View Full Version : Help Applying wood applique on painted surface

Floyd Cox
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I have a wood applique that is going to be painted a different color than the piece that it is being applied to. Also will be attaching it to the already painted piece. I was thinking of using 2 part epoxy and some really small finishing nails, any other ideas would be appreciated

Dave Lash
12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I would use Loctite Power Grab Construction Adheasive. I installed aproximately 60 feet of oak vinal base board in a friends house several years ago using Power Grab and only had to use four finish nails on the whole job. I used the tub surround version of Power Grab because the instructions said both surfaces could be non porous. I did a test on a scrap of dry wall that was painted, and when the base board was pulled off, the paper of the dry wall came off with the moulding. You could do a test with some small pieces of wood glued to a painted surface to test adneasion. You may need to use masking tape to hold the applique in place while the adheasive dries. Also the Power Grab is water clean up if you get any adheasive squeese out.

Jamie Buxton
12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Check out Roo Clear. It is a single-part clear adhesive that bonds to melamine, and painted surfaces. It is water cleanup before it cures. http://www.amazon.com/Melamine-Adhesive/dp/B0006LA184

Floyd Cox
12-04-2013, 5:07 AM
Thanks Jamie this is what I was looking for.

I would use Loctite Power Grab Construction Adheasive. I installed aproximately 60 feet of oak vinal base board in a friends house several years ago using Power Grab and only had to use four finish nails on the whole job. I used the tub surround version of Power Grab because the instructions said both surfaces could be non porous. I did a test on a scrap of dry wall that was painted, and when the base board was pulled off, the paper of the dry wall came off with the moulding. You could do a test with some small pieces of wood glued to a painted surface to test adneasion. You may need to use masking tape to hold the applique in place while the adheasive dries. Also the Power Grab is water clean up if you get any adheasive squeese out.

johnny means
12-04-2013, 10:56 AM
A few well placed pins would do just fine. A whole lot of holding power is really unnecessary. Really, do you glue picture frames to the wall? Probably not, but they still stay put. Plus, if you ever need to repaint the area, you can just remove the applique and paint without the fuss of working around it. Or maybe you simply want to change the color of the applique.