PDA

View Full Version : drying kiln

Dominique Meuris
12-02-2013, 4:58 PM
Does someone perhaps have any extra information about this kiln that is up for auction?

troostwijkauctions.com/nl/wood-drying-device/03-18447-16066-2467648/

Dominique Meuris
12-05-2013, 1:34 PM
[QUOTE=Dominique Meuris;2187494]Does someone perhaps have any extra information about this kiln that is up for auction?

Please, someone?

Mel Fulks
12-05-2013, 1:45 PM
I once worked for a company that had a kiln that looked a lot like that. Including the rail system. It was old and they had stopped using it for anything beyond storage as kiln dried lumber became more available. There seems to be a number of different types of kilns. My guess is that some members here who have kilns are just not familiar with the one you are considering.

James White
12-05-2013, 3:02 PM
Please, someone?

You will probably have better luck on the Forestry Forum.
forestryforum(dot)com/"]http://forestryforum (dot) com/

Scott T Smith
12-07-2013, 2:20 AM
Dominique, I operate a couple of different types of kilns, and I have never seen one like that. It appears to be some type of small, "conventional" kiln. Conventional kilns use steam for heating and humidity control during the drying process.

If you only need to dry a small amount of lumber (less than 4K bd ft loads), check into the dehumidification systems built by Nyle Corporation (such as the L200H or M). They ship all over the world, are reasonably priced, and they have excellent control systems.

Dominique Meuris
12-07-2013, 8:44 AM
Dominique, I operate a couple of different types of kilns, and I have never seen one like that. It appears to be some type of small, "conventional" kiln. Conventional kilns use steam for heating and humidity control during the drying process.

If you only need to dry a small amount of lumber (less than 4K bd ft loads), check into the dehumidification systems built by Nyle Corporation (such as the L200H or M). They ship all over the world, are reasonably priced, and they have excellent control systems.

I would need to be Able to Dry around 25 cbm of sawn timber everytime.
Pine & oak wood.
What would you suggest With a budget of around 10k € ?

Mel Fulks
12-07-2013, 9:23 AM
Scott, now that you mention it,I remember the kiln I described did indeed run on steam. Had a door on it like some kind of bank vault ,or something.

Scott T Smith
12-07-2013, 5:12 PM
I would need to be Able to Dry around 25 cbm of sawn timber everytime.
Pine & oak wood.
What would you suggest With a budget of around 10k € ?

25 cubic meters works out to be around 10,000 board feet of lumber.

Pine and oak have very different drying schedules, with pine being about 8X faster drying than oak. Drying rate also depends upon the thickness; green 4/4 oak usually requires 30 days or so in a kiln - longer if it is quartersawn. Pine requires a few days to a week.

It is never a good idea to mix species of green lumber in a kiln; you might want to consider 3 or 4 smaller kilns so that you can be drying both species at the same time.

Dehumidification kilns are the most popular kiln for small operations (less than 100K bd ft charge). I think that if I were you I would look into the Nyle L500 series if you're drying 25 meters per charge, or a pair of smaller ones if you want to dry multiple species at the same time.

Dominique Meuris
12-08-2013, 4:33 AM
25 cubic meters works out to be around 10,000 board feet of lumber.

Pine and oak have very different drying schedules, with pine being about 8X faster drying than oak. Drying rate also depends upon the thickness; green 4/4 oak usually requires 30 days or so in a kiln - longer if it is quartersawn. Pine requires a few days to a week.

It is never a good idea to mix species of green lumber in a kiln; you might want to consider 3 or 4 smaller kilns so that you can be drying both species at the same time.

Dehumidification kilns are the most popular kiln for small operations (less than 100K bd ft charge). I think that if I were you I would look into the Nyle L500 series if you're drying 25 meters per charge, or a pair of smaller ones if you want to dry multiple species at the same time.

For certain it isn't the plan to Dry Them at the Same moment.
It would be pine/pine/oak/pine/pine/oak.

Do you have any idea of the price for such a kiln?
And how Much does it cost in operation costs?

Jim Andrew
12-08-2013, 5:31 AM
Dominique, what climate are you in? Your location would be positive for a reply.

Dominique Meuris
12-08-2013, 5:48 AM
Dominique, what climate are you in? Your location would be positive for a reply.

I'm from Belgium but the factory is in romania.

So we have hot summers. Around 30degrees Celsius.
But very cold winters. Around -20degrees Celsius.

Dominique Meuris
12-09-2013, 2:35 PM
I'm from Belgium but the factory is in romania.

So we have hot summers. Around 30degrees Celsius.
But very cold winters. Around -20degrees Celsius.

Nobody? :(

Scott T Smith
12-09-2013, 8:40 PM
For certain it isn't the plan to Dry Them at the Same moment.
It would be pine/pine/oak/pine/pine/oak.

Do you have any idea of the price for such a kiln?
And how Much does it cost in operation costs?

The cost depends upon the capacity as well as the sophistication of the control system. Operating costs vary depending upon the species, thickness, and initial moisture content, but you're probably looking at .15 - .20 per board foot OpEx for pine or oak. If you contact Nyle Corporation, they can provide you with a free quote.