PDA

View Full Version : This Morning's Project..Down Draft Box...

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:41 PM
I've been wanting to build a downdraft box for a while now, so I decided that I would take a break from "real" work and get one together this morning. Here it is!!

The box is 36" X 48". The sides of the box are cut from a pine 1X12. The sides are 5 1/2" tall. The interior is a 14" wide piece of 3/4 ply screwed to the bottom center with 1/4" ply angled sides supported by 1X pine blocks. The 1/4" ply is just stapled in place and everything is sealed up with some bathroom caulk.

I used a 4X10X6 HVAC register boot mounted in a hole on one end for a connection to a 6" flex hose. The boot is held in place with some screws and sealed with more bathroom caulk.

The pegboard top was a bit too flimsy in the middle for my liking, so I used a piece of 1/4"X1" aluminum on edge to support the center. Worked great. It is held in with a few more pine blocks.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:46 PM
Here is the bottom view.

I did not have a wide enough piece of 3/4" ply to make the bottom, so I attached these two pieces together with biscuits. Scrap is a wonderful thing.:D

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:47 PM
Here it is ready to go.

I thought about drilling the 1/4" holes in the pegboard larger, but it seems to work fine as is.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:49 PM
The downdraft box shares a DC gate with my Performax. I have the hoses rigged so I can just plug in which ever one I need at the time. The downdraft box flex is connected to a piece of 6" snap lock pipe that will just slip over the crimped end of the starter flange on the gate.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:50 PM
I made these little blocks out of some 1/2" baltic birch and 1/4" dowels to hold the piece being sanded in place.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:51 PM
...and here are the blocks in action.

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 2:56 PM
Once I finish using the box, I can just unplug the hose, store the box, and plug the Performax back into the gate using a 6X4 HVAC reducer on the flex.

This was a very easy and quick project that I believe will help me greatly in the shop. Collection from sanding and routing operations are always a pain. Hopefully this downdraft box will help!

Thanks,

Terry

Bruce Page
05-17-2003, 3:07 PM
Nice downdraft table Terry. I just got the Porter-Cable 505 ½ sheet sander. Is a kick butt sander but it generates massive amounts of dust! I’m going to have to make one of those just to be able to use it. (I hate dust masks)

I hope you don’t mind if I steal your design…

It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I’ve had a couple of those. -- Yogi Berra

Terry Hatfield
05-17-2003, 3:13 PM
Bruce,

We prefer the word "borrow".:D

I posted it thinking somebody might want to copy it for their own use, so "borrow" away.

Terry

Bruce Page
05-17-2003, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Terry Hatfield
Bruce,

We prefer the word "borrow".:D

I posted it thinking somebody might want to copy it for their own use, so "borrow" away.

Terry

You're right, "borrow" is a much nicer word.

Thanks!

Von Bickley
05-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Terry,

Great looking project. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Thanks Terry, I really appreciate the photo's and details. I have been contemplating this very thing for a while now. I have the dust collection situation under control pretty well with all my machines, and only have to tackle the sanding issue. I think your idea and execution is awesome....................just what I had envisioned. Like others, I may just borrow some, (or all!) of your ideas for this sanding collector. Really looks good, and thanks for the help and ideas! I will let you know how it turns out, and how effective it is. ;)

David Rose
05-17-2003, 11:15 PM
that DC! :D There won't be anything left of the hardboard let alone the pine. It's suck that purdy little raised panel door right through the pipe!

Terry, all you really need to do is put a floor sweep about 3' away from where you are sanding and *hang on buddy!*.

David, who drools over the big DC

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Terry
This design is also very neat and efficient.
It looks great. Thanks for posting the photos and design.
:cool:

Chuck Waller
05-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Terry,

Thanks for all your work in sharing the great pix of this very useful project. I need to make one soon, as I'm in the midst of a big MDF project too.

Chuck - near Nashville, TN