PDA

View Full Version : Question on shipping of powermatic 3520b lathe

richard e dombroski
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Having succumbed to the recent weekend sale it looks like I have a very heavy shipment coming my way. Does someone know how many crates these come in. I will need to give this some thought ahead of time
If all in one.

Thanks Richard

Joe Kaufman
12-03-2013, 10:07 PM
+1 for me

Kim Gibbens
12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
One crate only. Heavy one though.

tom gepfrich
12-03-2013, 10:23 PM
1 big box. I strongly suggest using a chain fall/engine hoist or a couple of friends. The headstock alone weighs 200lbs and is very top heavy. Good luck an welcome to the club!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2013, 11:08 PM
My PM-3520B showed up as one box on a large pallet.

I assembled mine by myself using a Little Giant ladder, a large block of wood, chains and a chain hoist. I removed the cardboard, emptied out everything but the bed of the lathe leaving the headstock in place at one end. I slid the pallet across the shop floor to it's final position. There I set up the Little Giant ladder extended as high as it would go without punching a hole in the ceiling. I placed the 6"x 6" block of wood across the top rungs. I wrapped a chain around the block and hung the chain hoist from it. I moved the headstock to the middle of the bed and positioned the ladder over the middle of the bed. I attached a chain to the bed and raised it just high enough to get the pallet out from under it. I lowered it to the floor, repositioned the headstock to one end of the bed. I moved the ladder over the other end of the bed and raised that end high enough to attach one leg assembly. Then I moved the ladder to the other end, attached the chain to that end, raised it and attached the leg assembly.

It really wasn't that hard to do by myself.

Good luck and be careful! As others stated it is heavy!

Steve Mawson
12-03-2013, 11:51 PM
I put mine together by myself. Took the box apart in my pickup and took out 1 piece at a time. Took a little time but very doable.

Jon Prouty
12-04-2013, 12:55 AM
1 big box. I strongly suggest using a chain fall/engine hoist or a couple of friends. The headstock alone weighs 200lbs and is very top heavy. Good luck an welcome to the club!
I must be more buffed than I realize - I've had to move the headstock on my lathe a few times (bought it used and moved it a number of times before coming to rest in its final home). I just hefted it by grabbing the hand wheel and a chuck on the spindle. No problems - a little awkward but really not a problem. 200lbs seems high to me. The bed is heavy - that might be 200lbs.
Jon

Brian Libby
12-04-2013, 7:35 AM
+1 to what Ken said. I used block and tackle attached to ceiling joists. Enjoy!

David Delo
12-04-2013, 7:49 AM
Depends on what accessories you might have ordered. My 18" bed extension was boxed on a 2nd pallet along with another box for extra tool rests & remote.

Doug W Swanson
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I had to haul my 3520B to the basement. I did the small items myself but used a 2 wheeler (with a 2nd person) for the headstock and bed. I did most of the assembly myself with the exception of the headstock....

Boy do I love my 3520!

Robert Henrickson
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Indeed, for basements, wheels (e.g., refrigerator/appliance dolly) and a second person are necessary for the headstock and bed.

Robert Edington
12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I did mine by my self as well. Haul out the head stock (have a place to put it before you get it, and not on the floor!) Tail stock, legs, then the bed. Assemble the legs to the bed and right it. It is just one piece at a time. The PM66 was a bit more of a challange.

Joe Kaufman
12-04-2013, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Now, I wish I would have requested home delivery instead of store delivery, although Steve mentioned that he was able to remove and assemble it from the back of his PU. Joe

Thomas Canfield
12-04-2013, 9:45 PM
I had lift gate delivery which sat the large box in my garage along with the separate box for the bed extension. I had to then take the pieces over a stone walk and down 7 steps into my original shop using a 2 wheel hand truck and manual labor. I was fortunate to have a couple of friends help. Moving out of the shop and loading into a POD for move, the lathe was moved in pieces again using the 2 wheel hand truck and strong backs to get up the steps. Extra help is real helpful. I recently added a Harbor Freight hoist and barn door track over my lathe to lift large pieces of wood for mounting and that would be helpful for assembly.

tom gepfrich
12-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I picked up a HF chain hoist which will lift anything I will ever own and was a $30 well spent.

