $169.

3. A medium (3/4" wide) shoulder plane. Wood River on sale for $119.

4. A #2 smoother. This one interests me because its small - fits between my block plane and my #3. Seems more versatile for the small stuff I build. The only one I can find is LN, for $250.

5. Scraper plane. The LV is $200-ish. Mostly interested in it because its something I havent tried. But this may not get me much - I have several scrapers and scraper holders, so this might give me the least bang for the buck. I dont know.

Id like to stay at around $300 and I think Id like to buy new rather than old/refurb. All of these are wish list - none of them are really required based on the other stuff I already have. Which one or two of these would be most useful?

Thanks guys!
Fred

Judson Green
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Have ya got a router plane? A rabbeting plane?

Frederick Skelly
12-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks Judson. I forgot to mention that I have a smaal routr plane too!

Thomas Wilson
12-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Whirled peas.

Frederick Skelly
12-03-2013, 10:53 PM
LOL! I just KNEW somebody would say that!
Thanks Thomas!

Judson Green
12-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Just thought to add. Perhaps its not more tools you need. Shop improvements, lighting, vise, and a woodworker should never be out of wood.

Tony Wilkins
12-03-2013, 11:12 PM
I was going to say wood too. How about a hollow and round pair? Veritas Small Plow? Out of your list I'd say #7 or Large shoulder plane and put a #2 on the very bottom (as in off). *

( * I'm a newbie and don't know anything but that never stopped me from answering like an expert )

Kurt Cady
12-03-2013, 11:54 PM
If you're set on a #2, get a LV low angle block plAne with the knob and tote

Jim Koepke
12-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Your first sentence:

I build boxes and small furniture in softer woods like Mahogany.

Leads me to believe you might be among the few who would have more use for a #2 than a #7. If you start regularly working pieces longer than 2 or 3 feet then a #7 might come in handy. Though if you have a power planer you may just need another smoother like the #4-1/2. I like my #4-1/2 but it is just a wider smoother and harder to push than a #3. When I want to work larger areas the #5-1/2 or a #6 comes out.

One problem people have with a #2 is trying to hold it like a larger plane. For me it is easier to keep the tips of my fingers resting against the back rib of the frog than it is to try and wrap them around the handle.

My other suggestion would be for a plow plane. They come in very handy for making grooves for box bottoms or drawer bottoms.

Do you have any use for a spokeshave?

Have you ever noticed a hole in you tool selection?

What kinds of small furniture do you make?

Any specialty tools that would make something easier?

For me, I would like a hewing axe or some more draw knives. That is because I have trees on my property that can be harvested.

Molding planes would also be on my list. Do you see yourself getting into making molding for your own furniture projects?

Some day I would like to do some inlay. That means making or buying some tools.

I do enjoy trying to carve and have done a few things. Carving gouges might be useful for carved decorations on some of your boxes or furniture.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
12-04-2013, 1:19 AM
I would say get a versatile plane like the Veritas Low Angle Smoother. Technically it's of similar size to your number 4 but you can purchase a toothed, 38 and 50 degree blades to go along with the standard 25 degree blade. This would give you a plane that can handle tricky figured wood, knots, shooting, smoothing, end grain and it's comfortable to hold.

$219 for the plane with a PM-V11 blade. $79.80 for the additional PM-V11 38 & 50 degree blades and $33.90 for the A2 toothed blade.

Total of $332.70 so not much more than your cut-off.

Tony Zaffuto
12-04-2013, 5:27 AM
Shoulder plane, one or two top grade chisels (LN, LV PMV-11, etc.), one of the LV molded spine saws, a spokeshave (even if you have no use for it now, you soon will), good bench vise (I think the LV quick release steel vise is better than the old Records), and so forth.

Chris Griggs
12-04-2013, 6:14 AM
4 vs 41/2 is just personal preference...4 1/2 is no "better". Skip it for now.

No. 2...have you ever held one, they are pretty small, like Jim said you would need adjust your grip. Could be super handy, but on the other hand might not offer much above and beyond your 3. Skip it for now

Scraper plane...are you encountering situations where you need one? If your not working really heavily figured wood you probably don't need one. Skip it.

3/4 shoulder plane...a very nice all around sized plane. I have the LV in that size and it does eveything I need for a shoulder plane. 3/4 WR shoulder could be a good option, but since you already have a small you might be better off saving for a large and covering both ends of the spectrum...again though a 3/4" is a great all around size andis sure to see a lot of use.

No 7...yes, a great choice. Ever need to flatten a panel wider than you planer or jointer? Ever need to get a really nice edge joint? Then yes, one long plane is really something you want. 6s are great too, and if your not making a lot of things where your workpieces are over 3-4 ft than a 6 is plenty long enough and in my opinion nicer to use.

