PDA

View Full Version : My Fathers Day Gift Arrived Today

Corey Hallagan
06-07-2005, 9:28 PM
As some might recall I had bought a used scroll saw sometime back that turned out to have been dropped or something as the cast iron was cracked. I only paid 50.00 for the saw on the stand and as it turns out the stand is the one that comes with the Delta Q3 saw at the time (now Q4) and it goes for nearly 100.00 by itself. Anyway, I decided to go middle of the road which was still an upgrade and got the Delta SS350 Scroll Saw. I pulled it out of the box and fixed it to the old stand. I am totally impressed with this saw so far. On this stand anyway there is only a very minimal amount of vibration throughout the speed range. With the test scrolling I did the saw cut extremely well on the pine and oak which I had drawn squigglies on like a puzzle. Turns really really well with a #5 blade and has no problem cutting the oak either. The Variable Speed is something I never had on the old and I really like this option for different thicknesses of wood. This saw has a little drawer to catch that nasty dust that piles up around the blade underneath and even better it has a removable cover to hook up a DC to it. That will be nice. I expect I will get much more use out of this saw. The blade clamps are simple and very effective. If you are in the market and have a 200.00 price range, I think it would be hard to beat the performance on this saw. All the cast iron really helps keeping the vibration down. I know there are alot nice machines, but this is an extremely nice saw for the money.
Corey
http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Ss3.JPG

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/SS1.JPG

http://www.gpxd.com/Woodworking/Ss2.JPG

Tom Pritchard
06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Nice going Corey! It looks like a great machine! It looks nice in that newly redesigned and improved shop of yours! Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing your first project on it! :)

Corey Hallagan
06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Tom! Trying to decide what the first project should be. I should note, my wife says this is my Fathersday and Birthday present... Heh Heh Heh.....

Corey
P.S. haven't seen you around much!

Kelly C. Hanna
06-08-2005, 8:12 AM
Congrats on the new saw!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2005, 8:34 AM
Corey.....Congrats on the new saw!

Roy Wall
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Corey -- that is a good looking saw!! Sturdy base...what's not to like!!!:)

Bill White
06-08-2005, 1:12 PM
Just a quick caveat. Good idea now to take off the covers and apply a little LocTite to the set screw on the counterbalance. The one we use in the shop kept coming loose and the ^R$%@# that was using it never told anyone that the saw was "makin' a funny ratteling sound". DUH!!!

Wes Newman
06-08-2005, 2:45 PM
Corey - Nice Saw. I'd like to have one some day. I need one every once in a while.

Michael McCoy
06-08-2005, 3:07 PM
Corey - I've had that model for a little over a year and it's hard to beat especially at that price. I put some half inch rubber pieces under the legs and what little vibration there was just about went away. I guess you could do the same thing between the saw and stand but I didn't feel like taking it apart again. :)

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 7:00 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Michael,I used the rubber ones I had previously between the saw and the stand and I use little squares of carpet between the stand and the floor. It is very very low vibration. The wife couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Corey

Todd Davidson
06-08-2005, 8:58 PM
Congrats on the saw Corey! Am eager to see some of your scroll work.

Corey Hallagan
06-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Todd! I am very eager to try my hand at some Intarsia. Has Kim done any of this work? I did alot of landscape oil painting for many years and it has been a while since I have done any type of fine artwork. I would like to try my hand at landscape style Intarsia.

Corey