PDA

View Full Version : Practice Turnings From Scrap

Mike Ramsey
06-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Some first turnings i've attempted. Almost embarrased to post these after seeing some of the work here but i have to start somewhwere. Had some Pine & Oak 6x6 post from packing crates, a small Hackberry tree i cut by the garage, and a Mtn Cedar fence post that i have been playing with.

Roger McIntyre
06-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Mike,
Great looking bowls. Don't be embarased they are very good. I am a novice from australia and been turning for 8 months. We have to startsomewhere.

Regards Roger

Ernie Nyvall
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Mike, these look great and you're not afraid to venture out with different designs being creative. LOML from across the room liked the pine goblet on your next post. I can't wait to see more. Keep it up.

Ernie

Jerry Clark
06-08-2005, 1:15 AM
Great bowls-- we like all turnings and those show a lot of style. Keep spinning and send more pictures.:)

John Hart
06-08-2005, 7:12 AM
Embarrassed??? Sheesh...Mike, those are great. I can show you some stuff to be embarrassed about... But I won't:rolleyes:

Very nice sir. I especially like #3

Mike Ramsey
06-08-2005, 9:21 AM
Thanks Guys,
I really appreciate the inspiration..

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 9:42 AM
Instant perfection is for the Gods. For the rest of us mere mortals, learning requires practice and even if you blow something up, there is value in the experience. And don't be afraid to post "practice pieces" and ask for comments if you'd like them. Generally speaking, forum etiquette doesn't allow for critique when it is not requested.

Also, keep those practice pieces where you can see them and contemplate how you might change something or do something differently with the tools, etc.

Takeshi Uchida
06-08-2005, 9:59 AM
In Fact, I'm also embarrassed after seeing other great projects of big work and great lathe.But as Roger said, We have to start somewhere.
Hi Roger, I'm a novice from Japan.

Mike Ramsey
06-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Generally speaking, forum etiquette doesn't allow for critique when it is not requested.

I'm really not sure what is meant by that...But by posting the pics I thought I was inviting critique....

Fred Ray
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Mike, if those are your first, I really want to see what numbers 1000 and 2000 are gonna look like. Those look very good to me! Congratulations! Welcome to the obsession! Keep it up!

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm really not sure what is meant by that...But by posting the pics I thought I was inviting critique....

In general, posting pictures will get commentary, but not necessarily constructive and specific critique if that is what you want. Stating in the text that "critique is welcome" insures that folks understand they have permission to explore what you have done in detail and make suggestions...and even express negative opinions if they feel it necessary. (Correspondingly, folks answering the invitation to critique still need to be courteous which at SMC is the normal behavior pattern...thankfully!) This is actually a good thing as it lets you use the forum as yet another learning tool more effectively and specifically...when you want to.
-----

The turnings you've done show you are working well at developing curves and exploring different forms. That's important for all turners to do continuously. It also lets you get more comfortable with your tools and learn to ride the bevel and develop a light touch. As you do that, you'll find that your "off the tool" surfaces (pre-sanding) will show no evidence that they were cut with an edge. From a form standpoint, look at the entire set you turned in the three threads and pick out the top two that you find most pleasing in shape. Generally they will usually exhibit continuous curves and good proportion. I happen to like the pine goblet a lot in that respect.

A good exercise for this is to just cut shapes in scrap (smaller forms are fine), sand them a little and spray them flat black. The reason for the color is to eliminate the "wood" from your vision so you can concentrate on the shape. Put them on a shelf so you can compare and contrast while learning what works best and what you need to practice more. Doing this way preserves your "good wood" to benefit from what you have learned.

Leslie Heinen
06-08-2005, 2:01 PM
Mike,

Great looking bowls! Which of these was turned from Hackberry? The reason I ask is that I have an old Hackberry in the backyard which needs to come down. I was wondering if there was any woodworking value in the tree and from your work it appears that there is. How difficult is it to work with? Was your stock still green?

Best Regards

Mike Ramsey
06-08-2005, 2:30 PM
Mike,

Great looking bowls! Which of these was turned from Hackberry? The reason I ask is that I have an old Hackberry in the backyard which needs to come down. I was wondering if there was any woodworking value in the tree and from your work it appears that there is. How difficult is it to work with? Was your stock still green?

Best Regards

Hi Leslie,
2, 3 & 4 are from a small Hackberry that i cut down. It was green and it turned really easy. I roughed turned them all then soaked in alchy, put in paper to dry and then finished turning. #4 went really oval on me because I waited to put in alchy for a few days but it came (almost) back to round when finish turning. I was surprised how dark they finished because of how light colored the wood was in the begining, almost white with sploches in it, All were finished with Tung oil except #4 it was finished with BLO