Don Bunce
12-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I ordered one, also. It is scheduled to be delivered today!

Gonna eat a big bowl of Wheaties, and a couple cans of spinach so I'll be ready...

Doug Wolf
12-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Joe,

Good thing you got store delivery. Just have them load it in your pickup and you can uncrate it in the pickup and slide the bed off of the tailgate and install one of the legs. Then drag the unit out, move the headstock over the installed legs, and lift the other end of the bed off the tailgate. Move the pickup and install the other set of legs.

You will enjoy the results for years.

Don Bunce
12-05-2013, 4:09 PM
The lathe came today. They rolled it in with a pallet mover, right under my chain hoist.

I removed the hs,ts,and banjo, flipped the bed over, mounted the legs, set it upright,(thank you,chain hoist) replaced the hs,(thank you, again,chain hoist) ts and banjo.

I was going to take more pics, but it went so easy, I forgot to take more than these.

FWIW, the legs are 72 lbs each,bed is 210, hs is 150, ts is 47,banjo is 28 lbs.

Wired up and running in 2 hrs, 15 min.

Robert Edington
12-05-2013, 5:50 PM
You know how to move it, don't you? Mount up a big piece of green wood and turn the speed up until the lathe starts to shake and then just push the lathe where you want it!!
Or you can just use wheeled jack and roll it, but that is no fun.

RP
Brenham, Texas

Don Bunce
12-05-2013, 7:00 PM
Hey,that actually works... I attended a hands on turning class with Richard Raffan many years ago where someone had a Shopsmith that would not run at a slow speed. With a rough blank it vibrated so bad that even with two of us trying to hold it down, Richard couldn't turn it.

Gotta put some wheels on it so I can move it around in a more controlled fashion. Not gonna pay what Powermatic wants for their castors.

Ryan Mooney
12-05-2013, 7:01 PM
The lathe came today. They rolled it in with a pallet mover, right under my chain hoist.

OK sure congrats on the awesome new lathe yadda yadda :D but what inquiring minds really want to know is what's up with that old wood bed behind it, particularly the ?faceplate? on the end of it?

BTW after hoisting the tailstock on and off a half dozen times in a day those swing way units are kinda starting to look interesting... Also that chain hoist would sure be handy for some of the bigger chunks of wood!

Josh Bowman
12-05-2013, 7:27 PM
I put 3 together with one of these and fold it up on my trailer so I can use it to move the clubs lathe. And they don't cost to awfully much.

Don Bunce
12-05-2013, 7:35 PM
A little off topic, but that is a big 'ol lathe I found at a used tool dealer's about 20 yrs ago.

26" over the bed
8' bed, 5' between centers
Spindle is 27" long,3 1/8" dia solid with no 3 mt in each end, 2 1/4" x 4 1/2 tpi
Babbit bearings, flat belt drive
the bed is made of 8' 4x10s legs are 6x6s
There are no mfg markings on it, but it looks very much like one called "The Porter"

it came with 9 faceplates, 4" dia to 24" dia. That's the 24" one on the lathe in the pic. Weighs 65 lbs

The chain hoist is from HF, and the trolley is Unistrut.

The small tailstock is from a Rockwell/Delta 12" Heavy Duty VS lathe for size comparison

Ryan Mooney
12-05-2013, 9:41 PM
Thanks Don cool piece of equipment, Looks like you're getting an interesting collection there.

David Delo
12-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I removed the hs,ts,and banjo, flipped the bed over, mounted the legs, set it upright,(thank you,chain hoist) replaced the hs,(thank you, again,chain hoist) ts and banjo.

I was going to take more pics, but it went so easy, I forgot to take more than these.

FWIW, the legs are 72 lbs each,bed is 210, hs is 150, ts is 47,banjo is 28 lbs.

Wired up and running in 2 hrs, 15 min.

Nice job......you'll enjoy this machine very much. Had mine for 30 days now and all I can keep asking myself is why did it take so long to buy one.