Many many other options.....router plane, spokeshaves, nice rasps, joinery saws, bench chisels, paring chisels, some type of shooting/miter plane, a nice set of Grace screwdrivers (love these), something for fitting tenon cheeks (float, wide chisel, rabbet block, skew block, large shoulder, whatever), joinery saws, marking gauges or squares or other marking measuring equipment....these are all things you'll find useful as a hybrid woodworker. I left the plow and skew rabbet off the list because I imagine you use your powered router for that. Many many things that will be nice to have and helpful to your woodworking.

David Weaver
12-04-2013, 7:28 AM
Jointer, without a doubt. The 4 1/2 is neither better nor more capable than your #4.

Sean Hughto
12-04-2013, 8:20 AM
In my experience, my 7 is perhaps my most used and valued plane. It excels at jointing edges. of course, but for flattening panels, four squaring cupped or twisted boards, fitting drawers and doors, and even planing very small parts used upside down in my vise and on and on.

Brian Thornock
12-04-2013, 8:57 AM
I am a hybrid worker and I would not give up my #7. There have been times where I bought a longer board and used the 7 on it before running it through the jointer because there were high spots that would have made the end result a tapered board. The #7 allowed me to get more yield out of it. I think that that is the main advantage of things like a scrub plane and a jointer plane for hybrid workers. You aren't using a machine to take down a bunch of material when you just need to take care of one isolated spot.

I second the recommendations for a good vise and spokeshave as well.

Metod Alif
12-04-2013, 9:02 AM
You want something but you do not know what for? ..........Ouch!
Metod

Prashun Patel
12-04-2013, 9:35 AM
If you don't have a set of chisels, I'd go there first.

Next, I'd get a shoulder plane, but I'd look hard at the large one from Veritas.

A jointer may be a good tool for many, but if you're making (I'm assuming smallish sized) boxes, I don't think you'll gain much on your #5. I wouldn't go there unless you really want one.

Adam Petersen
12-04-2013, 9:43 AM
In my opinion, out of your list, a jointer is what's missing. I have the LV BUJ and I love it. I've also used other 7's and 8's of vintage origin. They all worked well. I think this is a pretty essential tool for the hand tool furniture maker. If you have a power jointer you still should have a 7 or 8 for those wider boards too. Very versatile.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-04-2013, 9:46 AM
Are you happy with your sharpening solution? What about saws - a nice backsaw can be a joy to use and quite handy, and even when I have power tools at my disposal, there are always times I grab a Ryoba or a panel saw. Holdfasts, either the traditional whack-em style like the Gramercy ones, or Lee Valley's twist-the-handle interpretation, are very useful, for both power and hand work. Marking equipment, like marking knives and gauges, are essential. The most used tool in my shop on some days is just a nice shop knife.

For me, asking for gifts from others is always the time I look to get things I know I won't buy myself, but would really enjoy having, something a little silly and a little extravagant. Maybe a fancy-pants marking knife, or a fancy hammer or something.

Or on the other end of the spectrum, (the socks and undies vs. the jewelry side - now that I'm older I miss being a kid and knowing my sock purchases where taken care of, even if I hated getting socks for Christmas as a kid) something that's just kind of boring and I put off purchasing because I keep buying "fun" things for the shop. A giant package of sandpaper, or boxes of screws or hinges or dominoes if that's how you roll. The sort of stuff you're always running out of, or the things you always mean to get but put off because a rabbet plane seems like more fun to have than a sharpening stone or some more 1/8th inch drill bits you might really need.

Edward Mitton
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I can't believe there is a woodworker out there who cannot come up with a 'wish list' for Christmas!!;) I don't think I will ever run out of ideas for acquiring the 'ultimate' tool kit, and shop accessories for as long as I am around. That's not to mention the many books that are out there waiting to be absorbed... and clamps....I've heard that one can never have enough clamps.... hardware....project materials.....glues...finishes...shop rags.....it goes on forever.
Whenever my kids ask me what I want for Christmas, I can easliy whip up two wish lists for them: One with woodworking stuff, and the other would be a "Musician's Friend" catalog, with items adorned with "circles and arrows and a paragraph explaining what each one was" (a little Arlo Guthrie for ya').

Hilton Ralphs
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Just point the loved ones to your Lee Valley wish list.

Chris Griggs
12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Just point the loved ones to your Lee Valley wish list.

That never works for me. I send it out religiously and they almost never get me anything off of it. My wife and my mother have both said to me and I quote "you're going to buy yourself that stuff anyway so I'm going to get you something you won't get for yourself".

I must confess they are right...I'd still be wearing clothes and shoes from high school if they didn't insist on buying that stuff for me. It works out pretty well though I guess...I'm better at buying tools for myself and they are far better at dressing me than I am at dressing myself.

Tom Vanzant
12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Hilton/Chris,
The Lee Valley wish list didn't work for me, but the Lee Valley gift card works like a charm. I get 2-4 in my stocking every year. On the other hand, the 3-stone kit from Stu is on my dollar... enough of sandpaper and film abrasives.

Chris Griggs
12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Actaully the LV and LN gift cards work with my father and my grandmother. They always get me those. That's how I paid for my small plow plane when I bought it. My wife and my mother are a lost cause though.

