PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Door ?

Bill Littler
12-02-2013, 3:55 PM
I'm in the process of building a floor to ceiling maple linen cabinet for a friend's bathroom. The outside carcass width is 29.50 wide and the height is 88". The unit will have three compartments porpotioned similar to that of a six panel interior door so the tallest cabinet door will be 43" approximately. My friend wants single doors for each compartment. Am I crazy for trying to build a raised panel door this size? :eek:

Any tips on how to proceed???

Bill

Dave Cullen
12-02-2013, 4:07 PM
What sizes will the 3 doors be?

George Bokros
12-02-2013, 4:49 PM
I just built some that are 45 1/2" tall and 13 1/2" wide. I am thinking the width will be the issue on them. Do they have room for doors that wide to swing? You would definitely have to step back when you open those doors. I would try to discourage them, I do not think they will be happy with doors that wide.

johnny means
12-02-2013, 5:09 PM
That isn't a particularly large size for a single panel. It does call for a scale similar to an interior door. 3/4" material with 1 1/2" wide frames won't do.

Peter Quinn
12-02-2013, 5:49 PM
I don't see it as a problem. I'd shoot for vertical grain material for the stiles if possible, and I'd like to see the doors 1" or thicker if possible to make them more rigid. But ultimately a well made frame and panel door should perform fine at that size IME. The swing is the biggest problem depending on the space. If its a cavernous bathroom then no real issue.

Bill Littler
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. The door dims are all 28" wide with overall heights of 16, 32, 36. Swing is not an issue. I believe I can do this. Good thoughts on wider stiles and rails. Any other suggestions are still welcome. I do appreciate the input

Richard Coers
12-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I would put a center stile in it so you will have two panels per door.

Bill Littler
01-02-2014, 10:53 PM

So, I'm finally getting around to making these cabinet doors and I'm a rookie :). Tonight I've milled to 1/8" of final dimension. Am I OK to leave this material without further processing until next weekend? I leave Saturday for Indy and won't be back till next Thursday. Obviously I'll know when I get back but was hoping for a little input from the experts. FWIW the material has been in my shop for 4 weeks so its had time to acclimate.

Jerry Miner
01-03-2014, 2:21 AM
Be sure to sticker it so each piece gets good air circulation (so MC remains balanced)--then you should be good.

Brian Tymchak
01-03-2014, 8:01 AM
Be sure to sticker it so each piece gets good air circulation (so MC remains balanced)--then you should be good.

+1. And I would throw a little extra weight on the top of the stack to keep the top most boards under some pressure.

Bill Littler
01-03-2014, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the input. They are all sitting atop 4 strips of 3/4" ply running the length of my table. Is that sufficient stickering?

Justin Rapp
01-03-2014, 8:13 AM
I made a fairly large door (31" wide) for a closet in my bathroom. No issues with the swing and the panel is flat. The key - make sure you use enough hinges for the weight of the door. The 32 and 36 doors might need 3 each.