PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls push screwdriver repair

Joel Goodman
12-02-2013, 8:31 PM
I have a Millers Falls push screwdriver that's sticking and acting up. Any advice on disassembly would be appreciated. It has the return spring so I'm sure I can get into some trouble taking it apart. I'm not even sure where to start.

Bill Houghton
12-02-2013, 8:44 PM
Have you tried lubricating it? WD-40 has its faults, but it's often good for getting balky mechanisms going again. Use the straw on the spritz can, and push the sheet metal cover on the ratchet-direction selector back with the straw, then give it a good hit and try the driver in both directions.

Jonathan McCullough
12-02-2013, 9:13 PM
Usually it's a combination of grease, oil, sawdust, and other assorted junk on the helical grooves. Clean them with mineral spirits or kerosene and a bristle brush and put some 3-in-1 oil on the grooves. It almost always does the trick. Over 20+ years the grease dries up and the accumulated junk builds up.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-02-2013, 9:51 PM
The other folks have good advice. Mine was pretty sticky like you describe, I just flowed some "Tri-Flo" lubricant into it, and it did the trick. Be cautious, because if you over-lubricate it, extra oil can dribble out and get on your work. DAMHIKT.