My mother in law might be a good bet though...she asked me to send her a wish list so she got my LV one...fingers crossed!

Malcolm Schweizer
12-04-2013, 12:38 PM
You said you make boxes. I am assuming these are small, like jewelry boxes, so maybe you don't need a no 7, but if you do, without a doubt get the Veritas low angle jointer with the fence. I routinely joint 14' long boards and it is so nice to have the fence to keep the edge perpendicular to the face.

I didn't see any hand saws in your tool stash. How about a Bontz dovetail saw? You can make hand-sawn dovetailed boxes. Also works for finger joints.

Along the same lines as the above saw, a good chisel set would do you well.

But most of all, since you make boxes, how about the new Veritas shooting plane? It is a dream. I kid you not when I say sometimes I get it out just to look at it. I love a tool that is as aesthetic as it is useful. It's very hefty and since it is flat on both sides you can add a track on the right (for the right-handed plane) side of the shooting board to form a channel for the plane to slide in. I just got some low friction tape to put in my track. Haven't yet stuck it down, but I believe with my board, the low-friction tape, the Veritas shooting plane, and the t-track hold-downs that I installed in my shooting board, I have the perfect setup. You could use this for truing up all the joints on your boxes. I would vote this for #1 on your list. I don't know your work well enough, but am basing this on what you said about building boxes. If that's what you do most, you will love a good shooting plane.

Sam Stephens
12-04-2013, 1:44 PM
definitely a jointer plane. For small boxes and such a jack plane can do all the flattening and jointing, however even for small furniture a jointer is very useful. What about a LA jack or smoother? didn't see those mentioned. I'm sweet on mine! The LAJ is pretty hefty and also works well as a shooting plane. Also a fillister plane is pretty darn useful imo for rabbets and what not. A small plow plane is another good thought. Lots of goodies w/ that one. I wouldn't get a 2nd shoulder plane, not sure how much more it offers. A scraper plane is also on my list, but I currently look at it as a luxury item (unless Rob has a few more to sell at a discounted price, just PM me...). Then come molding planes or perhaps a dovetail plane.

Jacob Nothstine
12-04-2013, 1:50 PM
I also like the #7 use it a lot. Another idea would be a Miter box and saw. I bought a old Stanley miter box 386 line and had the saw sharpen and tuned. My electric mitre box has not been plug in since. It cuts accurate with very little noise and dust. It can also cut small piece safely.

Graham Haydon
12-04-2013, 2:40 PM
#7 - Bevel Down, Happy Christmas :)

Dave Cullen
12-04-2013, 2:57 PM
Gotta haves: Chisels, a nice straight edge, lots o' clamps, and a sharpening system of some sort.

Joe A Faulkner
12-04-2013, 5:39 PM
Chisels? Handsaws?

Bill Houghton
12-04-2013, 5:43 PM
What frustrates you with your current tools? What do you wish you could do and can't? That's the best approach. If you can't think of anything, you may be adequately tooled up, in which case, you can ask for a donation to the local food bank.

paul cottingham
12-04-2013, 7:18 PM
Shoulder plane, or a number 80 style scraper, or a decent, small carcass saw. These are all very handy.

Frederick Skelly
12-04-2013, 8:46 PM
Thanks guys. This is all good advice and is much appreciated.

Jim, Chris, I havent handled a #2 and didnt realize my grip would need to change. (But I should have, right?) Thanks for flagging that.

Joshua, your point is right on and Ill definitely follow your lead: Im going to ask for some stuff I probably wouldnt spring for myself.

Right now, I think Ill set aside the idea of a #4 1/2, that #2 and the scraper plane. Id probably buy those myself - Since theyre less than $200 each its easy to save up gift cards. I have a nice crosscut saw, a good vise and enough clamps for now. A miter box is intriguing. Ill definitely go look at the plow, the shooter and a #7. Im leaning toward buying the LV BU jointer - youve convinced me I could make good use of it, but I probably wouldnt spend that much on one plane. I have chisels, but the Narex paring chisels look awfully tempting. And Ill go look at some accesories too, like hold downs, etc.

Anyway. Thanks for helping me think through this guys. I really appreciate it.
Fred

Jim Koepke
12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Did anyone mention a fret saw or coping saw?

They can be useful at times.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
12-05-2013, 4:12 AM
Did anyone mention a fret saw or coping saw?

Anyone else think this is the absolute best woodworking oxymoron?

phil harold
12-05-2013, 8:02 AM
I want 2 of each tools that lea valley and lie nelson makes / sells...

But truly,
If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.

If I had two wishes that I could wish for this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace.. and the second would be for $30 million a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account.

You know, if I had three wishes that I could make this holiday season, first, of course, would be for all the children to get together and sing.. the second would be for the $30 million every month to me.. and the third would be for all encompassing power over every living being thing in the entire universe.~ Steve Martin

Matt Stiegler
12-07-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm in awe at the overall quality of the responses in this thread.

For what it's worth, and that's not much, I agree with others who've steered you towards a shooting plane since it sounds like a #7 isn't critical for the projects you do.