PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments - Thanksgiving

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2013, 7:34 AM
2 Dec 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
I can say that my Thanksgiving holiday travels are over and now it's back to the daily grind. Some may think that I don't enjoy my daily job, but I truly do. It takes a special kind of person IMHO to like and do what I do. For me, it's a great way to help people in the IT world to help protect themselves from data loss or a disaster. I am truly thankful for the job I have.

Travelled to Alabama to visit with family for Thanksgiving. It's strange how it goes as we get older, fewer and fewer familiar faces still living to share the holidays with. I truly miss my father-in-law and my dad. Both very special men that were a vital part of my life over the years we had to share together. The travels were uneventful and that's the way I like to keep it. The LOML and I were involved in an accident just over a week ago now. I have to take the LOML's van to the body shop today and pick up a rental car that they other person's insurance company is paying for. The bummer for us is that we had to rent our own van for the Thanksgiving holiday travels because the damage was enough to where we weren't really comfortable driving a wrecked vehicle over 1,000 miles. Needless to say that my day is jam-packed for the early part of today. My youngest son finally got his drivers license and his motorcycle permit expired on him, now he has to retake the written test and then take the operators test. Maybe...just maybe we can get this over and done with as well. Who knows.

The family and I ate well this Thanksgiving, visiting family was a very nice change and I even watched some college football. I'm not one to just sit and watch sports....but I truly enjoyed watching the Arkansas/LSU game, the Alabama/Auburn game, and the Nebraska/Iowa game. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much, but I really did. The LOML and LOML Jr stayed in Alabama to my mother-in-law with getting her house ready to sell and to tend to her when she has back surgery in just over a week. I won't see the LOML until just before Christmas and it's just me and my 2 son's until then. I sure hope we can survive that long without her. ;)

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past Thanksgiving weekend?
Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
12-02-2013, 8:24 AM
A couple of my brothers came in to town Wednesday afternoon so dinner was at my parents Wednesday night. Thursday morning I slept in a little, was able to sneak out to the shop for about 20 minutes to do a quick glue-up, then off to my BIL and SIL's for that side's turkey dinner. Then later over to my parents' for another turkey dinner. Friday back over there for breakfast before everyone left, then the girls dropped me and the dogs back off at home and went shopping. I worked out in the shop and had a couple contractors come by for basement window quotes. Saturday got to stay home almost all day so I was able to finish the shelf project I posted about last night. Sunday, church, LOMLjr had basketball practice so we did some shopping, then my parents for dinner so we were basically gone all day. Really proud of my 6th grade daughter. The school has a major fundraiser going on right now and we were selling tickets after 2 of the Sunday masses. We were asked to speak about it and weren't real crazy about doing it but she volunteered to do so, doing a great job for anyone, but especially a 6th grader. Effective too.

Turned down the heat in the shop when I came in last night as I probably won't really get any time back out there until Christmas. Our calendar is very full for the next few weeks and it looks like, in particular, I have zero weekend free time.

Robert McNaull
12-02-2013, 8:51 AM
The LOML and I spent thanksgiving in Iowa with a friend. With both our work schedules it is too much trouble to travel to Ohio for just a few days, especially with a 10 month old. The good thing is it gave me about 4 days worth of shop time which allowed me to finish my ductwork and get clearvue up and running. It was a great feeling to plane some walnut on Saturday and see how clean the area remained and no dust in the air! Watched my Buckeyes on Saturday beat that team up north with my boss and his family on Saturday as well. Sunday was relaxed with church and I watched my daughter all afternoon and evening so the LOML could get her homework done for her continuing education class. Found out late last night my boss is out again all this week for a funeral and was out last week as well, so it's going to be a busy week with face to face fall wrap up meetings with project sponsors next week on Monday and Tuesday that I have to prep for.

Brian Tymchak
12-02-2013, 1:20 PM
I finally cleaned all the house painting junk off my work bench :eek: and actually got to use my TS for the 1st time in over a year :D. Built some half decent looking shelves for the garage from plywood scraps. Used the FastCap Deco Speedbraces for support. Put the 5 shelves in pretty quickly, sore back, cold day, and all. Too cold to paint them to match though. That'll have to wait until Spring.

Michael Dunn
12-02-2013, 8:22 PM
I gained 13lbs... No joke. 4 day marathon of 'fine looking eats'

Bruce Wrenn
12-02-2013, 8:37 PM
Had FIVE GENERATIONS at table for Thanksgiving day. From 93 years to 14 months. Finally yesterday cleaned out half of the dust collector's socks (after ten years.) Looked like Pillsbury dough boy when I finished. Saturday morning delivered 750+ car bodies for Toys for Tots workshop this coming weekend. Will start cutting 2014 bodies on Jan 1st. Last night made up a supply cord for my son to use with stick welder first thing this morning. Saturday, son and I cut some concrete that I will remove and repour on one of my jobs. Made six pies for Thanksgiving dinner ( two each: pumpkin, sweet potato, and Japanese fruit.) Taught Sunday School lesson yesterday. Put Christmas decorations on fence along road yesterday afternoon. Usual ho hum weekend!