PDA

View Full Version : My 1 Dollar Purchase

Kev Godwin
12-02-2013, 5:47 PM
I don't have a lot of knowledge of older tools. I found this Stanley-Bailey No. 4 plane at a garage sale and bought it for $1. It was in the original box but the box totally fell apart when I picked it up. It doesn't look to be used. It has a fairly consistent rust coating but does not have any pitting at all. The handle isn't cracked like many I've seen in the past. Looks like it should clean up well. Also looks to still have the factory beveled edge too. I was told it had been on a garage loft for decades. Any information on what I bought would be appreciated. Thank you.
Kev

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/KevG-photos/PC020226_zps52397193.jpg (http://s656.photobucket.com/user/KevG-photos/media/PC020226_zps52397193.jpg.html)

Greg Wease
12-02-2013, 5:53 PM
I'd wager it is a Bailey Type 19, 1948-61. With the rounded end of the blade, probably later half of that period. Great buy and should clean up to be a great user.

Chris Griggs
12-02-2013, 5:58 PM
I'd wager it is a Bailey Type 19, 1948-61. With the rounded end of the blade, probably later half of that period. Great buy and should clean up to be a great user.

Agreed. Looks like a 19 to me too. The last of the "good" Stanleys. Looks like it just has a lot of surface rust which will come off easily by any number of methods. Will indeed be a nice user with just a little cleanup. Good buy!

Jim Koepke
12-02-2013, 8:05 PM
Nice find to gloat over.

Looks like Chris and Greg have got it right on the type.

It is a little bit newer than my preferred types, but that is just my opinion.

Clean it up and show us how it works.

jtk

Bill Houghton
12-02-2013, 8:46 PM
$1 is a good score. You beat my best score along this line, my Wards Master No. 4, by an entire dollar.

Frank Wilson
12-02-2013, 8:49 PM
I'd buy that for a dollar. Looks like a fun project.

george wilson
12-02-2013, 9:06 PM
Probably the acid in the cardboard box paper caused the rusting.

Mel Fulks
12-02-2013, 9:58 PM
I hope you didn't throw the box away . Even in poor condition they add value to collectors. Don't try to repair it , just put the pieces away.

Kev Godwin
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for letting me know what I purchased. The original box actually crumbled into little bits and pieces.

I'm looking forward to cleaning it up but I have to wait for a couple months due to work and family travel. I will make sure to post any updates and results later on.

Here is my next question - Cleaning?
I've used vinegar and scrubbed rust before. I also have some TopSaver which is a rust remover/cleaner/preservative in one.

Any thoughts on rust removal would also be much appreciated.
Kev

Dave Parkis
12-02-2013, 10:41 PM
There are many ways to get rid of the rust (Evapo-Rust, Citric acid, electrolysis, vinegar, and more). My personal preference is to just scrub the beejesus out of it with a green or maroon ScotchBrite pad. It is more labor intensive, but I don't have to wait for the other methods to work. Before you tackle the rust, take it completely apart and scrub it down with a degreaser and an old toothbrush. I seriously doubt you'll find any problems, but its better to find them before you spend time removing the rust. Nice score!!

Lloyd Robins
12-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Would Autosol and aluminum foil work? It works on saws.

Judson Green
12-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I usually use bar keepers friend and a Scotch bright pad. Just make sure to dry it off very well. Sometimes I'll do a little rinse of mineral springs.

Good find!