PDA

View Full Version : Jet 10-20 Drum Sander?

Dan Case LR
12-01-2013, 11:05 PM
I've been considering a small drum sander for a while now. My principal need is sanding resawn veneers for use in segmented bowls, with occasional use for sanding segmented rings. The 10-20 is attractive to me because it's fairly compact (I have limited space) and economical (I have limited funds as well). Many of the other low-end drum sanders will only go down to 1/8", but the 10-20 can go down to 1/32". For the next couple of days the 10-20 is 15% off, down to $650 on Amazon.

Any reason why the 10-20 won't do what I need it to do?

Thanks!

D.

Bill Huber
12-02-2013, 12:26 AM
I really like mine and for my use it works great. I have never gone down to 1/32" but I see no reason it would not work there just as well.

Here is a post on it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210472-drum-sander-help-please&p=2184068&highlight=#post2184068

Harry Robinette
12-02-2013, 1:55 AM
Dan
One of the guy's at work uses his to do quilt patterns from veneer. He says that he would like a 16-32 for his furniture but this little one is unbelievable for doing his quilt pieces.I have the big one and love it,it will go that thin with a carrier board from what I've been told but haven't tried it.
He uses veneer to make quilt blocks like the lady's do with cloth and they are beautiful.

Michelle Rich
12-02-2013, 8:22 AM
I've had one for 15?? yrs..works well for me. If you want thinner sanding, put it on a carrier board.

mike ash
12-02-2013, 8:22 AM
I use a drum sander often to take accent pieces down as thin as 1/32". I do it by the use of a sled made from 3/4" pine with a 1/32' stop glued perpendicular to the direction of travel. I find the sled mechanism gives me a more consistent thickness of the veneer. The stop keeps the pieces in place as they will want to shoot out when the sander first touches them. If this isn't clear, I could take a photo.

Mike

Paul Gilbert
12-02-2013, 10:12 AM
I have the 22/44 Jet oscillating sander. It blew the motor coupling within months of very light use in my hobby shop. Jet's customer service was attentive and helpful, but when I got the FedEx parts the shop got filled with shouted expletives that would make a sailor blush. You need tiny little Chinese hands to reach in there to manipulate set screws with an Allen wrench. I found that almost half of the screws were missing any trace of Neversieze. I finally got a sheared off screw out, but thought for a while that I would have to completely dissemble the entire machine.

A look at how the oscillating mechanism works led me to the conclusion that Jet hired some Chinese engineers who didn't graduate at the top of their class. I makes the Afro type look real smart. I locked out the oscillating feature. The next time it fails I will replace it with a flex coupling.

My advice is to sstear clear of the oscillating version of this machine. The standard version has a flex coupling and should work well. Better yet get the Performax model. That one was designed before WKM bought the company and moved production to China.

Roger Chandler
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I have the predecessor to the Jet..........a Performax 16/32 ..........it does a great job. I have not yet gotten into segmenting, but am studying the books on it and will get into it in the future. I plan to use my unit to sand segment rings flat.

If you take light passes the unit works great............I have had my unit for at least 8 years............it has worked like a charm for cabinet doors and other items I have built, and sped up the sanding process dramatically.

Dan Case LR
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks y'all for your input. I'm currently using my 13" planer to surface resawn veneer using a carrier. I usually am shooting for 1/16" thickness, and sometimes it comes out just fine. Other times--usually on the pieces with interesting figure--it comes out a mess, even with super-light cuts. I think a sander should do this better, and with the 10-20 I shouldn't need a carrier. Of all the comments I've found while searching, the worst--from a credible source, that is--have been "it can't do some things a bigger one can do" and "I don't use it as much as I used to." Certainly not perfect, but then again, so am I. :)

For better or worse, I just placed the order (it's the last day of the sale).

Thanks again!

D.