PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining alcohol...to dry with

Ron Journeau
06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
have finally started to turn a few small bowls, mostly walnut as that is what I have on hand right now. This and other forums keep talking about using denatured alcohol as a drying process, but I have yet to find any for sale up here in Canada...any ideas where I can find it?

Cecil Arnold
06-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Try a chemical supplier, or, it may be something uinque to the US, since they add something to reguliar alcohol to make it poisonus to drink. We have it here in most paint stores where it is used to reconstitute shellac flake, ie Sears, Home Depot,and Lowes.

Jerry Clark
06-08-2005, 1:12 AM
You may want to contact Andy London -- he lives is Nova Scotia, Canada and uses the alcohol drying method. Send him a personal message.:D

Fred LeBail
06-08-2005, 4:41 AM
Ron, I have been using this drying technique for several months now and I am using Mythel Hydrate in stead of DNA. I have had no losses from cracks or splits but some blanks have gone quite oblong. I am assuming I did not get all of the center out or rough turned the sides too thin.Most were recovered.
Mythel hydrate is avaiable at any hardware store in 4 liter jugs.
Good luck, Fred

Keith Nielsen
06-08-2005, 2:25 PM
Ron,

Ran across a new product yesterday that you may want to look into. Its called Cedar Shield. It clams you can soak green wood in it and 15 min. later remove it and let it air dry. It penetrates fully and replaces the water in the wood with there product and accully makes the wood 13% stronger than it would have been. you can then finish it in any method you choose with no cracking or warping of any kind.
I'm going to try in after I get my shop back together. I'll let you know

Keith

John Carr
06-08-2005, 2:52 PM
In the US, it's denatured alcohol; in Canada it's called ethanol.

Ken Garlock
06-08-2005, 6:31 PM
In the US, it's denatured alcohol; in Canada it's called ethanol.

Just about right, John. Denatured alcohol is ethanol that has had methanol add to it to make it poison. Methanol is what is some times called wood alcohol and dead poison. Ethanol on the other hand is made from grain products and is the stuff you pay big dollars for when bought in a local bar, or "package" store.

In some areas alcohols are called "hydrates", hence the name methyl hydrate or ethyl hydrate. Is it interesting how we speak the same, but different, language. :)

Ron Journeau
06-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, for the steer , was going nigh crazy asking salespeople for DS, they all looked at me a little funny...home depot just gave me a blank stare, and the car paint store that I went to was unilingual french, and he thought I was trying to set up a still!! I have methyl hydrate here at home now, will give it a shot. Will also look into cedar shield, if I see it I will try it. Ya gotta love this place, it's like having yer grandpa right beside ya guiding you through the tricky spots. Thanks again

Christopher K. Hartley
03-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Ron, I have been using this drying technique for several months now and I am using Mythel Hydrate in stead of DNA. I have had no losses from cracks or splits but some blanks have gone quite oblong. I am assuming I did not get all of the center out or rough turned the sides too thin.Most were recovered.
Mythel hydrate is avaiable at any hardware store in 4 liter jugs.
Good luck, Fred
How does the cost compare with DNA? I just paid almost 13 bucks a gallon?

David Fried
03-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Ron,

Ran across a new product yesterday that you may want to look into. Its called Cedar Shield. ...

From their web site,
"CedarShield ... Price $49.95 per gallon $199.95 per 5 gallon pail Ships UPS " :eek:
Oh boy. Me thinks I'll stick with alcohol. Let us know how it turns out.

Dave Fried

John Hart
03-25-2006, 8:19 AM
Here's a thread where we were talking about Cedarshield a while back. I ended up not buying it.....but still interested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21113

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-25-2006, 8:41 AM
....now, this may be some kind of rule violation, but.... would good old whiskey, or voldka work....?

I've looked here in Japan, and I'm having trouble finding it, mainly due to the language barrier, (we cannot find out what it IS called).

But I have some big bottles of BAD rockgut whiskey here, and I'm thinking...... :eek:

Yep, soaking bowls in it......?

Remember what I do for a living.... :D

Cheers!

John Hart
03-25-2006, 8:46 AM
Nope...sorry Stu....the Problem is the proof. Even the rotgut is mostly water. If you could get 190 proof everclear....that would work though;)

Paul Douglass
03-25-2006, 9:37 AM
Just about right, John. Denatured alcohol is ethanol that has had methanol add to it to make it poison. Methanol is what is some times called wood alcohol and dead poison. Ethanol on the other hand is made from grain products and is the stuff you pay big dollars for when bought in a local bar, or "package" store.

In some areas alcohols are called "hydrates", hence the name methyl hydrate or ethyl hydrate. Is it interesting how we speak the same, but different, language. :)

MAN OH MAN, THIS IS GREAT!!! Dear, I have to stop at the liquor store on the way home and pick you some alcohol for my bowls....:rolleyes: Think she will believe that??

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 9:43 AM
Yeah Paul.....And she's not going to believe the quantity you need to buy either!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-25-2006, 9:48 AM
Nope...sorry Stu....the Problem is the proof. Even the rotgut is mostly water. If you could get 190 proof everclear....that would work though;)

Ya...that is what I figured.....

Hey, maybe I'll build a still.... :D:D:D:D:D:D

doug webb
03-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Got mine at a paint store....won't mention the price......my son works there. well, since you asked 35$ for 5 gal.

Chris Barton
03-26-2006, 6:55 AM
....now, this may be some kind of rule violation, but.... would good old whiskey, or voldka work....?

I've looked here in Japan, and I'm having trouble finding it, mainly due to the language barrier, (we cannot find out what it IS called).

But I have some big bottles of BAD rockgut whiskey here, and I'm thinking...... :eek:

Yep, soaking bowls in it......?

Remember what I do for a living.... :D

Cheers!

All of the above would work, and depending on prevailing local rates may or may not be less expensive than methanol. I can get 190 proof for around $11/liter. But, I can get a gal of denatured for about half of that. Either would work. I prefer to use Grey Goose as a "personal internal" preservative and use the stuff in the big blue cans for wood.