PDA

View Full Version : Subliminal LV Advertising

Chris Griggs
12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Was just looking at the listing for The Art of Joinery on LVs site and a plane in the picture next to the book caught my eye.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=71347&cat=51&ap=1

(http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=71347&cat=51&ap=1)Does that look like a larger sized inset plane with a Norris adjuster to anyone else? Yeah, I thought so.

I've seen Rob mention this thing, and I think I heard that they showed it off at WIA, but this is the first I've seen of it. And I've been VERY curious to see it since I first heard about it.

Mostly though, I just think its funny that they snuck it into the ad for the book.

You may also note there is a Narex parer in the photo and that the book was released for sale before those chisel were.

Seriously, too funny! Makes me want to start taking a closer look at all of their ad photos to see if I can get a glimpse of anything else.

Rob is sneaky!:)

roger m lance
12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Rob is a good businessman.....why put any other tools in your ads except your own ??

Chris Griggs
12-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Rob is a good businessman.....why put any other tools in your ads except your own ??

Indeed. I thought it was funny that they were tools that hadn't yet been released. And neat for those who heard of but hadn't seen that plane. Once I realized what I was looking at I was glad to get a glimpse.

Always the tease.:)

Hilton Ralphs
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes he is rather sneaky. That plane does look pretty interesting indeed.

Now that the Cyber Monday sale is behind us, we now wait for the Tenon Saw to be launched.

Chris Griggs
12-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Depending how big it is I would like to make a jack/fore/scrub out of it. I imagine it might be a more solid version of my beloved transitional jack.

Jon Baxter
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Good eye, I completely missed the parers and the plane when I looked at it. I'm watching for the plane/adjuster since it was mentioned in the WIA coverage. Between that and the tenon saws there goes more money to LV.

Rob Lee
12-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes he is rather sneaky. That plane does look pretty interesting indeed.

Now that the Cyber Monday sale is behind us, we now wait for the Tenon Saw to be launched.

OK - you guys are giving me too much credit here.... we have a lot of good staff.

That WAS a particularly good idea for a shot!

Tenon saws are up in one week..... just long enought so y'all can forget what you bought this week, still get 'em in time for Christmas, and not yet have the bills in hand for the past 30 days. Oh, and an offer you will find difficult to resist.

Yup - sneaky.

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
12-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Sheesh. I've placed 4 order with you guys in less than two months, 3 of which were in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

Fortunately, I am immune to the temptations of your saws, as that draw is overshadowed by my desire to make more of my own. Please give me a couple months before you release that Norris plane kit though...my bank account needs to recover and its not fair to give you all my money and not save any for Thomas.

Megan Fitzpatrick
12-03-2013, 1:29 PM
The book is good, too! (Just a little plug for my former boss and now friend.)

Chris Griggs
12-03-2013, 1:30 PM
The book is good, too! (Just a little plug for my former boss and now friend.)

Are you saying you guys weren't friends when he was your boss. Is he that bad to work for? ;)

I'm looking forward to that reprint of those windows and doors books he is working on.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-03-2013, 7:37 PM
Are you saying you guys weren't friends when he was your boss. Is he that bad to work for? ;)

I'm looking forward to that reprint of those windows and doors books he is working on.

I've got that one on order. Waiting with anticipation. Got a package from them the other day, but it was the other book I had ordered.

Leigh Betsch
12-03-2013, 8:26 PM
I figured it was Rob's entry into the woodie build off that he still owes us......:rolleyes:

Howard Pollack
12-03-2013, 11:09 PM
I think I remember that there was to be a woodie kit with a Norris adjuster- is that correct? -Howard

Jim Neeley
12-04-2013, 1:14 AM
Oh, and an offer you will find difficult to resist.

Yup - sneaky.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob,

If you won't tell us what it is, will you at least give us the price, so we can make sure we have our penny collection counted out??? <g>

Jim

Brian Ashton
12-04-2013, 6:38 PM
Was just looking at the listing for The Art of Joinery on LVs site and a plane in the picture next to the book caught my eye.

Snip

Rob is sneaky!:)

OK, I consider myself a bit of a tool junky but you have a problem. To be forensically analysing the various pictures on the LV website like that. Wonder if there's a 12 step program for that… When you complete it you get a set of chisels as a gift...

Rob Lee
12-05-2013, 7:50 AM
Rob,

If you won't tell us what it is, will you at least give us the price, so we can make sure we have our penny collection counted out??? <g>

Jim

Hi Jim -

Ah - I was still speaking about the saws... they will be very aggressively priced.

But we will still try to tempt you on a weekly basis going forward!

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Muto
12-06-2013, 1:05 PM
...But we will still try to tempt you on a weekly basis going forward!

Cheers -

Rob

So, what else is new? ;)
I'll be looking for the Tenon saw release. It will really help my apartment based woodworking.